sequential turn signals

harry yarnell

i too love sequential tail lights ...reminds me of the mid-60's t-birds.i purchased mine from an outfit called.....web electric products po box 24153 mayfield heights oh 44124. the site is info@webelectricproducts.com.the operation is a one man one.if you call it will be after 4:00 pm when the owner calls you back.he is the head chef....cook...and bottle washer.i have had no problems with mine(1990 red /tan 93,000 miles). best of luck with them where ever you get them from.looks like you have a couple of choices. gryfan

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry yarnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awhile back (1-2 years?), there was someone selling these modules to give you sequential rear turn signals. I installed them on my '88, and love them. I now want to put them on my '90. Anybody remember who this was? </div></div>

Ummmmm, Harry,

Here is the first time you asked this question.

I've got CRS also. cool.gif

Greg, thanks for the link info. Ordered the STS-1 kit. $69.00, free shipping. The examples they use look great.

Forgot to mention: comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

Guest Greg Ross

Mentioned above my STS-1 Sequencers quit a while back. Corresponded with sales@webelectricproducts.com and he instructed me to remove them from the Car and return them for repair/ replacement.

Dug out the original Installation Instructions to determine how to uninstall/ reconnect wiring while the modules were removed. Noted in the instructions where they recommended the modules should be installed in the trunk for weather protection rather then just behind the fixture.

Communicated again with "webelectricproducts" indicating I had recognized I had installed them improperly/ not in accordance with their directions and therefore would instead purchase a new set.

He came right back and indicated, for my honesty I would be rewarded with replacements for the price of the shipping.

Class Act-a Web Seller that really stands behind his product.

Ronnie, if you have this Vendor listed on your Website, please put a couple of Gold Stars beside his name.

JalopyBob, just got my kit in the mail. Instructions state maximum three bulbs. That's perfect for our Reattas (three combination turn/stop bulbs on each side). There are two small modules in the kit, one for each side. Instructions appear pretty straight forward. Check their web site, they show a Pontiac Fiero with the lights sequencing (three). I personally like the way they look.

Just went through the January issue of Motor Trend. One of the upgrades for the 2010 Mustang is Sequential Turn Signals. I guess you can Turn Back The Hands Of Time. (1969 Mercury Cougar)

Just some useless information. The first car to have the signals was the 1965 Thunderbird. The feature remained on the model till the 1971 model year. The Mercury Cougar offered them from 1967 till 1973. I owned both a new 69 and new 73 Cougar XR7. I used to turn on the turn signal and sit in my driveway, just to watch them work. As you can see, it does not take a lot to entertain me. The circuit was rather complex and all mechanical. Sometimes when you stepped on the brake, you could here the relays in the trunk. The cool turn signals were also used on the Mustang Shelby Cobra and for one year on the Chrysler Imperial. The only non Ford car so equipped. As already stated, the new 2010 Mustang (assuming there is a 2010 model year or a Mustang or Ford for that matter) will have the units. This time with LEDs and all electronic.

Howard,

I never wanted to own up that I once had a '68 Cougar XR7 and used to sit in my garage at night and watch the sequentials work! But now that YOU mentioned it, I can inform those that thought it was a little weird that I wasn't the only one.

When I was in the 8th grade, my dad bought a new 65-1/2 Skylark Gran Sport. I thought that it was the coolest car in the world except that it had that wall of lights in the back. I installed a J.C. Whitney aftermarket sequential kit in 1966, so it truly was the coolest car in the world. Dad traded the Gran Sport in on a new 68 Electra Limited. He said that it was to keep me alive and off the street in the Gran Sport. He had to take me to the dealer to retrieve my sequential kit. I put the kit on a well used 61 Impala, after changing the back up lights to tail lights. I think that when Spring comes around,that my 90 Reatta will become just as cool as the Gran Sport and the Impala were.

Guest Greg Ross

Howard,

I wear mine in the Parade every chance I get!

WebElectricProducts asked for a foto of the Reatta when they shipped my new sequencer modules a couple of weeks ago. Indicated they'd let me know when the photo was posted on their Customers' page.

They plugged me in at the top of the page for this week ahead of a few other vehicles, just Mustangs and Corvettes mostly.

Thought that was pretty nice.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Today is my bithday and I recieved the sequential turn signal kit as a present. Looking forward to installing it this spring when I bring it out of storage.

Installed the compass feature, now the turn signals, this car prety much is done...

oops forgot the cassette deck!

Anyone out there interested in repairing it? I have looked at the repair instructions and am not interested in doing that project. Of course i am willing to pay. PM me if interested.

Dave, Happy Birthday. I had my cassette deck rebuilt at a shop here. I'll look up the info and PM you in case you're interested.

Also, I went out & purchased some wire to extend the wires on the sequential turn signal modules. They are definately to short to mount the modules in the trunk, as the instructions call for.

Dave, sent you a PM.

