BCA NATIONALS, AMES, IOWA JULY 24, 2010

RICK YOUNG

TxBuick, I understand what you are saying and agree to some point, but this car has not been on the road since the 60's. Things like greasing wheel bearings etc... I believe really need to be looked at. Lower radiator hose is hard as a rock, and cracked,as are the heater hoses. Wiper blades are shot, and would like to be able to see if it rains. Mostly rubber items from age as I really don't want to be looking for parts on the road. My brother is joining me and he will be 79 years young and knows how to keep these old Buicks ticking so we hope for a great trouble free trip. Hope to see you there.

• 2 months later...
Guest 40 Buick 51c

Got my BCA # in the mail, so now I'm official and I can make my reservations. Haven't decided if I'm going to try to drive the Buick or trailer it. I've got a lot to do between now and then. Time wil tell

A quick update;

Have some great news on the entertainment for the Friday Night Cruise to Jewell at the 2010 Nats.

We're shutting down State Highway 69 (which is also Main St)

Your Buicks will be featured as Guests of Honor with "front row parking" on Main St.

**** Starting off with

* Planet Passenger Band is a group of Professional Musicians who get together on occasion. They do Jazz, Oldies most anything

* SURFINKS (No comments about Surfers from Iowa please}. Are a local group from the 60's who have got back together after careers and raising families. Let's see; a retired Air Force Colonel , a CPA, a Conservation Officer, a Music Teacher and Professional Keyboardist. They were just inducted into the Iowa Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Some great music from the 50's, 60's & 70's.

Great fun for ALL ages here. Great Home Grown Iowa Food, and yes BEER.

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear we can get front row parking at the Jewell Cruise in. Here's a small problem I hope can be fixed.

I'd like to help out with the judging but haven't done so before. But I noticed the Boone Valley Rail Road tour, which I'd really like to go on, is Thursday afternoon which coincides with the mandatory judging school. Is there a way to do both?

Judging instruction is Thursday morning. The bus for the Train Ride leaves at Noon.

So everyone can take judge training and ride the Train.

I judged at my 1st National in Rochester. The fellow judges are great people.

It was a great experience meeting the car owners. You get to hear each car's "story".

I recall the words of Rick Schick "Don't kill the car".

Guest David G

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed somewhere, but I couldn't find the info on the BCA site... Is the event, in general, open to the public? Show field viewing, swap meet, etc? I'd assume it is, and non-members just can't take part in the show.

Unfortunately I couldn't make the Rochester MN event, but have high hopes for Ames as it is close enough for me to travel right after my year-end projects are done that week. I'm also contemplating renewing my membership.

Dave,

On the forum go to the registration form on the BCA overall site, and you will find, for a higher fee, a non-BCA member can register and participate in some of the events. And yes, the National Meets are open to public view.

You can also check elsewhere about the catagories a non-member can participate. Others may expend on this.

John

Guest David G

John, thanks for the info. If I can make the trip, I'll likely renew my own membership ahead of time. :) Not sure about showing, the 68 will probably not be my choice to drive down, maybe the 98 Riv instead. A bit rough around the edges, but more reliable at this time.

• 1 month later...

I just sat down for about the third time with the registration form...we're finally almost ready with it.

I may have asked this before, but obviously didn't make note of it if there was an answer. Any chance of child pricing for the banquet? Or some type of alternative? I know the kids would like to be there, especially considering the attention they got last year, but I find $45 for a 10 year old a bit tough to swallow. Worst case, I buck it up, so it isn't a make it or break it thing. Teresa's 14 now, so I guess I'll need to start getting used to not thinking of her as a child, although she'll always be my little girl.

Thanks.

Derek,

We talked about having a "Kids" banquet. Separate room with a "Kid Friendly" menu. But the hotel was going to charge us close to the same amount for that plus we would have to hire or provide chaperones. "Yes Kids, come have dinner with our armed guards, you cant leave this room for 3 + hours." Didn't think it would work.

So, if they eat in the main dining room, they pay the same price.

I wish we could have worked something out....

I realize this was a tough decision, but I have to raise my objection here as well. $45 for a child meal just to be able to sit at the table with their parents is a BIG problem with the BCA and I'm one of your supporters when it comes to everything else.

Kids are the future of this club....ANYTHING that makes the nationals less family friendly is going to have a long term negative impact.

Everything that goes into a national should be looked at through the lens of "family friendly".

