How the West Is Being Lost, and What Can Be Done To Save it Within AACA

Dynaflash8's earlier posting got me to thinking about this dilemma and Deering's input strengthened my resolve to try to get us to thinking about how to do something other than moan and groan about it.<P>I would like for all of us to try to keep this thread on this one subjuct and try not to wander far afield in our posts. I am frequently guilty of serious wandering!! blush.gif<P>Father Ron and Dynaflash8 are both in leadership positions in AACA and constant monitors of this DF. They will read and can take back any constructive suggestions and/or concerns we express.<P>This is NOT a youth issue, although that is part of the problem throughout the Club. This is a perception, participation, support and many other issue within our Western territories.<P>I have a lot of thoughts and a lot I would like to say on this issue, but for now I will hold off and see where this thing goes.<P>I leave for Aptos in four days and will be gone for 12 days. I'm not abandoning this thread I'm trying to start, just on hold for a while. I will be here through Tues. 8/8<P> smile.gif Howard smile.gif<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 08-04-2000).]

Howard: While my response doesn't apply to the proper Geographic region (live in NJ)I just found out that the AACA has a chapter right here in the town I live in, but I had never heard of them until I looked up on this website. <P>Since the only car publication besides Hemmings that I subscribe to is the Cormorant (Packard Marquee), maybe the AACA should advertise or contribute articles to the marquee magazines? <P>By the way, Monday I will be calling the contact listed to find out about joining now that I know they are here.<P>

Guest c.johnson

I agree to the last posting. I live in Utah, and although I have heard of other Automobile Clubs, (Horseless Carriage, and many of the Ford & Model T associations) I had never heard of AACA until I found it on the Internet. <P>Although I make this observation, I'm really not sure what to tell you about how to solve the problem. But I am willing to do what I can to solve it. <P>I think AACA is a wonderful concept. I doesn't matter how mechanical proficient you are, what type of vehicle you have, or even if you really have an antique vehicle. This is truely and inspired idea.<P>cj

cj ~ We are a well kept secret, aren't we? We have to find a way to change that.<P>Now for my first premise: Does the fact that there are no members of the AACA Board of Directors from WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI, have any actual or emotional effect on our position in the West? This situation occurred through NO deliberate action on the part of the AACA leadership! It evolved! Is it importent to us out here in the Great American West to have one or more representatives on the AACA Board of Directors?<P>We are not alone! The AACA Central Division has only ONE representative on the Board. The other 20 are from the Eastern and Southeastern Divisions. It has evolved that way. I was on the Board from 1983 to 1997 and I can assure you NO ONE did anything to deliberately create this situation.<P>More thoughts from the rest of you before I go on.<P> smile.gif Howard smile.gif

I am a life member of the AACA and have been associated since I was about 4 years old. Back then you could get rides in cars, steam , brass, whatever. In El Paso there is a HCCA, and these birds did everything they could to drive members kids out of the hobby. I have never seen a more degenerate bunch! This seems to be all to much the norm around the country. Greedy old men to stuck on their cars to share them with the younger generations and to discuss them with them. If I hurt some feelings here, so be it. There needs to be a drastic change of attitude with some collectors.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveF:<BR><B>I am a life member of the AACA and have been associated since I was about 4 years old. Back then you could get rides in cars, steam , brass, whatever. In El Paso there is a HCCA, and these birds did everything they could to drive members kids out of the hobby. I have never seen a more degenerate bunch! This seems to be all to much the norm around the country. Greedy old men to stuck on their cars to share them with the younger generations and to discuss them with them. If I hurt some feelings here, so be it. There needs to be a drastic change of attitude with some collectors.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I will assume you are talking about children, i.e. 16 and under. Are you aware that AACA has developed youth organization with its own newsletter, "Wheels"? Have you been to a National Meet in the last 3-4 years, where children are gathered together and one of our club leaders dissects a car with them...this program is called "the car and its parts"? The current man doing this is a genius with kids that age. I've never seen anything like it. <BR> It may very well depend on where a person lives as to whether they are close enough to attend things and see what National is trying to do for children. And too, if the children are enthusiastic, it is likely their young adult parents will be more interested and it is those people we must look to to lead the club as we who lead it now age.<BR> Consider this. You could start a new AACA Region in your immediate area with only 15 members. You could be a real leader, and in so doing, mold that Region along the lines you espouse. When I retired I moved to an area with 5 AACA members. My wife and I drove over 1,000 miles finding people with old cars. We called a meeting at our home, paid for the refreshments and formed the club. I was first president, first meet chairman, still am editor and we have over 100 member families now. We are sponsoring a Divisional Tour next year. That isn't bragging. I'm making a point. If you want something to happen, you have to put your own neck onto the chopping block and be willing to give years of your life to your cause.<BR> By the way, I used to travel to El Paso on business and I loved the place.<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 08-05-2000).]

