Build site yields small automobile "treasure"....

keiser31

Some of you know that I used to draw plans for a living. Well, I am retired now, but a friend's home burned down last winter so I am helping him out. I drew the plans for his home and since help of the builder sort is difficult to find here, I decided to help him build the home, too. The original site was for a gas station. The home that was on the site was so bad that it was actually a blessing that the house burned. Anyway....as I was helping today, I saw a round object in the dirt and kicked it. It popped out of the dirt and much to my surprise, I found that it was a crank hole cover! This find gives me the opportunity to show you the residence AND the old car "treasure". Here are some photos....

Picture 9234.jpg

Picture 27547.jpg

Picture 27826.jpg

Picture 27894.jpg

Picture 27895.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

He said it was a Crank Cover.........so my thinking is it covered the Hand Crank they had back in the early days to start the engine. You could cover the hole on the front of the car if it also had a battery and starter, uncover if the battery was dead or there was no starter?

• Like 1

Hey Don't laugh too much about finding stuff.  A friend went to an auction and won a 33 Ford grille, Maybe about 6 years ago, with really nice chrome for around $1000.  He then never took it out of his trunk and went to another auction,  the following week and was bidding on a Hudson Convertible for me which I didn't think he would win (my budget wasn't high enough and I kind of had that feeling when he went) But he won a twin H setup that was complete but damaged first, anticipating he would win the Convertible.  (he's more optimistic than me) Well after losing the car (which didn't meet reserve anyways)  He took the grille out of his trunk and leaned it up against a tree to load the Hudson twin H setup in his trunk.  You guessed it.  He took off and never loaded the grille back in the car so it was just leaning up against a tree in a car guys neighborhood. He didn't realize he left it there until a week later when he opened the trunk at Hershey to show me his big score (the grille).

If it was in Oregon,  I'm sure Keiser would have happened upon it.  I still feel bad for him today.  I think the Hudson intake didn't even bring $200 when I finally got rid of it,  when I sold my shop. 

This 1951 plymouth connecting rod and misc engine parts were buried back in approximately 1966 by my childhood buddies in their back yard to dispose of them.

They split the property up in 1995 and built a house.....doing the foundation and digging the parts up.......        He  called me up and gave me this connecting rod.

It was the very first engine work I had ever done! 14 years old!

I'm a retired mechanic and have done hundreds of engines since that one.... a nice trophy for me being lost for many years.

You never know what's under your feet or house?

1st con rod job.JPG

• Like 3