Pre-War Division 2008 AfterTour

Mark Shaw

Buick Club of America

Pre-War Division

2008 National Meet - AfterTour

July 20th – 23rd, 2008

The BCA Pre-War Division will again host an ‘AfterTour’ in conjunction with the

BCA 2008 National Meet in Flint, Michigan. Mark your calendar now and plan to join other Buick enthusiasts for four fun filled days of touring in beautiful Mid Michigan.

Tour highlights include:

Frankenmuth, Michigan – A taste of Bavaria right here in the Mitten State. Wunderbar!

Bronner’s – The World’s largest Christmas store. If they don’t have it, they don’t make it!

Walter P. Chrysler Museum – Former President of Buick, I hear he found other work after he left Flint

Cranbrook House & Meadowbrook Hall – Spectacular mansions and grounds of the Scripps/Booth Family and Matilda Dodge Wilson

R. E. Olds Transportation Museum – Everything from Curve Dashes to your Father’s Rocket

Jiffy Mix Plant Tour – Not concrete (unless you mix in wrong) the muffin mix silly!

Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum / Michigan Firehouse Museum / Miller Motors – The country’s only operating Hudson dealership since 1927

Ice Cream in Hell, (Michigan) – Remember, your wife told you to go there, now you can drop her off!

Outlet Malls and Antiquing stops too, plus a few surprises!

Host Hotel for the 2008 Pre-War After Tour:

Holiday Inn Express

17800 Silver Parkway

Fenton, Michigan 48430

You should reserve your room through the Flint Visitor and Convention Bureau 888-230-2585 for the discounted rate of $81, (reg. $89.99) Hotel is 18 miles south of the BCA National Meet if you wish to stay here for both events and commute to Flint.

This AfterTour will be pay-as-you-go Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed. Please contact me for your After Tour Registration form and register no later than July 1st 2008.

Brian Heil & Cristine Heil

1923 Model 45 BCA #26034 Buicktown Chapter Members PWD Regional Director

11301 Fawn Valley Trail

Fenton, Michigan 48430

BTHLodger@aol.com

810-869-1543

Just a note of thanks to Mark Shaw for helping me get the Tour notice posted and the 2008 After Tour 'off the ground'.

I would also like to encourage any and all PWD Members and Future/Potential PWD Members to join us for the After Tour, especially those who may be a little timid about Touring. We will have numerous 'seasoned' Members present to assist you should you have a vehicle issue. I am always amazed how quickly BCA'rs come to the rescue, or stay up late with a hotel parking lot repair or volunteer to drive that needed part across the state. If you think about it, an organized Tour with lots of BCA friends is the best possible situation should you have a problem and require assistance.

I would also encourage any PWD Members who may be in need of a 'Tour seat' due to their car not being ready or on the other side of the Country or Pond to please contact me. A good navigator is hard to come by! Honestly, my Buick rides better with the back seat full.

And by all means, bring the kids and grandkids to share in the fun!

Looking forward to meeting many of you this July!

Had a great question asked about daily mileage for the After Tour.

We will run 80 to 100 miles each day with the one day we run to Lansing, Michigan to see the R. E. Olds Museum we will run ~120 miles. No big grades to worry about either.

(I once went on a Blue Ridge Mnt. Tour that was either 2nd and 1st gear long grade pulls, or 2nd and 1st gear downgrade Hail Marys for 5 days straight. The Buick did fine but near the end of the week I had an elderly couple in a Packard join us in the back seat. They were the nicest people from (flat) Indiana and he coined the term 'The White Knuckle Tour'.)

We may encounter a mountain or two of food or ice cream!

Folks, a ride in Brian's car is well worth, if you never road in 80 some year old Buick, it's great! We went all around in it at the BCA Nationals in Buffalo in 2001, and what time, he actually drove it there, too! We won't talk about how it got back to Michigan, though, I heard that was quite ride too!

I think we just heard from the first PWD rider! Heck, there's lots of time between now and July to pick up a nice PWD ride to add to your fleet Roberta! I know of a nice fellow from the West Coast who bought sight un-seen a 1925 on the way to the Minnesota National Meet and drove it on the PWD After tour.

• 2 weeks later...

2008 After Tour vehicle count is already at 4!

The contract for the hotel rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Fenton, MI has been signed @ the $81 Group Rate.

Still waiting to hear back from the BCA Office about 'Event Insurance' verbage to put in the Registration Form.

