Cannot get enough positive caster om 39 Special

BUSHOCKER

14 hours ago, Mikefit said:

Do you have the car completed motor trans. finders hood beer on it .

Tell me more about the hood beer!?

Autocorrect makes interesting reading...

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi:

I have done alignments on 50s--90s cars.. but am not able to get enough adjustment on the old upper pin adjustment system.. Car is complete and has been on the road.. Toe in is easy adjustment..Need some positive caster for best steering..

Thanks

BUSHOCKER

Could it be that there is something bent /worn on the lower control arms you could take a measurement from the lower ball joint to the back side of the rear axle and compare the right and left side and see if that shows any great discrepancy like the lower arm is pushed back some making a lot of -- caster that you can not over come with the upper adjustment or do you have a lot of -- camber that you can not over come .  Please let me know.  Mike

Bushocker:

I have heard of the upper pin assembly not moving through its full range and this is sometimes due to old hardened grease preventing full movement.   The other possibility is if the upper pin assembly is not correctly installed in the ends of the shock absorber.   Other than these two there may be bent or damaged components of the lower control arms as stated in the post above or possibly the shock absorber.

Let us know what develops.

Joe , BCA 33493

There's been no disccussion about what the factory caster spec is and how much caster exists now.  From the above comments, it sounds like Bushoker would like easier steering and thinks that more caster will give him the results he desires.  It is quite possible that the car is within factory specs and more caster may be a major modification that will not yield the desired results.

All these old cars require more steering effort than cars of the 50's and newer.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

If '39 is the same as '50/ and I believe it is, the prefered caster is 3/4 degree, with limits of 1/4 to 1 1/2 degree.   The upper pin should be installed such that it holds the upright in the center with upright vertical. Hope that makes sense.  Then the camber and caster are set at the same time, per shop manual.   1/4 turn of the adjusting pin gives 1/4 degree caster change.  1/2 turn gives MAX camber adjustment.

Ben

• Like 2

Hi Guys"

Thanks for your ideas..I found my old 1946 Motor manual and it had the same specs as Bob H mentioned.. So I rechecked my 39 and found that the left side within specs and right side so close it suits me. Reset toe and I am done!  Heading to have a top put on next week..

Thanks All!.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1