While it may be true AACA is trying to encourage the younger generation it is very true a lot of collectors do discourage the kids. The Mercedes club we used to belong to made arrangements to see the Clive Clussler collection in Denver and we were told NO CHILDREN , when we protested we were informed that it was the requuest of the currator not the club. Our 6 year old daughter has grown up around old cars and her prefferd ride is in the "old old old car" a Jordan Playboy.. We felt the club could have made a stand for the kids and did not. EX nercedes club members

CMJ: I go back 38 years in AACA. Read my comments in the other post. Kids were always welcome in the Chesapeake Region where Howard , John Packard and I started. We took our kids everywhere except the club meeting and that was my once a month babysitter night. AACA has always been a family club, and one more thing. AACA is the only organization I've ever been in where lawyers, doctors, plummers and carpenters and all in between are bought together and one, all friends, no status, because they love the cars. And although that may sound like pie in the sky, it has always really been true. <BR> But this thread is about HOW TO GET AACA MORE RECOGNITION AND MEMBERSHIP IN THE WEST.<BR>Maybe I should suggest the other thread that I started to continue discussion of the younger member aspect.<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 08-05-2000).]

Father Ron and Brother Earl,<P>Can you get the Vice President of Membership to tune in on this discussion and take notes?<P> smile.gif Howard smile.gif<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 08-05-2000).]

Several thoughts have emerged on this thread that are very interesting. One that really stands out is the statement by two DFers that they found AACA on the net. While that says something about our inability to get the message out there through other means, it also tells me that we are finally doing something right on the net. I am confident that the continuing development of this website will help, but I agree some other steps are required.<P>There have been people who have suggested that we open the doors for other groups in the old tin hobby. I am reading here strong support for not changing our fundamental principles. I agree, we can not be all things to all hobbiests - we just need to reach the people who have not found a comfortable home in AACA.<P>Howard makes an excellent point regarding AACA representation in the Central and Western divisions. We need it and we've made significant attempts to place good members from those areas on the ballot for National Director. The next ballot is coming out in a couple of months. If you feel strongly about the need for a better distribution of leadership - VOTE!

I too did not ever hear of the AACA until I started lurking around this forum. Since I have found you all I have joined and have talked to the answering machine of the local chapter a couple of times but have not gotten an answer.<BR>I wish there were more events down in the Southwest (TX, LA, NM) so I could participate. But this is a problem I have with the BCA too so its not unusual.<BR>Anything I can do to help in this effort, would make me and my wife happy. We enjoy the shows and events we have been to in the other parts of the country.<BR>Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Stoneberg:<BR><B>I too did not ever hear of the AACA until I started lurking around this forum. Since I have found you all I have joined and have talked to the answering machine of the local chapter a couple of times but have not gotten an answer.<BR>I wish there were more events down in the Southwest (TX, LA, NM) so I could participate. But this is a problem I have with the BCA too so its not unusual.<BR>Anything I can do to help in this effort, would make me and my wife happy. We enjoy the shows and events we have been to in the other parts of the country.<BR>Bill </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know where you are Bill, but LA is pretty active and we have a Divisional Tour coming up there next year in the Baton Rouge area. As for Texas, there are a couple of really active Regions in Texas. Last year the Region in Paris, TX put on a National Meet and it was terrific. Glad you found us.<BR>

