Whats up with cars on Ebay?

michel88

I am wondering why there are so few cars listed on Ebay. I look mainly at Buicks for antique cars. There used to be 5-7 pages full of Buicks of all years. Now there is only about 4 or 5 Buicks listed. I checked Cadillac and saw only a few. What has happened to cause this sudden drop off?

I just bought a 1941 Cadillac and companion parts car on e bay last week. First time I ever bought a car that way. It was two hours from my house so I took a day off work, drove down there, paid cash, and the seller ended the auction early for me. Best of all he's going to deliver both cars to me next week.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I just looked at Buicks on eBay and there are

225 Buicks (5 pages) listed under Collector Cars and

288 Cadillacs (6 pages).

I'm not sure but part of it is time of year. There seems to be more action in spring and summer and ebay periodically offers "sales" of no insertion fees, etc. I noticed that auctions bump up during these savings periods, as I normally look at parts Cars too.

Problem is ebay has no real section for Project Cars. They should.

For the last 7-8 years I have been looking at Buicks by searching for "1940 Buick". After I look at that, I change the search to "Buick". Now that does not work. You have to go to "Ebay Motors", then under "Themes" go to "Collector Cars", then go to "Buick". Then you get the normal 5-7 pages of cars.

That sounds like eBay fine tuneing things again, sad thing is they aren't car guys. You should get EVERYTHING listed for 1915 Ford when you search, not seperate searches for hub caps, transmissions, etc. A search on eBay and eBay MOTORS are TWO different searches, you won't get all the same items, try both and see how the total changes.

I don't usually list on eBay for 2 reasons, first is the VERY high fees and 2nd are the games people play.

I had a car "sell" 4 times w/o any closure. Twice it wnt something like "My 3 year old accidentally bid on your car" Can you believe that BS?? The other 2 guys just plain refused to follow through. I paid the listing fees twice (you used to get 1 re-list) w/o selling the car or any help from eBay what so ever.

Why should you use eBay and pay the high fees if they will not do much if anything to assist you?

Guest windjamer

When I was restoring my skylark I could go on e/bay parts an assc. and find 3 maby 4 pages. Now every time I punch it up it says I have been selectwd to [preview the new e-bay. I told them I didnt want to preview the new syst. Made no differance they kept me on the system so I quit useing it.Maby some day they will learn if it aint broke,dont fix it.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

Its funny you mention searching a 1940 Buick. I listed my 1940 Buick Limited last month. All I got was deadbeat bidders, retractions, and offers that were insane. All in all, it cost me about $110 to not get one serious offer. I am not saying this about all Ebayers but my personal experience is that its a lowballers paradise for the most part and since there is no consequence for messing around people just screw with you. There is also the mentality that it has to be underpriced. If you put a car up thats within striking distance of its value dont bother. I mean I got pushback from a bidder when I wouldnt entertain $20k for the Limited. Keep in mind my car is in very good shape, drives, and is mostly original.

Guest rickomo1

to add to that the SCAMS that you get emailed to you after you list and sell. its a nice place to browse but not to buy and sell anymore. Craigs list is better but you still have to be careful.

There seems to be a lot of negative feeling about Ebay here but I find it hard to believe there isn't quite a bit of positive we are not hearing. I've been an Ebay addict for many years with Automobilia and have had very few bad experiences. I found my Pierce on Ebay although I did not buy through them as I would never buy sight unseen. The scammers have always been around but the unprecedented growth and size of the ebay marketplace has ramped up their activities proportionately. Has anyone had a good buying or selling experience on Ebay and if so what did you do to counter some of the problems?

The closest thing to a car that I sold on ebay was my Coleman camper. First time around didn't sell, but second time it set off a bidding war, and a really nice couple from Northern Virginia came down before the bidding ended to see the camper & they wound up buying it for what I wanted out of it. Had no scammers or anyone not playing fair, but had seen alot of the scammers who tried to give 'second chance bid' scams when I was trying to buy a newer & larger camper. Always check your ebay mail on their site - if it doesn't show up there, its a scam. I also contacted the original seller just to be on the safe side.

While I have not sold anything in the last 6 months or so, I have bought and sold lots of stuff on Ebay. I have bought and sold cars, bought and sold car parts, and bought and sold other items as well. As long as you utilitze all of the offered safety cautions, and use common sense, it works fine. I have sold car parts in in many different countries. I have shipped parts to countries that I hardly knew existed until I had sold parts to people who were restoring cars there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexRiv_63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There seems to be a lot of negative feeling about Ebay here but I find it hard to believe there isn't quite a bit of positive we are not hearing. <SNIP> Has anyone had a good buying or selling experience on Ebay and if so what did you do to counter some of the problems? </div></div>

To counter the scammers, I don't sell on eBay any longer. I was tossed off eBay several years ago because a buyer could not figure out that a performance chip I sold him would not fit his 1970 Bronco! I had all info from the MFG and links to the site. BIG text saying NO REFUNDS, yet eBay sided with him saying my auction did not have enough info and was not clear enough even though I had all the info the manufacturer had!

I was tossed because I refused to refund like I said stated in my auction (it was powerseller VS 150 feedback seller). I now share an account with my nephew.

I have bought many nice things on eBay, they are not all bad but they definitely favor Powersellers over other customers which is bad business.

eBay, Harley, and a few other companies fit into the "Love the product, HATE the company" category.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just looked at Buicks on eBay and there are

225 Buicks (5 pages) listed under Collector Cars and

288 Cadillacs (6 pages). </div></div>

Leonard - we should get J.P. to answer this question, he practically makes a living buying and selling Studebakers on eBay. If anyone knows the "ins and outs" of eBay Motors, he would.

Guest rickomo1

I have sold two cars on ebay in the last 5 years the model a went to austrailia and a 1950 studebaker commander went to london,england. talking the owners into inspections and straight bank to bank transactions everything was smooth. but learning the rules for expoting to help can be a nightmare. i love ebay but dont buy as much anymore as prices seem to go higher than i want to pay. patience is a must and reading the feedback for the sellers just be carefull.

A couple of years ago I listed a 1963 Chrysler Newport Convertible. At end of auction it went to a guy in Fort Lauderdale. He had no way to come and get it, so he asked if I had any way to deliver it. I said yes and he said how much. We struck a delivery deal where he paid my delivery fee up front and I delivered the car. there was no re-negotiations when I got there since my travel was paid for and all I had to do was say bye-bye. All in all a very pleasant deal. Of course before that I had a slightly modified 1954 Plymouth cranbrook all painted, upholstered, running and driving car. Asking $7,500, Highest bid I got was $41.75, thank God for reserves.