Have you seen this one? Northstar into Reatta!!

Nittany

First time I looked at that thread.. well what I see so far looks very impressive. Can you tell me a little more about the bellhousing and how it bolts up? I did a M-27 (Getrag 284) 5spd conversion to my SC N* GTP, and it was kind-of a major PIA, so I feel your pain. Check it out:

http://www.northstarguru.com/1983351.html

But I gotta say, that F40 looks awfully impressive. I bet it shifts better too. hrm..

Guest F14CRAZY

Stock versus stock, I'd take an L67, but I don't know about an M90-L67 versus a Procharged N*. That's one nasty motor you got there.

I'd imagine mating the Getrag to the N* is a pain, as mating a 4T80 to an L67 would be

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northstar0521</div><div class="ubbcode-body">275ft/lbs of torque, 300 hp. '03 GTP brakes and suspension. '03 Nstar, 4T60.

Anyone with a SC V6 wanna race for pinks? </div></div>

Sure, What do I win????

What vehicles are you referring to? The only one I can think of that came with both is a Bonneville. I guess it depends if it's a vin Y or 9 too.. The Bonne GXP's only had the vin Y (275hp & 3.11 gears vs 300 hp & 3.71's like out of a ETC or STS)

Those L67 have the torque though I'll give you that. You'll have a quick car when you're done, I don't doubt it for a second. Especially with the 6 speed. But even if you got the launch I just might catch ya. wink.gif Either way though, it'd be fun trying.

Actually, I re-read you old thread and if you do all those mods with the porting, cam, rockers, small pulley, etc, you should be able to waste just about anything out there, including the N* Reatta. 350hp, 6 speed. It'll be a force to be reckoned with, that's fo sho. Hang in there.. It'll be very worth it!

On a different note, does anyone know where I can get some nice new Reatta floor mats in blue? I like the factory ones. Can you still get them anywhere?

I like the look of the nose of your N* Reatta, was the airdam a 100% fabrication, or did y'all modify something stock/off the shelf?

What did you use for the side skirts? Do you do a treatment to the rear as well?

Cool stripe layout. Don't personally care for the wheel-style.

So, it's for sale? $9000? Where?

No no, it's not for sale.. yet. When you say $9000, you may be refering to what I said a Northstar conversion would go for if I were to be for hire. We actually decided not to go that route tho. We pretty much just build something, and then look for a happy home for it. I may or may not even do another Reatta. I guess it depends how I do on this one.. the asking price is anticipated to come in somewhere in the $36-40k range so we'll see. ~Dave

I think th possibilities with the Reatta are great. The 4.4 VVT motor is a tricky one to manage.. no system I know of will control the cam actuators, except stock of course, but it's near impossible to crack from what I hear.

If I built another Reatta, I'd probably use a Grand Prix GXP setup. Tap shift, 5.3 LS-4 V8. That'd be the money.

Yes. I used two harnesses and two ECM's. The stock Reatta harness was not cut except to extend the wires for the coolant and oil sensors. I ran two coolant sensors, and two oil sensors; one for each ECM. The tach doesn't work on the CRT unfortunately tho. I COULD run the white wire from the caddie ignition module to the CRT, but it wouldn't be acurate due to 2 more cylinders. No cruise either (still working on that).

The car has no idea there is a running V8 under the hood The Reatta 'thinks' the engine is off, but the key is on. No warnings, no codes. The low oil pressure light even goes out! wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tach doesn't work on the CRT unfortunately tho. </div></div>

How does your speedo read, presume if you've got an odd Tranny drive ratio the Speedo's apt to be off too.

I'm using a Dakota Digital converter with my 5-Spd. S/C. When the Getrag was installed the Speedo registered roughly double. I wonder whether a signal multiplier might work for the Tach signal issue?

• 1 year later...
Guest Stormin

I thought I would fire everyone up again.. cool.gif. The link to this site doesn't appear to work anymore. Anyone have any updates on them? Also...there appears to be some discussion of the Allante/Northstar cradle bolting into our Reattas. I'm aware of the electronic control issues, but if this setup is a bolt in where are the other issues? I know we have a lot of purists on here and several turbo/supercharged cars as well but I really prefer the sound of a decent V8.Thanks for everyones help in keeping my Reatta alive, Norm.

A 4.9 wouldn't be a bad choice really. A bit large to go in the Reatta engine bay, but it is doable. Best part for us 91 owners is that it uses the 4T60E trans, have this very setup in my 95 Deville. Makes programming the PCM a bit easier I'd think.

Now, while the 4.9 isn't a high performance engine in the drag strip sense, if you want serious low end grunt and torque that nearly rivals a diesel truck, the 4.9 is a great engine. Top speed is around 125, although limited by PCM in my Deville to 115. This setup gives great passing power on the highway [in a two ton car no less], and still manages average fuel economy that is close to a stock 3800 Reatta. Note that in the Caddy setup, it is rated 200HP, so a pretty decent boost over the N/A 3800.

Best part of the 4.9 is it's reliability. Almost as good as the 3800. I've read it was Cadillac's lowest warranty claim engine ever. You don't want the stats on the Northstar, it eats head gaskets for breakfast. This is why I bought a Reatta instead of an Eldorado, and am quite happy with that decision to be honest.

Only problem is availability. Since they were only in Cadillacs from 91-95, and only in the Deville from 93-95, finding one that hasn't been chewed might take some searching. Can't buy a new crate 4.9 anywhere that I've seen. Too bad GM killed it just like the 3800. These were both solid designs that just lacked the "sex appeal" of a newer engine.

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

I did ALOT of researching on this a couple of years ago. Now with the current trans problem, the 4.9 actually sounds like a good idea... especially since the reatta is going to be sitting for a while, might as well do the swap.... will keep updated

Issue with the 4.9 is you will losse so much of the on board diagnostics. Also you would have to run a second compute to control the engine. If you were to do it I would beg you to do it in a a 90/91.

I am just a huge fan of keeping the touch screen working, to include the amaing dianostics portion.

With some indepth research one might find that one of the caddy ECMs from 88-89 may comunicate with the Reatta BCM. After all they used many of the sam computer moduals.

Guest CL_Reatta

Yes, if I remember correctly the ECM will communicate with the BCM properly. I have a 90, hence the reason for doing this. I also remember reading that the conversion was not THAT difficult.

That would be interesting. Suspect a close study of the ALDL.ZIP file would answer the question.

Might try putting my scan tool on the 90 and tell the tool it is a Cadillac.

Once had a way to extract the data stream itself but that was years ago and I forget what is the first.

ps File is ALDLSTUFF.ZIP - see INDEX.DOC (use notepad)

I may be wrong on in this line of thinking, but the Eldorado was E platform just as the Reatta and Riviera. Thus, the Eldorado PCM from 91 may work with tweaks. Bear in mind that 1991 is the only year the Reatta and Eldo have in common, where the Eldo got the 4.9. In 1990, all Caddies had the 4.5.

In 1992 there was no Reatta, but the Riviera was essentially unchanged from 91, so there should probably be some commonality to be found with the 92 Eldo. Then again, 1992 was the major redesign for the Eldorado, so I don't know what effect this has on my theory.

Anyway, this probably only helps for transplant into a 91 Reatta. 88/89 would much more difficult if there is any hope to preserve the touchscreen diagnostics.

KDirk

Suspect the Allante might be a better starting point 88-90.

Given both an Allante and a Reatta prom for the right year, could probably transplant the data stream subroutine.

Not saying it would be trivial, just doable, but better to keep the original MAPS for the engine and change the data stream.