OK all you Westerners, lets get out the vote.<BR>I believe the AACA Nominations Committee is going to give us one or more Western Division members on this year's ballot. We need to vote for these individuals so that we can get representation on the AACA Board, somebody right there to state our case. We don't want to revolutionoize the Club, just give us equal opportunity.<P>Now what can we do to try to get our man [person, for the politically correct] in?<BR>First and foremost, VOTE. You can bet everybody from the East and South who votes, votes for the people on the ballot from their part of the country. Why not? It is a perfectly reasonable act. If you don't know 7 people on the ballot, and most of us don't, then most of us vote for those we know and guess at the rest. What more logical guess than people from our home area?<P>Now comes the problem. Our membership numbers in the Western Division are the smallest of the 4 divisions. We need EVERY ONE of the members in this Division to vote.<P>Bur people forget to vote, lose their ballot, don't think it matters etc. Think about this as a means of getting more ballots returned. All Regions, pick a ballot night and urge all members to come to the meeting and bring their ballots. Have a discussion period and then have the members complete the ballots and seal them in the envelopes.<P>THEN, collect the envelopes and have the Region Secretary put them in ONE LARGE ENVELOPE and mail them to Headquarters. This procedure is acceptable and certainly will result in a greater number of ballots being returned.<P>Think on this one everybody out here in the Great American West. Don't not vote merely because you don't know 7 people on the ballot. Vote for our person and then like everyone else, guess at the rest, but VOTE smile.gif Howard smile.gif<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 08-05-2000).]

In the original post on the "AACA Grandaddy of all -----" thread, I said "-----I never realized what AACA was." I did not mean to imply that we should amend anything in our Philosphy, Organization Structure, or Logo. If asked to write a succinct Mission Statement for AACA, I think it would be: AN ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO THE PRESERVATION AND AUTHENTIC RESTORATION OF VEHICLES OVER 25 YEARS OF AGE. If that Statement is correct; Let's tell the World . It doesn't matter if it is on a Scroll or Banner outside the Duryea oval or entered as supplementary text to accompany activity announcements made to the general public. We have made our objective clear and hopefully those who prefer non-authentic types of vehicles won't be misled by an unstated position. As far as the term ANTIQUE is concerned; our vernacular has diluted that term almost as badly as CLASSIC which I think translates into: "Built before Cupholders were Standard". My apoligies for these difficult to comprehend epistles. I only have Web TV and use a primitive keyboard. No matter how You indent or columnize, it all gets condensed into mush when transmitted. Thanks For Listening; Tom

Howard ~ First, I am all for your suggestion of "Ballot Night". Tell us now WHEN the ballots will come out so we can have ample time to plan have a dinner meeting or a covered dish supper. We all know that the one guaranteed way of getting members to a meeting is to say "food". We can make their admission ticket their ballot. Second, I am 100% in agreement with your wanting all AACA members to vote. And with regard to the West being represented I am also in agreement. As a matter of fact, I voted for the candidate who was running last time. At the time, I didn't know him (my loss) so I called someone who I thought would. My point is that although we desperately need Board members from the Western Division, we also must consider their interest in AACA and their ability to do the job. There are several members "out there" who I know that probably would love to be on the Board but I would be gravely concerned if they were. This is probably the exception to the rule but something to consider.<BR>Patt<BR>P.S. My "western candidate" did not get elected but if is in the running this time you can bet I will campaign fast & furious.