Anyone on the Board reading this, it would be nice to hear back from someone on the insurance question.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We love to tour in our 1934 Ford on the Glidden Tours

and the newer car tours with our 66 VW.

We also have a 1935 Buick and wonder if it's welcome on your tours? It's all Buick, but not all 1935.

post-32318-143137957943_thumb.jpg

Paul,

I hope you do make plans to join us and you are certainly more than welcome to do so! Please send me an email to my address below so I have it and can send you the registration material after the first of the year.

(In addition to my Buick, I own a stock 1965 Corvette Roadster I bought from the original owner (a fellow GM Engineer) and have owned it for 27 years, I also still have my first car, a 1957 Bel Air 2 dr sedan that was first modified in 1967 and I have owned since 1977. I grew up about 4 blocks from the famed Woodward Avenue in the Detroit suburbs. As I like to say, "It's all good!")

I had a great conversation with Mike Book at the BCA National Office today regarding the 2008 PWD After Tour and the insurance questions I had. Who ever it is that keeps track of 'nice people associated with the BCA', please mark down Mike on the list! What a super guy.

We are Good-to-Go as they say. Now I have to draft a simple electronic Registration Form and get it out to those who have expressed and interest (and have it ready for all the rest of you when you realize you need to be on the After Tour!).

May I be the first to wish everyone a Warm and Merry Christmas from here in chilly mid Michigan!

Thanks John!

I will never forget the first real (suitcase) trip I took in our Buick, it was to the National Meet in Columbus, OH (what year was that?). All by ourselves, no trouble truck, no caravan. I think I packed 100# of tools for that first trip! It was on the plus side of 100F and my co-pilot / navigator was my (now 85 year old) WWII Pilot Father. Our morning departure was delayed by 5 hours due to my wife having business trip air travel delays from the night before and I had to go pick her up. With Mama back home safe, we pointed the Buick South at 1:00 pm and set the cruise at 40 MPH. So much for our 'take it easy, no rush itinerary'. I'll never forget what my Father said when we made our first stop, about 100 miles into the trip in a two horse town in Ohio where the bank sign said 104F. "Remind me again why we stopped?" It really was 104 and not a breeze to be had but with the windshield open and a 40+ breeze the ride was not all that bad in the Buick. We decided at that point to top everything off including the cooler and our stomachs and drive the next 150 miles staight through to Columbus. We travelled the 250 miles total in 8 hours with a 1 hour break in that small town. At the hotel in Columbus I checked us in as my Father waded in the pool with his pants on!

• 4 weeks later...

Are we suppose to fill out a form for this? If so could you post it here. I already have the hotel resevation but see that they have me for $89.99 per night instead of the $81 group rate??? Dave!

Dave,

I'm not sure why (or very happy) that you were not quoted the correct rate. I will be on the phone today with our friends at the Convention and Visitors Bureau. Stay tuned.

I have the signed contract from Holiday Inn Express that states $81/night so have no fear but I appreciate hearing about the issue and will resolve it.

Dave,

As I mentioned in my P/M to you, the Director of the Convention and Visitors Bureau called me late yesterday with an apology for the hotel rate quoting error. She confirmed the correct rate is $81. Please let me know if they get back with you with the correction as I think they should.

Thank you for the constructive feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

Pre War Division Tourist, the following will be going out by email and snail mail to those who have expressed an interest in the 2008 PWD After Tour but I wanted to paste a copy here as well just in case I miss someone. The nifty letterhead won't copy and the registration form 'pastes' a little funny but you'll have most everything you will need. There is an updated After Tour Summary with our plans also included. My apologies in advance for the length of this post.

B.T.H.

2008 BCA Pre-War Division After Tour

July 20 – 23, 2008

Fenton, Michigan

Dear Pre-War Division Tourist: February 2008

Thank you for your interest in the 2008 Pre-War Division After Tour! My wife, Cris and I, look forward to meeting each of you in Flint/Fenton this Summer. Plans for the 2008 BCA Meet and PWD After Tour continue to solidify and at this time I can share the following information with you. As we get closer to the Meet and After Tour, I will share more information.

After Tour Registration Form. Returning this form to me either by hard copy in the mail or via email will reserve your place on the PWD After Tour. Please note I will only share your name(s) and vehicle information with the other Tourist. The emergency contact information will remain with me alone. Once I receive your Registration Form, I will send you and acknowledgement. Cut off date for registration is June 1st, 2008. See attached.

