WHERE HAVE ALL THE BUICKS GONE?

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

I got back last night from the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle Pa. It was 744 miles both ways. I think I could count the new Buicks I seen on this trip on less than two hands. That's pretty bad for the Northeast area, or any area at all. How is that company surviving????????????? As a kid growing up in the 50's &60's, this was unheard of. They are definitely doing something wrong........

Chrysler, on the other hand has some exciting cars on the way.

Guest imported_Thriller

We see lots of Allures and Rendezvous around here, with the odd Lucerne thrown in. I have seen 4 Rainiers here in a city of about 700,000, and one or two Enclaves so far. Perhaps it is a regional thing...perhaps it is just the road you were on compared to that of the Buick drivers.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......perhaps it is just the road you were on compared to that of the Buick drivers.

</div></div>

These are all major interstates covering 5 states...... Let's face it, the cars arn't selling. They say the US car maker will only make up 40% of the car sales here in America. What's that make Buick, 2 %?

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old-tank</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You probably saw a lot of Buicks, but could not identify since they look like all the other jelly beans on the road. </div></div>

Yea, I thought that, but today every car has it's own logo. Some, bigger than most.

I have to say that in the Buffalo area, Buicks are out there and seem to be plentiful. We have often remarked that Buick sales in this area must be above the average. At one time I would have said that was because of the strong GM influence but that no longer holds true.

Stevo

While it's true that GM sales are continuing to fall (it's current market share is 22.1%), and Buick is losing market share in particular (sales about 30% less than just last year), there are two other factors to consider.

First, Buick styling is quite sedate and is frankly hard to spot in traffic these days. In particular the Lucerne, especially from the rear, looks very generic and isn't as eye-catching as (for instance) a Prius or Aztek. Also they're painted in very muted colors which also makes thgem hard to spot. ( <span style="font-style: italic">None of this is to say they're unattractive, quite the contrary.</span> )

Second, GM has very recently made a massive reduction in fleet sales, especially to rental agencies. When traveling on interstates a substantial number of cars are rented. Today a rented Buick is a lot less common than it was even a year ago. GM publicly blames a great deal of Buick's current decline on the loss of fleet sales, which are heavily discounted and not very profitable.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHERE HAVE ALL THE BUICKS GONE? </div></div>

China ??? </div></div>

Bill, nothing to laugh at, but at least they're keeping what's left of the brand going. confused.gif

Well, if So California is still a leader in auto trends this may be good news. I see quite a few LaCrosse's (still has not grown on me - especially the backend) and regularily see Lucern's (look is growing on me). As Dave mentions - sedate styling but easy on the eye. Now a sporty looking model of each would be nice.

Anyone have sales figures by state? I'm thinking Buick may be up in California

I see plenty of Buick's on the road. Frankly, I wonder why anyone buys one. They have no style anymore. How they came from the Riviera of the '60's to todays cars is beyond me. In 2003 I bought a new Century for my Mother. The only real reason for buying the car was that they gave it away. literally. I think the price was like 25k and buy the time they were done with discounts and incentives, I ended up paying about 17.5K for the car. That's 30% off. Now mind you, it seems to be a good solid car, although really, really, bland. But maybe that's what 80 year old ladies want. Anyway, it was pretty hard to beat the price. That's why I bought it. Maybe that's why there are a bunch of them on road here in Maryland.

Guest n1gzd

This weekend I went to a nice little show in Lincoln MA (Codman house estate). I was really impressed with the nice Buick selection that showed up so they are out there.

Rebecca

• 4 weeks later...
Guest unclefogey

Short survey while driving on the westward leg from St. Paul to Seattle via US 12 and 2 with short stints on I90. Counted cars passing me which was everyone. One Lucerne, five LaCrosses. LeSabres, too numerous to count.

I read that last year more Buicks were sold in China than the US. To many years of offering us mediocre cars, lackluster styling, customer spending too much time in the service dept. Don"t feel a bit sorry for GM.

OK Buick People; I purchased a new Poverty model Honda Accord 4-dr. Power windows, locks, a/c, cd player etc......they all have that equipment, 4 cyl. It's gold and it is BUTT-UGLEY. Who cares? Here's what we wanted. A solid and reliable car that won't puke on us. It actually runs and drives fantastic! GM, sure. American and junk. The people really getting extra screwed are Ford and Chrysler buyers.

You can't beat a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda. Look at resale values. Put a 1997 Taurus on Craig's List for market price and eventually you might have to beg somebody to take it off your hands. The same type car that's Japanese? 25 calls the first day for at least twice the price with probably a lot more miles on it. Mitch

So you see, it ain't the styling. Japanese cars have been better for quite a long time, they're better now and will continue to be miles ahead of American iron for a hundred years to come. Mitch

Guest rlbleeker

Just hit 160K on our '96 Riv, no problems yet. Just picked up a nice low mileage '99 for if the '96 ever does die. I wouldn't drive an Accord if you paid me.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrlforfun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You can't beat a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda. </div></div>

A new Aura will put any of those to shame.........and at less money! Ask someone who owns one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrlforfun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't beat a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda. Japanese cars have been better for quite a long time, they're better now and will continue to be miles ahead of American iron for a hundred years to come. Mitch </div></div>

Would have to respectfully disagree Mitch. I just traded my loaded '06 Toyota Avalon Limited for an '07 Lucerne CXS. With only 20k miles on the odometer, the Toyota's ride quality was worse than my '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The thing was also a rattle box. I bought the Toyota for their reputation of quality, but I have to say that the Avalon turned out to be a piece of s_it. I am much happier with the excellent fit, finish and ride quality of the Lucerne. Oh and the Lucerne has a better factory warranty.

To each their own,

Guest edalfa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's what we wanted. A solid and reliable car that won't puke on us. </div></div>

A solid, reliable car huh? You may be interested in the attached article. It certainly shows that there <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> other choices. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/09/business/NA-FIN-US-Autos-Dependability.php

Guest Skyking

A quote from that article.......

An official with Toyota Motor Corp., which owns Lexus, says the company is pleased that its Toyota, Lexus and Scion divisions took 10 of 19 segment awards and doesn't see a problem when other automakers improve.

"It's always good to see the industry ... as a whole perform better than prior years — that's a positive trend for consumers," Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager for the Toyota division, said Thursday.

What an understatement.......I think they are the greedyiest car company in the business.