Anybody know of a source for the dual A/C vacuum actuators?

jimtash

Does anybody have a souce for the dual vacuum actuators that fit the '63's? I can find the single actuators from several different vendors but the duals are no where to be found. If they are no longer available new from anywhere, can the older one's be rebuilt? Thanks.

The dual diaphragm under the blower on the '63 is actually 2 diaphragm cans stacked on top of each other. It is not available new from any aftermarket supplier that I know of. Getting a good used one or looking for NOS is your only option.

You can make the 2-port diaphragm that Old Air Products sells work in this application, if you are willing to depart from original. (Because it is out of sight, under the blower, it is not very obvious that you are no longer original.)

The main problem you find with the OAP 2-port diaphragm is that you can no longer get the "part open" position of the actuator. You need to plug the vacuum hose that would normally put the diaphragm in the part open position, and T- the other vacuum hose (the full open hose) into both ports of the 2-port diaphragm.

I did this on my '63.

Then you get full open or full recirculation, never partial recirculation.

The reason you need to do this is because of the way the Old Air Product diaphragms are all inside the same can. The original stacked cans were separate and you could apply vacuum to one port or the other (or both) and not have anything leak between them. The OAP 2-port diaphragm requires vacuum on just the outer port for partial movement and vacuum on both ports for full movement. That is not what our '63 heating-A/C controllers gives us down at that position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimtash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, you are a lifesaver. Thanks a whole bunch man. </div></div>

No problem.

The next time I am in Asheville you can show me your car, and buy me a beer!

cool.gif

PS - don't throw that old double actuator away. I have not figured out yet how to open the can, replace the diaphragm, then reassemble, but I'm working on it. I will need some old dead units to experiment on.

• Like 1

Just hold on to it until I figure out a way to open them without destroying them. Then I will be ready for a second "victim". wink.gif

I was able to open my other vacuum motor on the firewall and rebuild it. The dual can has been a tougher nut to crack.

I have several vacuum actuators that are in good shape except for one thing; the nipples are all broken off. Otherwise they function nice and tight. What would you suggest as a remedy? It would be a shame not to use them and have to spend money on top of it to replace perfectly good working parts for such a minor problem.

The top canister can easily be replaced with a new one. The bottom one though is a different story so let me know what you come up with. Your solution works just fine but it would be nice to have the system working just like the Buick engineers designed it to. I guess I'm just picky that way.

• 14 years later...

ok  need a little help on my 64 Riv  in testing I found the dual port vacuum actuator on  the vent  does not work (tried direct vacuum to both ports did not move). Also checked after replacing all the vacuum lines that I do not get any vacuum from the valves. Is there a rebuild kit for the valves if so has any one done it ? If so how and where could I pick up a rebuild kit.  Thanks for any help. 

Erick

On 5/7/2008 at 7:12 PM, Jim Cannon said:

The dual diaphragm under the blower on the '63 is actually 2 diaphragm cans stacked on top of each other. It is not available new from any aftermarket supplier that I know of. Getting a good used one or looking for NOS is your only option.

You can make the 2-port diaphragm that Old Air Products sells work in this application, if you are willing to depart from original. (Because it is out of sight, under the blower, it is not very obvious that you are no longer original.)

The main problem you find with the OAP 2-port diaphragm is that you can no longer get the "part open" position of the actuator. You need to plug the vacuum hose that would normally put the diaphragm in the part open position, and T- the other vacuum hose (the full open hose) into both ports of the 2-port diaphragm.

I did this on my '63.

Then you get full open or full recirculation, never partial recirculation.

The reason you need to do this is because of the way the Old Air Product diaphragms are all inside the same can. The original stacked cans were separate and you could apply vacuum to one port or the other (or both) and not have anything leak between them. The OAP 2-port diaphragm requires vacuum on just the outer port for partial movement and vacuum on both ports for full movement. That is not what our '63 heating-A/C controllers gives us down at that position.

9 hours ago, Erick R said:

ok  need a little help on my 64 Riv  in testing I found the dual port vacuum actuator on  the vent  does not work (tried direct vacuum to both ports did not move). Also checked after replacing all the vacuum lines that I do not get any vacuum from the valves. Is there a rebuild kit for the valves if so has any one done it ? If so how and where could I pick up a rebuild kit.  Thanks for any help. 

Erick

Read Jim Cannon's response from earlier in the thread which I have attached. He does a good job of explaining the problem and how to fix it. I did this on my 63 several years ago with Jim's guidance and all is good. Take your time and fix everything that needs fixing. This is a job that you do not want to do twice.

Bill

vacuum actuator 002.jpg

Heater Box and Blower Motor 002.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:38 AM, 63 nut said:

Can anyone post pictures of these actuators with the nipples and without. Maybe we can come up with ideas for repair.

While you are working on other work arounds it was made clear to me to “doors” inside the heater box and plenum should close so you have no leaks. I took the vent system apart ( under the hood) and aligned and put replacement gaskets on the doors. I found this repair helps. Vacuum hoses in the system are color coded as when the hoses came from the factory. Knowing where the hoses go is important, real important, at least for me it was important if you want cold air.

Your question was answered by Riv_63 regarding the work around for replacing vacuum

svtuators 3&4. I found having the Service Manual helped.

Oh, a work around I tried but failed was cutting open vacuum actuators 3&4 and making repair. A gent on the forum said fixing actuators 3&4 were easy to repair and he achieved success in the repair effort. Good luck on your mobile AC adventure. As a “

No Nothing DIY’er” getting the original equipment to work with work arounds arounds is possible. The AC in my 63 is working to produce cold air.

Turbinator