What do I drive to the Nationals

Bill Stoneberg

So here is my dilemma, I have my 1964 Riviera that I pulled from a garage about a year ago.

I have gone through everything except the motor. I would like to drive that the 5,000 plus miles to Seattle and back. But, I have only put maybe 1000 miles on the car and am not sure if I really trust it yet. I seem to be having issues that are still not solved. Like yesterday, I broke a rocker arm while driving it home.

What would you do ?

BTW, I leave Saturday morning.

Bill, you are going through the old 'heart vs. head' conflict. This situation haunts us all. Your heart says 'Drive it! It will be alright. You will have lots of fun.' But your head is asking you 'Is it worth the risk?' There's no easy answer. Personally speaking, I've notice a change in my thoughts about this. As I grow older I get more conservative, where the head usually wins out. When I was younger I thought nothing about driving a car across country without first getting to know the car. But after several trips that involved on the road mechanical problems, I've softened up a little bit. Now this is just my opinion, but I would not drive it 5000 miles until you feel confident in it. You'll know when it is right. When you can get to the point of hopping in it without hesitation, not even thinking about how it will fail, then you can take it. I know you've had that feeling with other cars you own. There's nothing worse than taking an old car on a long trip and expecting something to break. The fact that you posted this asking for opinions tells me you don't have that confidence yet. Whatever decision you make, good luck with it. I'll see you in Seattle.

Guest Straight eight

I agree, now is not the time to try the untried. Other than the 47, what have you got that is tried and true?

Bill

You know my feelings: drive it! Every year we get closer to the last year we will have that opportunity, whether due to fuel prices and availability or health and age.

As you know even new parts, rebuilt parts or closely inspected parts can fail. You are still too young to be a worrier. Ask your passengers if they can deal with all imaginable "what if's" and then take it for a 50-100 mile ride tonight.

Willie

Head VS Heart, Not a clear winner between those two yet.

Other then the 47, which is not going this year, I have the 88 Wagon that I would drive.

It went to the Nationals last year.

Maybe my other passenger will chime in here and tell me what he wants to do.

I will have them both ready to go, maybe after a long drive in the rain tonight I will have a better idea. Willie, you working tonight ? Want to get a beer in Luling or Flatonia ?

I am the guy who picked up a non-running 24 Buick in Iowa on Wednesday before the Rochester meet. It required new tires, heat riser tube, carb spring, rebuilt vacuum tank, etc. etc.... With help from a couple of my Buick buddies, it all got fixed on the front lawn of the convention center in time to drive it to the PWD dinner on Friday night. Then I drove it another 350 miles in the AfterTour. So consider my opinion to be coming from a crazy risk taker when it comes to driving old cars long distances.

Like I said to one of the guys who helped me get all that done in two days,....

"No guts.... no glory!"

What caused the rocker arm to break?

Guest rlbleeker

Drive it. What's the worst that could happen? If it break anywhere near Spokane, I've got a couple parts cars.

I agree. Drive it. I don't know the car's or your background, but if you've been through it what more can you do. Let's face it , a 1964 Buick is not that old compared to say Pre-War stuff.

If you drive in convoy or at least have a passenger that's comfort in itself. Load up the trunk with some tools and hit the road !!

Last year I drove a 1971 Centurion home from the Australian Nationals ( New York -- LA distance )

Apart from a loose exhaust , it never missed a bit.

Bon Voyage + Good Luck

Ken

( 1954 I )

A.)Here's the serious answer.

I'm so bummed I can't pull up behind you on the way due to my vacation limitations.

B.)Here's the selfish answer.

Take my 55 and get my Senior preservation award so I can REALLY start driving it.

C.)Here's my Old Tank answer.

"Take off like you know what you are doing."

I'll be missin' y'all, I guess I'll watch from the sidelines. I sure hope you don't have the excitement from the past two years.

Mikey

Knew I shouldn't have pulled out of that trip Bill, see, now you're having second thoughts!!!!

Seriously though my view is take it for the drive. Maybe go a bit easier initially but from experience I have found after a few hours behind the wheel becoming comfortable and identifying various noises you gain confidence in the car. From what you've told us over the last 12 months you have gone through the important safety areas and it only seems to be the motor that is worrying you. Its a Buick not a Cessna, if the motor stops you're not going to fall out of the sky!!!!

Good luck Bill, sorry I'm not there to lend a hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 29 tourer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. Drive it. I don't know the car's or your background, but if you've been through it what more can you do. Let's face it , a 1964 Buick is not that old compared to say Pre-War stuff.

If you drive in convoy or at least have a passenger that's comfort in itself. Load up the trunk with some tools and hit the road !!

Last year I drove a 1971 Centurion home from the Australian Nationals ( New York -- LA distance )

Apart from a loose exhaust , it never missed a bit.

Bon Voyage + Good Luck

Ken

( 1954 I )

</div></div>

Hey Ken,

What's that ( 1954 I ) under your name mean????

So, I took it for a drive this evening and am feeling mo betta about it now.

We went on side roads and then freeways at speeds from 60 something to a charge at 90 something

as this little ricer came along side of me and laughed.

So my heart is still saying take it and its voice is getting louder.

Stuart, How about the Riviera Nationals next Summer ? Up through the heartland.

To be honest, any time you want to come on over, we can take a raod trip somewhere...

Bill, 5563 has an interesting proposition! Perhaps even "mutually beneficial"!!! Hmmmmm . . . . just remember the vehicle must be registered for the meet, rather than just "show up". Is there still time?

Can't advise on the "Drive the Riv" issue, though, but I'm sure you'll have a working cell phone with you, anyway. And, of course, I know of one associate in AZ that is known to have a trunk full of parts (belts, hoses, water pump, alternator, etc.) in his '70s Buick . . . plus tools . . . just in case (good thing it has a huge trunk!) . . . every time he goes to a BCA National Meet.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467