Crazy things happen when you drive a Packard

tbirdman

My 32 Packard was in the driveway waiting for a friend to come over as he was going to help me on my 1912 Cad. A lady walks up and ask if my car was a Clenet. She said her friend made them and they were beautiful and my car looked like a Clenet. I tried to tell her my was a 'real" car.

The my firned comes over with his Model T. We could get any work done as everyone kept stopping in to talk.

Then later this evening I join my friend at an informal cruise in. I guy comes up and ask me how much would I sell it for. I said $500K. He then asked if I was there every Friday night and proceeds to look over the car very carefully. He then after looking over the car says "you never know" to me. After he leaves my friend turns to me and ask if I would sell it for $500K. I told him yes, and I would then buy two more like it shocked.gif

One question. Why does everyone feel the need that they have to tell you that they know someone who had a car similiar to yours. crazy.gif

Funny.

Here's another Packard story. A few weeks ago, I took my '35 Packard out for a picnic near some tourist spots in Washington DC. I parked the car on the grass by the side of the road when an open tour bus drove up from behind (this is one of these tourist buses in DC that is open air, so the driver announces things to look at on an open intercom). The tour driver announces to the bus, "and look, everyone, a Packard here on our right!"

I don't know if the tour bus driver just figured that a 30s era car was likely a Packard, or else he was such a car guy that he could identify the brand of the car from behind while driving his tour bus. But either way, it was pretty impressive.

The human brain is wired to make connections.When people see your old car they connect up to the closest old car they remember, even if it's not very close. This is supposed to form a bond. It may be a ridiculous bond but it's the only one they have.

Did I ever tell you my wife's aunt went to school with the guy who sold Elvis his first Cadillac? LOL

People like to dream too. What the hell, maybe he will win the lottery and buy your car.

I know people who buy lottery tickets every week. They still think they are going to win the big prize even though they have been buying tickets for 40 years and it hasn't happened yet. It seems to be the only thing that keeps them alive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People like to dream too. What the hell, maybe he will win the lottery and buy your car.

I know people who buy lottery tickets every week. They still think they are going to win the big prize even though they have been buying tickets for 40 years and it hasn't happened yet. It seems to be the only thing that keeps them alive. </div></div>

Well you never know, he just may have money and is itching to buy the car.

So true. I am helping a friend who is a few years older than me, getting into the hobby for the first time. He is fairly sucessful and wants a 30s sedan for pleasure and occasional use at his wife's B&B. I am of course steering him to a Packard, and after seeing a couple of cars, he gets it. My point being here is someone without a tremendous amount of knowledge, but he is ready to buy something ready to roll. He has a pretty wide price range, from teens to 50-60K so he could certainly be a buyer, even though his knowledge level is pretty basic. Some of his questions may be off-putting to a potential seller who did not know the situation - but he is learning. Likes the 32-34 models, good taste.

I guess to Birdman's point anyone(well, within reason) could be a serious buyer, but some of the stories are amusing. Last summer after arguing with me over the year of our Olds a gent told me he knew these cars as he had just imported a bunch of them to "Chinese Millionaires".. hmm.

Funny thing is for whatever reason, I've been asked by a lot of people this week (besides the Clenet lady) whether my 32 Packard is a Rolls. So I'm driving the 1912 Cadillac around the neighborhood today trying to get use to the car and a lady stops and asked me if the Cad was a Packard cry.gif

Some years back my friend and I went in together on a 1956 400. We had the car delivered to his house and we proceeded to crank it up and get it running. we poured brake fluid in the master cylinder and pumped up the brakes. The tranny would need much more work so we took the car and parked out in front of his tire shop and put a 'for sale' sign on. Over that weekend I get a phone call from a guy who want to know how much I want for that there "PONTIAC". I proceed to tell him I don't have a Pontiac for sale. He said yes I did, it was the white car in front of the tire shop. I said that car was not a pontiac it was a Packard. He then argued with me that 'nope he knows his old cars and that there is a 'Pontiac'. My father once said never argue with an idiot so I asked how much he would offer me for that there "PONTIAC". He said to let think on it and he would get back to me. Never heard from him again.

Well just good back from the Packard Tour of Oregon. My 32 did well through tyhe Cascade Passes though if the Timberline Lodge had been 100 ft higher, I might not had made it to the lodge. As usual my car was misidentified with the first time ever I was asked if it was a Studz. At the Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood a guy exclaimed look at all these Packards but then pointed to my 32 and said there's a Duesenberg! wink.gif

hood.jpg

hood2.jpg

Great pix, tbirdman. And the Clenet was as real as yours, it just lacked the richer history.

The general public never fails to amuse, or annoy those of us with cars at any public showing. Agreed?

I have been informed at various times that my '49 Studebaker Champion has a Chevy, a Ford, and a Continental engine.

My cousins T-bucket rod has been called a "dune buggy" by a sweet old lady.

My nephews restored 1970 Charger R/T has been described as incorrect many times, despite his factory build sheet taped to the window.

We bring joy to those who wish to have it with our cars, the rest we simply endure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Great pictures. </div></div>

And yes that is snow behind the cars. The slopes were jam packed with snowboarders despite it being the end of June.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packard400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One of the most common questions I get when I drive

my 1955 Packard 400 is "Who made Packard?". </div></div>

I've been getting a lot more this year. I can tolerate those questions. The ones I get tired of are:

1. How much is it worth?

2. I know a friend who knows afriend who had an old car something like this cry.gif

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packard400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One of the most common questions I get when I drive

my 1955 Packard 400 is "Who made Packard?".</div></div>

OOOOHHHHH I think I know your car! I saw it at the Schalmont High School show, I think? Gottta be! I dont know of many 50s pack's around here!! That thing is SOOOOOO nice. It stood out like a sore thumb in that show and really stole the show I think, or at least a lot of it! Very beautiful ride. Two thumbs up! You gotta bring that to Latham Greens or Leadfoot Lucys at fuddruckers or something! Park next to ME!!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I drove past a group of guys, one exclaimed, "look, a Excailibur!" mad.gif </div></div>

Stupid has apparently been plumbed to new depths. One of my neighbors saw our Model A in the driveway and insisted that his uncle has a valuable "classic" that has been perfectly restored (not the neighbor with all the Duesenbergs). He claimed his uncle spent "more than $50,000" on a restoration, and that he was going to take it to the Glenmoor Gathering next year (a <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> high-end invitation-only CCCA show).

He proudly showed me a picture: VW-based plastic kit car, in brown and tan no less. sick.gif

Fortunately, this neighbor's house is for sale...

Guest 1926pack

Funny, but what some refer to as "home boys" or hip hop really know their cars. I was driving through Queens New York on 25A one Saturday to visit family on LI and I was stopped at a light. Bunches of them come tumbling out of stores and stuff whooping and hollering "Look, an old Packard!" I'm thinking, did I hear that right? These guys are all into hopped up Hondas and such. But no, they knew. So I pulled over and we got into a great yack-fest. They all knew it had a flat head in it, most of them even knew what a flat head is, but none of them had ever seen one running. They were amazed at how smooth it idled. And they got a kick out of the updraft carb. And double clutching a non-synchro transmission. By the time I left I had quite a crowd. And they all were great!

So maybe there's hope out there.