A source for slotted round head brass wood screws...?

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

...That are nickel plated?

I'm looking for someone who still stocks them -- #2 size on up. I see a number of vendors who carry them in plain brass but no nickel plated ones like what was once common years ago.

Thanks --

Chris

I too would like to know if anyone can help. I have been trying to find #2 X 1" nickel or chrome plated raised countersunk slotted head screws and cannot find them anywhere. All the places I've found start at #4

David

A friend of mine was a toymaker and he would have those type of screws nickel plated. Looked just like the items in my '31 Dodge door trim with the nickel plating and the slightly rounded head. It didn't cost him very much to have them plated.

Chris.........the smaller sizes are pretty much available from hardware stores supplying furniture makers; the larger sizes are a little bit harder to find. Especially, size 12 and up. These used to be faily common.

Guest Paterson Chris

Stainless isn't an option for me -- they have to be the real deal. I'll check those hardware stores that supply furniture makers or maybe cabinet makers would have something. And taking unfinished brass ones to a platers holds no interest for me. Platers -- no offense to you if you are -- are simply a PITA to me. Since we in America don't actually make anything anymore maybe there's an online source from India or China?

BTW, thanks for the replies so far.

Chris

Chris, Not sure what size you are looking for but this company in Australia can supply some various sizes in nickel plated round head slotted screws.

Unfortunately as I said in my previous post they cannot supply the plated #2 X 1" raised head that I am looking for.

Thanks for the replies so for but those companies do not either. I look forward to anymore suggestions.

http://www.classicfasteners.com.au

Thank you

David

Guest Paterson Chris

Boat repair! Yes, thank you. My sister in San Francisco works next to a small yard and was able to coax some from an older gent -- after he sobered up.

• 4 years later...

I am looking for also--know the thread is old, anyway, the problem I have found is that these old cars take undercut screws; hdwr store screws are around 80-82 degrees and that will push the head of the screws above the surface. If you take your screw to a hardware store and compare then you will see the difference. Even garnish rails (armrest) screws are like that. Not sure exactly what the correct angle is, but that is the biggest problem I have encountered. Will check the links above.

The best place that I have found for the 'old style' screws is Jamestown Distributors. We have two Ace Hardware Stores in our town and they are the last place on earth to find honest-to-God hardware. I would personally like to beat the living crap out of the dumb#$% that came up with those Phillips Head screws. They are not correct for automobiles built before the second world war. Regarding the Nickel plating on the screws - use stainless screws and put them in your drill motor and hit them with some polishing compound and a piece of ScotchBrite and you will have a fastener that looks for all the world like it has been plated. I think I have a box of 100 of just about every type of screw head that is available from JD. They are great folks to deal with and can fix you right up.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

They are not correct for automobiles built before the second world war.

Not sure what your source is, but phillips screws were used extensively in the 30's.

Henry Phillips invented the design in 1934 and General Motors first used the phillips screw in the 1936 Cadillac.

Frank