Guest Stormin

I installed the sequencers a few months ago and have had no problems with them. The only thing I notice is that by the time the outside bulb comes on, it appears to be weaker than the previous 2. Now, I have threatened to install a HD flasher but haven't done so yet.Anyone else notice this problem? Also,my turn signal chime does not work properly. No big deal.Norm

PS....They occasionally put the flasher kit on Ebay for $59.95

Guest spyhunter2k

Am I the only one planning on making both the front and rear signals sequential? The front wraparound signals seem ideal for this mod.

I never thought about the front ones... not for me.

As I stated in my previous post, when I said I got mine for my Bday I also stated that I wanted to rebuild my cassette deck, well my son in law who is electronicly inclined volunteered to rebuild my tape deck. Hopefully I'll get that back for spring.

You can't do the front ones. The turn signal bulbs have to be duel function like the rear (three on each side). The front turn signal only has one duel function bulb (890). The other lights are parking lights (single function 194a). The resister block controls whether the front bulb lights with the park lights, or flashes brighter as the turn signal.

• 2 months later...

Pictures to follow.

Remove the taillight assembly and lay on rear bumper. Twist the outside 3 sockets out of their retainers on each side and lay in the space between tailight assembly and back of car.

[You may not want to turn key to run and turn on directional as you will run down battery before you finish. You can periodically turn the car to the "run" position and check your work. I ended up using my battery charger to keep the car powered up].

First drill a 3/8" hole between the two tailight hold down bolts located closest to the trunk latch. [There is an indention there and the sequential controller lies pefectly there. Repeat on drivers side. Install grommet [not supplied] Run all the wires thru.

PASSENGER SIDE

On innermost of the three sockets scotch lock the red wire to the green wire. Then the black wire to the black wire also using a scotchlock].

Middle socket snip the green wire and attach the white wire to the green wire coming out of the pigtail. Tape off the snipped green wire end coming from the harness.

Outer socket snip both green leads, attach blue wire to both green pigtail leads. Tape off each green lead from the harness by themselves.

DRIVER SIDE

Do the same as above only you are working with the yellow wires. The one exception is that the middle outlet [on mine anyway] has the two leads. I snipped them both, causing the outside light not to work. I then had to wire the white wire to one of the snipped pigtails and reconnect the "other" yellow wire back together to be a "traveler" lead to the outside outlet.I then taped off the lead coming from the harness.

The outside pigtail only had one yellow lead which I snipped and the attached the blue lead to, also taping off the lead coming from the harness.

In essence on my car it may have looked like the middle and outside lights were reversed [compared to the passenger side], because if you remember, when I wired the passenger side, the wire harness had two green leads at the outer bulb where the drivers side had one green lead at the outer bulb.

All in all the directions were pretty sraight forward, it just takes time to figure out where to put the sequential controller and figuring out the wiring. First side took about an hour, second side 15 minutes. I had to take breaks which made my time even longer as I ran my battery all the way down and then had to wait for it to power up...

Actually the instructions say to run a wire up to the dash if you want them to be sequential[they even provide the wire].

jon is right, you can just tap into the harness at the taillight. No need to go up to the dash.

Additional note...

I think my alternator is failing. After I charged up the car I went for a spin and the volts were constantly reading 12.2 to 12.8. Never got to 13.

I did do what others have done... went into the garage at dusk and fired the car up just to watch the sequentials. cool.gif

It's kind of goofy, we like the look of sequentials, but can never see them because they only work when the car is on. And when the car is on we are typically in the car driving! confused.gif

Guest Greg Ross

I wired mine per the instructions, only at the rear of the car(no wires running fwd.)and I have both sequential signals and brakes.

Guest Drake

Hey Dave,

Just looking over the instructions in my kit. It states that the brake lights will sequence once when you apply the brakes. This is the standard wiring. If you don't want the brake lights to sequence once, it then instructs you to run the supplied wire to the dashboard, and the optional wiring.

You said you DID NOT run the wire to the dashboard, and your brake lights do not sequence once. You also said that you think your alternator is acting up, after the installation. Just a thought, you might want to recheck your wiring. the instructions clearly state that the tail lights should sequence one time when applying the brakes.

If you accidently spliced the wrong wire, it could be back feeding, causing your alternator to act up.

I never checked my brake light. I will get someone to stand behind the car and watch.

And now the truth is out, I didn't read that part because the brake part is not what I was after. I just assumed that was to make the brake work sequentially...

Now about that alternator, kind of a long story, but the alternator that I have in this Reatta is actually one from a junk yard. I had a good one with a bad front bearing, went to a junk yard to get one, while I was going to have the original rebuilt, got the junk yard one tested, it was no good but had a good front bearing. Went back told them my story, they gave me another one, telling me to bring back the no good one next time I was there. So now I am sitting on 3 alternators. So I swapped my bad front bearing with the bad junk yard one with the good front bearing, and ended up with a like new one and one with pretty worn brushes[the replacement junk yard alternator] and a junk one. Took back the junk one it to keep them happy, installed the marginal one [that just died], and this morning reinstalled the good one.

It is reading correct on the touchscreen.

Guest Drake

Dave, glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the info., I'll be installing my kit in a couple of weeks. A few honey do projects first.