Personal history: I found out about and joined the AACA when I lived on the East Coast. There was a BIG photo of some antique cars in the Baltimore paper and a write up about a show the next weekend at the streetcar museum. I saw it, I went, I met some nice people, and I joined both the AACA and the Chesapeake Region. That simple. I have maintained my national AACA membership since then. I moved to California over 20 years ago. First to the Los Angeles area, and a couple years ago to the San Francisco Bay Area.<P>Observations:<BR><ul><BR>[*]LA is a waste land for the antique car hobby. Most of the car culture there resolves around "tricking out" cars in one way or another.<BR>[*]When I first moved to LA I made an effort to contact the local AACA chapter nearest my house. It was a very insular group that did not seem to want new members.<BR>[*]The Bay Area is much more "old car friendly" Many more active clubs and many events that are co-sponsored by more than one club. But the AACA chapters seem to be off by themselves. Based partly on my bad experience in LA, I have not directly contacted the local AACA regions. I have, however, kept my eyes out for evidence that they are active: Newspaper articles and photos about events, etc. None.<BR>[*]Last year I decided at the last moment to go to the AACA Western Div. show at Morgan Hill. I saw nothing in the AACA magazine about the exact location, so I simply drove down there figuring I could pick up a local paper and find a write up. Nada. I checked the bulletin boards at a couple of auto supply stores. Lots of other stuff including information about other club events. Nothing about the AACA. I finally found the show field by systematically driving around the town. How do you expect non-members to know you exist if you do no publicity outside of the club?<BR>[*]Typically, when I go to a club event for club A, I see or hear information about events for clubs B, C, & D. There is a lot of inter-club exchange of information. But not between any of the local clubs I belong to and any AACA chapter. Other than the national magazine (and this web site) I could be in ignorance that any region or chapter of the AACA exists in the area.<BR>

<BR>Publicity! Get the word out to more than your own members. Putting on a show? Get it in the newspaper, get it on the radio! Organizing a tour? Invite members of other clubs and get it in their newsletters!<BR>

Guest rcirilli

Having had lived in the Northeast, the Southeast and again in the Northeast I feel I must chirp in. I lived in PA when I joined and had looked for years for a club. It turned out one of the original regions met less than five miles away. I found them through a mall show they were active with. I went on to be President of that region and later a region in SC. Back to the point, when I moved to SC I quickly learned that the consentration of involvement was in the states surrounding PA. A hand full of members were active but as many were active because they had moved from the northeast. A few of us worked very hard to get interest built. Today the southeast is strong but it took a lot of work and migration. I think the biggest need for spreading the word is advertising. We've talked about it a lot over the years but it always comes down to the cost. The net is great but I think we need more. Maybe things like sponsoring an ad or writing articles in the scouting publication or adult Publications. Maybe something as simple as the Wall Street Journal! Of course a bunch of us could move to Wyoming or Colorado!

I have been reading about the lack of AACA members in the West for several days now and I think I should make a few comments about this.<P>There are several reasons for this lack of AACA members in the West.<P>The West was won with an independent way of thinking in the not so distant past. This mind set still exists in many of the people in this part of the country.<P>The great distances between towns and the sparse population in this part of the country makes it a whole different world out here in the West.<P>Most of the AACA regions in the West are very small in comparison to the regions in the East. A large region out here may have as little as thirty members and others up to seventy-five members. You have to remember that I live in a state that has less than 500,000 people. Not so much now, but in the past, the people in this part of the country have gotten the feeling that since we are so far away from most of the national activities and our small size---we didn't count.<P>There have been several national board members from the Western Division in the past, in fact one of them was national president. It seems that when there is a person who makes it to the board they appear to be assigned jobs that the others don't want to do. This does not go unnoticed by the people in the Western Division.<P>With the lack of traffic out here we are able to drive our antique autos most anytime and anywhere. Only recently has AACA said much or promoted driving the vehicles. Most of the folks here don't have the luxury of being able to go to that many national meets. Most of them are over 1,000 miles drive one way to attend. It gets very expensive and takes a lot of time to attend these meets. In the past the fact that AACA has pushed the trophy part of antique auto hobby so heavily has scared some off.<P>In conclusion---the small population in most of the west, the distance to most events, and the expense of the hobby in general all contribute to the small membership of AACA members in the West.<P>Dan<BR>

