Thank you Schmiddy and Jenkins Upholstery

Seafoam65

I wanted to redo my 65 Trunk in the correct materials and didn't have my original trunk matting to refer to.

Schmiddy sent me a snippet of his old trunk mat, and armed with that I determined that Jenkins upholstery's material

is an extremely close match to the original fabric. Jenkins offered to make a kit for me ready to install with all the pieces

already cut out and with a fiber board backing on the section that goes over the main trunk floor. I specified that the spare

tire cover needed to have the reddish brown vinyl bead between the top and the sides of the cover like the factory. They sewed

it all up for me and got it shipped out in two weeks and the whole thing fit like a glove, like the factory did it. I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks to Schmiddy's sample I feel very good about the material that was used. I'll post a pic tomorrow on this thread. One thing that is odd

is that in their ad in the Riview, Jenkins only states that they sell the fabric for 65 dollars per yard, not that they will make a ready to install kit

with spare tire cover. The kit goes right in, only requiring a hole to be cut for the jack hold down spring anchor on the trunk floor, and a notch cut out

in the right rear corner where the square floor mount for the end of the bumper jack is located. As a finishing touch I installed a reproduction brown

factory rubber trunk mat with tri-shield  Buick emblem from CARS Buick parts. It is an amazing piece made from the same heavy weight rubber as the factory mats.

It's going to be "Showtime" in Overland Park Kansas this summer! Oh........I forgot to mention the price of the kit and the shipping was a very reasonable 263.00.

This did not include the grey cardboard side and rear trim pieces, as my cardboard parts were correct and very nice already.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

I wanted to redo my 65 Trunk in the correct materials and didn't have my original trunk matting to refer to.

Schmiddy sent me a snippet of his old trunk mat, and armed with that I determined that Jenkins upholstery's material

is an extremely close match to the original fabric. Jenkins offered to make a kit for me ready to install with all the pieces

already cut out and with a fiber board backing on the section that goes over the main trunk floor. I specified that the spare

tire cover needed to have the reddish brown vinyl bead between the top and the sides of the cover like the factory. They sewed

it all up for me and got it shipped out in two weeks and the whole thing fit like a glove, like the factory did it. I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks to Schmiddy's sample I feel very good about the material that was used. I'll post a pic tomorrow on this thread. One thing that is odd

is that in their ad in the Riview, Jenkins only states that they sell the fabric for 65 dollars per yard, not that they will make a ready to install kit

with spare tire cover. The kit goes right in, only requiring a hole to be cut for the jack hold down spring anchor on the trunk floor, and a notch cut out

in the right rear corner where the square floor mount for the end of the bumper jack is located. As a finishing touch I installed a reproduction brown

factory rubber trunk mat with tri-shield  Buick emblem from CARS Buick parts. It is an amazing piece made from the same heavy weight rubber as the factory mats.

It's going to be "Showtime" in Overland Park Kansas this summer! Oh........I forgot to mention the price of the kit and the shipping was a very reasonable 263.00.

This did not include the grey cardboard side and rear trim pieces, as my cardboard parts were correct and very nice already.

As Mr. Earl says "no pictures, it didn't happen."  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Ed, I've been reading your posts too long, because I knew you were going to say that! I'll post a pic tomorrow morning.

I'm getting to the point where I sight read for content and look at pictures.  When I went back and re-read your entire post, I saw that you said that pictures would be posted tomorrow.  My bad.  Should have known that you knew better.

Ed

Looks outstanding Winston! - Glad to hear Jenkins finally got more of the material reproduced......and a precut kit too! What type of foam backing did it have? He said he would replace mine since I got the last of the old stuff and the backing was separating. But that was 3 years ago!

We need to get that kit listed in the Riview classifieds and include in Jenkins current listing. If he has a part number or specific description send the info and details to Ray Knott. Or send it to me and I'll take care of it.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Looks outstanding Winston! - Glad to hear Jenkins finally got more of the material reproduced......and a precut kit too! What type of foam backing did it have? He said he would replace mine since I got the last of the old stuff and the backing was separating. But that was 3 years ago!

We need to get that kit listed in the Riview classifieds and include in Jenkins current listing. If he has a part number or specific description send the info and details to Ray Knott. Or send it to me and I'll take care of it.

Jason, he has done away with the foam. The material has a thick fiber backing.....nothing that could ever crumble when it gets old. The main trunk floor

section has a thick fiber board backing as well. It is a first class product all the way. There is no part number I am aware of, a person just needs to ask

for the kit for their Riviera, and specify if they want the cardboard parts included or not. Also, I specified that I wanted the reddish brown vinyl piping

on the spare tire cover like the factory did it. He originally was not going to put the piping on, and it took longer because he had to order the vinyl for the piping.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:45 AM, JZRIV said:

Jason, I have e-mailed Ray Knott with the specifics of the trunk lining kit and also sent along a pic which he can use in the Riview if he so wishes.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2018 at 4:41 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Winston, I dealt with Jenkins and They were most reasonable priced for the full kit for my 63 Riv. Jenkins lined my cardboard kit with gray vinyl that cleans easy enough. Initially we had some conversation regarding fit, etc. Jenkins was fast and generous in making right for me. Now, my whole kit to inc. shipping was tad bit more than $263.00, but I ordered the cardboard covered with the vinyl. Happy to learn you had a good experience with Jenkins.

Red Riviera Bob

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

There was no maroon colored thread in Schmiddy's original trunk lining material. I suspect there

was more than one vendor on the material and it varied a little.

There was a maroon thread in the originals, maybe faded away if the sample you used was well worn. The same hue is not reproduced in the replacement material. The replacement material always appears lighter in color as compared to mint original.

Tom

• Like 1