My concern also. Maybe not the "kids are the future", but the parents with younger children sure are. Going forward, we need to find a way to include children. I cannot believe that any caterer could not include something for children - somehow.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Derek,

We talked about having a "Kids" banquet. Separate room with a "Kid Friendly" menu. But the hotel was going to charge us close to the same amount for that plus we would have to hire or provide chaperones. I wish we could have worked something out....

I am pretty sure my wife would be willing to assist with a kid friendly dinner event during the banquet.

My daughter participated in a "seperate room" event in the Plano Texas National meet. Frankly, I don't know many kids that could sit through the BCA awards banquet without getting bored and fidgity (sp). I get distracted during the banquet as well.

I say, immerse the kids in all things Buick for 95% of the meet and during the banquet my wife and some other volunteers can arrange something. For instance, less then 2 miles from the hotels is a "Happy Joe's Pizzeria that my daughter has attended birthday parties at - they have games, eat pizza and ice cream then come back to the hotel.

Just one idea. The cost would be a lot less then $45 per ankle biter.

I have another question for the Organizers, as many of us start our plans for Ames. Because we have the Judging on Friday, rather then the usual Saturday, for this year's National, there will likely be some adjustments to the various meetings, such as Membership, BOD and others.

Do we have an outline for the major meetings at this time, or when can we expect it?

Thanks,

John

Bill,

if it is there, I might be looking in the wrong place. I am looking for info on such things as I noted. I know the tours and activities are there, but not the meeting schedules, that I can find. Maybe I am looking in the wrong area.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice slacks and a nice shirt. Lots of people wear coats, some ties if you feel comfortable in that. Women, nice dress or slacks and a nice blouse. Be aware, most of the time it is cold in the Banquet so have her bring a sweater if she gets cold easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, You should receive a letter confirming that you are registered. He may be running behind as they had a death in the family.

He also has received 105 registrations in the past few weeks, so along with other things, he may really be behind. We are now up to over 300 registrations.

He has told us he was going to catch up this weekend.

You will get a packet at registration with all your tickets and information in it.

I got caught up this weekend. All confirmation letters were dropped in the mail yesterday. As Bill said, registrations have been pouring in with a week to go. The deadline of July 10 is a postmark deadline, so you have to the end of this week to get it in the mail and still get registered.

This is shaping up to be a nice show with lots of interesting cars, many of which are coming to their first BCA Nationals.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too late to sicn up for the PWD AfterTour Sunday - Tuesday after the BCA National Meet.

Contact Bryan “Jake” Moran: abc.moran@netzero.com and let him know what car and how many people will be participating so he can make the arrangements for the right group size. This is a pay-as-you-go car tour, so participants can join the AfterTour for just a day or two if they wish. Post war cars are welcome as long as 40-45 mph is not too slow.

This hub tour will be based at the Holiday Inn Express, 2600 East 13th Street in Ames Iowa 50010. The tour starts Sunday morning and ends Tuesday immediately after lunch. You may call the hotel directly at 515-232-2300

• 2 weeks later...

A very big THANK YOU to all that produced this show in Ames. The setting at ISU was tremendous and the show was very enjoyable. Couldnt ask for anything better.

I believe the mixing of a BCA and an open show was a fantastic idea. Besides the expose of old Buicks to the public, we meet plenty of people from other groups who were there with their cars. From what I heard they all enjoyed the show combination. Maybe something to continue doing in the future.

You all deserve a pat on the back.

Mark

There were many good aspects to this meet but the one I loved the most was the walk out from the Scheman Center being able to walk an elevated surface to give us a different perspective to the show field.

True, in past events you could "see" the show field or some Buicks from the 2nd 'indoor' usually tinted windows of the convention center or hotel, but the open air aspect of being able to walk all the way around was pretty cool and should make for some good elevated shots.

There were many good aspects to this meet but the one I loved the most was the walk out from the Scheman Center being able to walk an elevated surface to give us a different perspective to the show field.

True, in past events you could "see" the show field or some Buicks from the 2nd 'indoor' usually tinted windows of the convention center or hotel, but the open air aspect of being able to walk all the way around was pretty cool and should make for some good elevated shots.

AMEN!

That was fan-dam-tastic!

Not sure how easy that will be to reproduce in future years though!

I would love to see some panoramic photos taken from the middle bridge.

post-41915-143138269302_thumb.jpg