Dynaflash8 -- Sorry I will not be in Aptos this next Saturday, family obligations are taking me out of town in the opposite direction. Aptos is a nice area with great weather (might actually be a tad on the cool side depending on where in the area the show is).<P>Thanks for the vote of confidence in my abilities, you are much too kind. I doubt I'd have any great impact on a local region or chapter.<P>While only pre-registered AACA members can show cars at a national event, inviting as spectators the general public is a good idea. Also there is no rule that I am aware of that limits local tours and shows sponsered regions to be limited to AACA members only. <P>Advertise! Get the word out! Get the general public and other antique auto enthusiasts to come and see the quality of the cars and the people involved in the AACA.<P>The Santa Clara Valley Chapter of the Model T Ford Club has a very active schedule, advertises it to non-Members, and welcomes just about any one to particpate. I've taken my Plymouth on a number of their tours. And now I find myself toying with the idea of getting a Model T. Moral: Reach out (advertise), welcome visitors.<P>D Binger -- I don't think that the large distances or generally thin population are a big factor. There are plenty of large active car clubs, at least in California.<P>

Dan ~ There have been 2 National Presidents from the Western Division. Ralph Majors in 1965 and Lloyd Riggs in 1993. Both were from California. The West used to be well represented. Your father and Bill Hinkle served on the Board. 2 from Wyoming. <P>That was the basis for this thread. Why are we losing the West? Maybe the West has become so different and is so far removed from the AACA's founding area that it can't be saved for AACA<P>Are such thoughts heresy?

In response to Tod's question - - when there has been a national rep from Calif they too seem to forget that the space between the Calif border and the Mississippi river even exist, unless they want something. California is still 1,000 miles away from here, and I don't see very many you folks from California getting to anything we put on here. The distance between towns does make a diffrence.<P>Maybe there should be another division in the West.<P>Now I have a question - - why all of a sudden is there such an interest in the Western Division?<p>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 08-06-2000).]

Patt ~ I was in the middle of answering you when good 'ol AOL cut me off. If the dinger dings again I will just post what I have written and then come back and finish.<P>The ballot is included in the mailing envelope of the Sept-Oct issue of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE, which should rolleyes.gif get to us about Oct 1st. That makes November a good time for ballot night before people misplace their ballots.<P>I feel we must rely on the AACA Board of Directors Nominations Committee to screen the pool of potential candidates and select a group of well qualified candidates for the ballot. Since we all cannot possibly know all of the candidates we must rely on the judgment of the Nominati ~ AOL did it again<P>I'm back ~ Nominations Committee. Unqualified wannabes will always be around, but the unqualified ones stand out like a sore thumb when viewed by the Nom. Com. I suppose we have never had a National Director who didn't "wanna be one". Why should we. You better want it if you agree to run. It can be a hard job if done right and the pay is lousy smile.gif<P>Enough! ~ smile.gifHoward smile.gif<P>Damn AOL. No time to proof read after writing, hence the second edit!<P>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 08-06-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 08-06-2000).]