After Tour Summary. I have included the current After Tour Summary. Please note that those venues with an entrance fee have been so noted to help with your planning. Also included is the estimated mileage for the day. In the spirit of the Pre-War Division, each of these events is a la carte. If you don’t wish to attend a venue, you are more than welcome to do just that, I only ask that you let me know when registering so I have an accurate count. I have toured with small children as well as with my 85 year old father and I know that sometimes it’s better to ‘picnic in the shade and nap’ than it is to try and do everything. For those with access and mobility issues, all the sites we plan to visit are barrier free. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Hotel Reservations. This can be a little confusing so stick with me here for a minute. Our PWD After Tour will be headquartered at the Holiday Inn Express in Fenton, Michigan. This hotel is 18 miles south of Flint. Some Tourist may wish to stay closer to Flint during the actual BCA Meet dates and then move to the hotel in Fenton for Sunday evening accommodations. Others may wish to stay in Fenton for both the BCA Meet dates and the After Tour dates and commute the 18 miles to Flint for the BCA Meet dates. The decision is yours. All I ask is that you note your plans on the Registration Form and be ready to go each morning of the After Tour at the Holiday Inn Express in Fenton. Please note that hotel reservations are to be made through the Flint Visitors and Convention Bureau. 888-230-2585 Going through the Bureau will ensure you receive the special PWD Group Rate of $81 in Fenton. The Bureau can also give you hotel availability & rate information for other hotels during the BCA Meet closer to Flint if you so desire. We will also have Tourists from the Flint and S.E. Michigan area who will join us from home each day and yet others who will be staying with BCA friends. RVers please call me for campground information.

Now, if you do plan to stay at two different hotels (one nearer to Flint for the Meet and then in Fenton for the After Tour), we will be touring through Flint on Sunday morning such that you would check out of your Flint hotel, put your luggage in your car or tow vehicle/trailer and we would meet up with you in Flint. Sunday early evening we will again pass through Flint such that you would pick up your tow vehicle/trailer/luggage and move to Fenton at that time.

Sunday and the GM 100 Parade. This event is gaining momentum and I plan to include it in our Sunday After Tour activities, several weeks ago this Parade event didn’t even exist. The goal is to have a GM vehicle from every year of manufacture plus many of the one-of-a-kind GM owned prototype vehicles. You are welcome to apply for inclusion in the Parade (they expect multiple requests for every year so there are no guarantees of a Parade spot). If you don’t get a spot or don’t wish to be in the Parade, we will watch the Parade. Since very little else is known about the Parade the plan shown for Sunday in the After Tour Summary is tentative at this time. For more Parade information and to register for the Parade lottery see the attached form. Note the GM 100 Parade people are not directly associated with the 2008 BCA Flint Meet or PWD After Tour but our local Buicktown Chapter President is on the Parade committee. Note the photo in the letterhead is part of the Parade route (I’m just kidding, or am I?)

Pre-War Division Meeting @ Flint during the BCA Meet. Right now the schedule shows a 10:00 pm meeting on Friday 7/18. I will make plans for a PWD After Tour Meeting at a more reasonable time and place and will communicate that to you.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on Tour this Summer!

Brian Heil

BCA# 26034

2008 PWD After Tour Chairman

11301 Fawn Valley Trail

Fenton, Michigan 48430

(810) 869-1543 cell

BTHLodger@aol.com

July 20 – 23, 2008

Fenton, Michigan

After Tour Registration Form

Name:

BCA #:

Passenger(s) Name(s):

Home Address Street:

City: State: Zip:

Phone:

Email:

(if you do not enter an email address then it will be assumed you do not have one and you will receive your information by normal postal mail)

Vehicle Year and Model:

Cell Phone Number that will be in your Tour Vehicle (if you have one):

Emergency Contact Information (someone not on the After Tour)

Name:

Relationship:

Phone:

Accommodation Plans During the BCA Meet (home, friends, Holiday Inn Express Fenton, RV, other hotel?):

Accommodation Plans During the After Tour (home, friends, Holiday Inn Express Fenton, RV, other hotel?):

July 20 – 23, 2008

Fenton, Michigan

After Tour Summary

Sunday, July 20th

Lunch Sunday is still TBD due to the Parade that starts at 1:00 pm.

