Early car modification puzzle

Guest 1928Packard526

Guest 1928Packard526

Almost 35 years ago, at Hershey, I snapped the photos below of an old, rather seriously modified, Buick that was for sale at the swap.

I could not locate the owner then to satisfy my curiosity about the evident mods. The cycle type fenders were of particular interest. The added grill guard was also certainly rare. The car was very complete and in reasonable shape.

Does anyone in the car community know of this car today or anything about the details of the mods in evidence.

Still curious,

Pete P.

post-50405-143138057982_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138058233_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138058236_thumb.jpg

The car looks like an early Buick that was in the collection of Walter Barren, of Frackville, PA in the earlly 1990's. It was restored by that time. The story that he told about the car was that the modifications had been made to the order of the owner that was a president of a railroad at the time (hence the locomotive-like radiator cover, etc.). It has been many years since I have seen any of his cars, or heard of him at all. He was probably in his 60's or early 70's the last time I saw him, and that was at least 10+ years ago. Hope that helps.

Sure hope that car exists AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve can walk down the hall at AACA Headquarters and find the photo of it in 1937-38 along with about 15-20 other early AACA members cars in the Philadelphia Auto Derby. .......OK it was 1936, go to the AACA 75th Anniversary site and click on Photos - 1930's then click on #4 and the above car is there. As I remember the story it was modified for some railroad engineer or railroad owner.

Guest 1928Packard526

Thanks to both franklinman and 1937hd45 for shedding some light on this puzzle.

Since the car itself was obviously an early Buick, (1914?),I posted these pictures on the Buick site in November, with much the same verbiage. I thought I could get the quickest answer on the Buick thread. After 4 months and some 174 hits with zero responses as to what the mods were about, or how they came to be, I decided to ask the question of the general hobby population. I had the above responses in a day. I will go with the full range of expertise right away with whatever puzzle I need solved the next time.

Thanks again,

Pete P.

Guest JR Cars

Yes, it is Wally's car, and yes, he still owns and enjoys it! He actually purchased the car from my employer many years ago (before I started with him), who has been kicking himself ever since for selling it. The railroad story is true. All of the fenders, etc. are one-off castings! A great little car...

Guest 1928Packard526

Leif & Dandy —

I expect Walter Barren of Frackville, PA can settle exactly what model and year the above Buick actually is. It appears my guess was off by half a decade at least, but Buicks are foreign objects in my world anyway. It was the interesting cycle fenders that caught my eye then, and still seem a handsome modification of the car. I would very much like to see the restoration. It should be a striking car.

I tried to follow the instructions of 1937hd45 to get another view of the car without success. Being a rather dense MAC user might be part of the problem. :-)

Pete P.

Guest 1928Packard526

Matt —

My thanks to all for your efforts on my behalf.

It took several tries for me to see the picture you located, (DNS Lookup error), but I do see the vehicle on the right in the photo as being in a much better state.

Since my pictures were taken in the early '80s the intervening years must not have been kind. I would love to see how the car looks today.

Thanks again,

Pete P.

1907 Buick.

I wrote a complete article on this Buick In the ANTIQUE ATOMOBILE September-October issue, 1996 vol 60, NO 5.

If you can't seem to find your copy, it is definitely a 1907 model 10. When I removed the upholstery, I found a tag stating "1907 BUICK MODEL 10 FRONT SEAT-PUT IN BOTTOMS - BUICK MOTOR COMPANY. CO."

Questions? waltb@verizon.net

Walter Baran

post-61041-14313806036_thumb.jpg

post-61041-143138060371_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the AACA Discussion forum.

Thanks for posting those photos. That is really a neat piece of history that you have there.

It is certainly interesting to see the condition in the different photos from different times from the 30's to now.

Guest 1928Packard526

Walter —

What a beauty you have created in restoring that Buick! When I first saw it, I knew it was something special and you have done it justice in every respect.

Thanks for the photo update. The pictures and the history of how the mods came about is absolutely fascinating.

Pete P.

• 1 month later...
Guest baran

Mark

Thank you for your kind invitation to attend the Buick National Meet in Colorado Springs later this year. I was pleased to see that there will be a tour after the meet. My 102-year-old Buick Model 10 is in great condition and would probably end up leading the tour.

Unlike my 85-year-old body that needs a complete restoration, my 07 Buick actually purrs along quietly doing 43 mph without any pain.

I'm sorry that I cannot attend.

God, I wish I was 75 again!

Wally