I was at the Tucson National, I don't know if there was a seminar for kids, but there weren't many kids around. As far as your statement, "only 15 members" VMCCA requires only 5, so we established a VMCCA club instead. We also started a cruse night, and if it weren't for the streetrodders, we wouldn't have enough cars to do anything. We have had the Cruise night featured on radio, newspaper, and now this week TV, but the guys will not bring cars out. We have a live band, door prises, etc. I was very activein New York with AACA, but this isn't about me, or AACA politicts. Lower your number needed to start a club, and that may help. HCCA which has been in El PAso since the 1950's, and has soured many people against antique car clubs, is down to about 15 members. I think your expectations are unrealistic with Western clubs. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynaflash8:<BR><B> I will assume you are talking about children, i.e. 16 and under. Are you aware that AACA has developed youth organization with its own newsletter, "Wheels"? Have you been to a National Meet in the last 3-4 years, where children are gathered together and one of our club leaders dissects a car with them...this program is called "the car and its parts"? The current man doing this is a genius with kids that age. I've never seen anything like it. <BR> It may very well depend on where a person lives as to whether they are close enough to attend things and see what National is trying to do for children. And too, if the children are enthusiastic, it is likely their young adult parents will be more interested and it is those people we must look to to lead the club as we who lead it now age.<BR> Consider this. You could start a new AACA Region in your immediate area with only 15 members. You could be a real leader, and in so doing, mold that Region along the lines you espouse. When I retired I moved to an area with 5 AACA members. My wife and I drove over 1,000 miles finding people with old cars. We called a meeting at our home, paid for the refreshments and formed the club. I was first president, first meet chairman, still am editor and we have over 100 member families now. We are sponsoring a Divisional Tour next year. That isn't bragging. I'm making a point. If you want something to happen, you have to put your own neck onto the chopping block and be willing to give years of your life to your cause.<BR> By the way, I used to travel to El Paso on business and I loved the place.<P>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 08-05-2000).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Let's stretch our imagination a bit and sponsor a cross-country tour stopping at AACA Regional way-stations along the route. Some of the most interesting automotive history that I have read features individuals who accomplished this feat in the early days of motoring. Participation in this trek would not be for everyone; but could generate a lot of interest at the local stops and perhaps generate some media coverage. I'm thinking tour, with stops to "smell the roses"; not a race.<P>jnp

Howard, shame on you! But then again, you know where of you speak!<BR>Granted what I am about to mention won't have any effect on (or is it affect? I can never remember!) the Western Division but it could on other areas of the country. Am I right that if there is an existing Region and another group desires to form a neighboring region within a cerain radius, the "newbie" region can have their request for a charter refused? <BR>Howard, I am still working on trying to get a shipment of KK's to Aptos but it's hard as the dickens to past enough feathers on the boxes to get them over the Rockies! Will keep trying tho.<BR>Patt

Thanx Patt smile.gif I'm suffering from KK deprivation. wink.gif<P>As to the matter of regional restrictions I am going to defer to FatherRon on that issue. He is still in a position of leadeship; I am not. Bad enough with me stirring the pot; you don't need me interpreting policy smile.gif ~ Howard

You guys are just trying to keep me busy. Dan - how dare you ask why all of this sudden interest. Since we've known each other you know that there has always been an interest in the West and a concern about how to improve AACA representation there. Heck, we even sent you Howard and it hasn't helped (yet). As for the great Desert, out there, I'll one up you with '53 to '55 in Blythe, CA (you know the old story - if they ever give an enema to California it'll be through Blythe), but Dan is absolutely correct, those of us East of the big M tend to forget the distances.<P>Finally, at least for this response, a "Region" requires 15 members - our current membership policy is that a spouse is a member - so that means only 7 married couples and a single. A chapter only requires 5 members, so contact a region somewhere and form a chapter. Then grow and become a separate region - it's been done before.

Wow, so much good stuff here - plenty to work with. I like the thoughts on publicity. In fact I started a thread a while back that I wanted to make into a seminar on how to publicize our activities - both Regional and National. Got some response but not as much as I had hoped, so all the thought here has given me renewed enthusiasm for the project. It would be a great seminar for Philly (which of course is in the East), but also a good subject for presentation when we take the seminars "on the road" later in the year to a more distant meet. This past year's seminars in Nashville were very well received, and the year prior in Paris Texas, they were superb!<P>I to have a long history - started with Chesapeake Region back when Howard, Dynaflash, Todd, and even Earl Beauchamp were active there. I was young, had a family and couldn't affort a hotel room so we carried a tent to the National meets. I remember the things that got me involved and kept me going, and I can still name the people who gave me the nurturing and encouragment to participate - Richard Byard, Art Rutledge, and many others. So, after looking at all the discussion about attracting members - young, old, east, west, or wherever, im left with the question "what are we doing as individuals to attract new members, encourage their participation and nurture there spirit and enthusiasm for our hobby? AACA can certainly improve publicity and do a host of other things (like keep this wonderful Internet thing going) but we must all bear a lot of individual responsibility for the future of our club. Sign up a new member. Write an article for your local newspaper. Contact your local school and offer to let the kids look over your car when they study history. Vote! It's gotta happen one person at a time. Do something.