GM 100 Parade – Note you must apply separately through the Parade Committee with the attached form for a chance at a spot in the Parade lottery. No charge.

Frankenmuth, Michigan – A taste of Bavaria right here in the Mitten State. Wunderbar!

Assuming the Parade does not take all of our Sunday, we will travel 28 miles north of Flint to Frankenmuth, Michigan and visit this beautiful community, with shopping stops in town as well as Bronner’s as noted below. No charge.

If time permits (again, the Parade details are still unknown) we will dine at the world famous Zehnders Restaurant (since 1856) for dinner. Dinners range from $15 - $21

Bronner’s – The World’s largest Christmas store. If they don’t have it, they don’t make it! No charge.

Total mileage for Sunday assuming we start in Flint and end up in Fenton: ~75 miles, most, of which we will follow the winding Flint and Cass River countryside. I have a feeling we will do the Parade, Bronner’s, and Zehnders and be rolling into Fenton about 8:00 pm so I will make sure all your reservations are held for late arrival.

Monday, July 21st

Cranbrook House & Meadowbrook Hall – Spectacular mansions and grounds of the Scripps/Booth Family and Matilda Dodge Wilson. Cranbrook House Tour is $10 adult, $8 seniors/students. Meadowbrook Hall Tour is $9 adult, $5 children. While these are the two ‘pricey’ stops on the whole Tour, they really should not be missed!

Lunch at Mr. B’s in Rochester, Michigan. Rated as one of the top 10 spots for Pizza in Michigan. ~$10

Walter P. Chrysler Museum – Former President of Buick, I hear he found other work after he left Flint

$6 adult, $3 seniors/children, 5 & under free

Total mileage for Monday: ~100 miles, we will wind our way through the ‘lake country’ northeast of Detroit as well as some of the most affluent country estates / neighborhoods.

Tuesday, July 22nd

Jiffy Mix Plant Tour – Not concrete (unless you mix in wrong) the muffin mix silly! No charge. Actually, you get some goodies to take with you and eat there!

Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum / Miller Motors / Michigan Firehouse Museum – The country’s only operating Hudson dealership since 1927. Y.A.H.M. + Miller Motors both for $3 adult, 12 & under free. Michigan Firehouse Museum $3 adult, $2 seniors, $1.50 children

Lunch at the famous Sidetrack Bar and Grille in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Rated as one of the top 20 ‘Bar Burgers’ in America. ~$10 plus numerous local ‘barley pops’ (or is that hops?) from several of the local micro brewerys.

Ice Cream in Hell, (Michigan) – Remember, your wife told you to go there, now you can drop her off! No charge if you leave her and the bill there.

Total mileage for the Tuesday: ~100 miles of rolling countryside with 100 year old tree lined winding lanes, why Hell never looked so good!

Wednesday, July 23rd

R. E. Olds Transportation Museum – Everything from Curve Dashes to your Father’s Rocket. $3/person group rate

Lunch at the world famous Cadillac Grille in Lansing, Michigan. Blue Suede shoes suggested but not required. Elvis sightings are common so flip your collar up, unbutton your top three, trim your sideburns a little lower today, put on your shades and bring your camera. While there may be a Hunk-a Hunk-a burning something, the food is Love Me Tender ~$10. The Tour Chairman cannot be held responsible for wives who get All Shook Up! Thank you, thank you very much.

Buicktown Chapter Monthly Picnic – The After Tour has been invited to join the local/host Buicktown Chapter of the BCA for their monthly Chapter Picnic Dinner. Our hosts will be Dennis and Lola Manner. Dennis is the retired Assistant Chief Engineer of GM Powertrain and Buick Product Engineering (and my former boss). No charge, but you are welcome to bring a dish to pass from a local deli. The Chapter provides the main course on the BBQ grille. Cris and I will fix you up with plates and silverware if you forget your pic-a-nic-a-basket. Lawn chairs or a blanket are a good idea. BYO beverage.

Total mileage for Wednesday: ~120 miles. A mix of 100 year old tree line lanes, some flat farm country where we can “open ‘em up” and Lansing, Michigan’s State Capital and some urban driving to get to the heart of town.

We will have morning coffee stops and afternoon ice cream each and every day! Dinners Monday and Tuesday will be on your own in Fenton with a suggested local restaurant.