Father Ron ~ As to sending me out here - - People try to get rid of their liabilities and keep their assets. Rick ~ That's why I <BR>get passed around so much. <P>Seriously though, Terry is on to something. We can all offer our best ideas but they have to be acted upon not just by the National Organization but by each one of us individually.<P>If we keep on doing what we have been doing, we will keep on getting what we have been getting. Which is nowhere!<P>Vice President of Membership, WHERE ARE YOU?<P> smile.gifHoward smile.gif

As to why I asked about the sudden interest in the Western Division - - - It is because I am a little gun shy when people start asking about this part of the country. It seems that when there is an interest, it seems that some how we get the dirty end of the stick. When the government starts looking around out here we lose some more of our warer righrs, or they put more ristrictions on public land, etc., etc. Kind of like the great treaties they gave the Indians about a hundered years ago. It is even worse when there is an election coming up, and if you have noticed - - there is. That is why I asked why there was a sudden interest in the Western Division.<BR>As for the desert thing - - it is part of life out here.<P>Oh, by the way - - -Howard is OK as long as you keep him busy. smile.gif<BR> <BR>Dan<P>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 08-07-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 08-07-2000).]

Terry I did all those things (or 4 out of 5 anyway) right here. Started a Region. Have gone from 5 to 105 national members in the area. Yes, it works. But, when I first began talking with my post and Howard followed with his, the converstation was aimed at growing the West. How to? I wonder if those of us who have always lived in the East understand what may be different attitudes or needs by folks out West. So, I wanted some of them to tell some of us if those things exist. I think Deering, Tod, Big Bird, the fellow in El Paso, Howard, all of them have made some great point/suggestions here. And, yes, Howard, it would be a good idea to print these threads out for use by an appropriate VP or VPs.

TodFitch raises an interesting point. He didn't register for the Morgan Hill meet last year, but he wanted to come. No chance to know where it is from the AACA publications, because he can't find out unless he registers. We need more than the 1/4 page ad provided for each event in the Antique Automobile magazine. We need an article about each event. Where it is, when it is, what events are planned, and other stuff to pique (?) member interest. Having to register to find out the schedule or location just doesn't work. I know we've started putting an insert in one of the early magazines each year to describe tours, but wouldn't it be nifty to publish each meet/tour brochure in the magazine? And wouldn't that save all the hassles of the $5 charge just to find out about the National Tours?<P>RF

Tod Fitch very accurately described my experience on the West Coast. Dan Binger was right on target when he addressed the vast distances in the West as possible deterrents to "Western Integration". About the only deterrent not mentioned thus far is that "Damndable Desert" that seperates us. ( I can damn the desert all I want because I lived in Scottsdale from '58 to '70----I earned it"!) How about we Westerners (few as we are) take a page out of the Floridians book, and do a Winter Meet? We could meet any where along I-8 or I-10 and be assured of reasonably good weather most anytime between October and April. At least 2 or 3 Denver Members have shown cars in the Tucson-Hosted meets that were somewhere near that time frame. Come to think of it, I seem to remember a 46 year old HPOF that was driven down from there. We don't have to burden one Region to host it either; There is no real reason that members of a Region that is hundreds or a thousand miles away to staff the Registration Table,Hospitality Room or Show Car Placement. This is not the traditional method, but it can work!<BR>( I have already volunteered my services to the Denver Region when they were doing a feasibility study for hosting a National ) If we do this, let's not keep who we are and what our Club is all about a secret from the Public. Think About It, Tom<BR> <BR>