Remember, you will need accommodations Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

Link to GM 100 Parade Form:

http://www.flintgm100.com/flint_gm_100.pdf

I just did a quick count and we have 12 vehicles and 18 couples/families/riders expressing interest in the PWD After Tour at this point and I expect more with the Registration Form just now going out.

'Houston, we have a go for launch'.

Sunny and 3F here in mid Michigan. A Summer Tour sure sounds good!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK PWD After Tour Procrastinators, time to send that After Tour registration form in! I know you are out there. Heck you already missed the postal rate increase!

Also, we are planning a PWD Dinner Friday Night. The Dinner is just not for Tourist but any and all PWD Members, Friends, Guests, Interested Parties. RSVP info coming, but keep Friday night dinner plans open to join us in Flint. We plan to schedule the dinner so as not to conflict with all the other events Friday night.

Lost your registration info.? Just look two posts previous.

• 3 weeks later...

I just sent the following out to all the PWD After Tour Tourist and I will post a copy of the same here for everyone.

July 20 – 23, 2008

Fenton, Michigan

After Tour Update – July 1st

Dear PWD After Tour Tourists:

In a few short weeks we will all be in Flint! Please read the following to help you with your planning.

Friday Night PWD Dinner. As a registered PWD After Tourist, I have already signed you up for the PWD Dinner on Friday night, 5 – 7 pm at the Historic Flint Masonic Temple. There will be great food and a chance to meet all the PWD Members for our brief annual meeting and discuss next year’s PWD After Tour. If you have other plans, please let me know. $15/person at the door for an all inclusive dinner including beverage, dessert, tax & tip. Please plan to join us! The 5-7 time slot will work prefect so you will not miss any of the Meet activities. There are few good restaurants open on the weekend in downtown Flint, so other groups will be spending time commuting to restaurants while we will have more time to meet. The Temple is 10 minutes from the Show Field.

Sunday Morning. You should plan to check out of your local Flint hotel on Sunday morning and ‘move’ to Fenton if you have a tow rig and trailer or pack your tour car with your luggage if you are without trailer and make your way to Flint. Tow rigs can be parked at the K-mart lot across the street from the Fenton Holiday Inn Express for the day, without a problem. With the GM 100 Parade Sunday @ 1:00 pm we will be tight for time in the evening upon our return from Frankenmuth so ‘moving’ in the morning is the safe bet. Sunday will be a leisurely morning with plenty of time to make the move, have lunch in Fenton and then head to Flint. Also, I do not plan to come back through Flint on our return from Frankenmuth Sunday evening as previously planned due to time. We can discuss car pooling to Fenton on Sunday morning at the Friday night dinner to save some from having to drive/tow their tour car to Fenton Sunday morning. I have a Suburban that can hold 7. The Fenton Holiday Inn Express has informed me they will hold all the rooms for ‘late’ arrival.

Sunday Afternoon and the Parade. Many of us are in the GM 100 Parade and the remaining will watch the Parade. Note the Parade will start right in front of the Masonic Temple where you will have had dinner Friday evening. Please plan to arrive and view the Parade vehicles up close at ~11:30 as we will have limited time to view the Parade vehicles after the Parade. Many of the Parade vehicles will not have been at the Meet the previous three days and many are non Buick, GM vehicles of significant interest. I would like to have everyone depart the Parade area at 3:00 and congregate at the Buick Gallery (East end of the Show Field area) on Walnut St. for a 3:30 pm sharp departure. Do not forget to have a full tank of fuel for the Parade and afternoon of touring. If you have a CB radio, several others will be bringing theirs but by no means are they necessary. Cell phones and cameras are what I always forget!

Other thoughts. Do not forget we will be the guests of the Buicktown Chapter for their monthly Picnic, Wednesday evening (the Chapter covers the main course on the BBQ). If you can, bring your picnic basket with plates, cups and silverware, etc., cooler, blanket and lawn chairs if you have room. For those with limited room or flying in, Cris and I will fix you up. We will also discuss what dish-to-pass we will each pick up at the deli in the supermarket across the street from the Fenton Holiday Inn Express. You will also need to bring your beverage of choice for the evening. If you enjoy an adult beverage, you will not be alone as many members bring and enjoy the same.

As of this date, there are 600 vehicles registered for the BCA Meet and 15 vehicles registered for the PWD After Tour and I expect both numbers to grow.

Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or email us. See you in Flint!

Brian & Cris Heil

810-869-1543 cell

BTHLodger@aol.com

• 1 month later...