Convertible Top Rails - from what car?

AJFord54

I acquired these rails years ago from a deceased AACA member's estate.  He marked them but I can't make out the one word that would probably help identify them.  It appears all are there for both sides.  Would any of you recognize them?  He collected Mercedes, Auburns, Pontiacs, etc, mostly from the 20s and 30s.  Thanks.

Top Rails1.JPG

Top Rails2.JPG

Reads (unknown car), probably no help. My '31 Chrysler Roadster has 6 pieces each side, of similar sizes, thought these are clearly different, and only 5 per side. If you do some trial layout, you can likely figure approximately how they assembled to create a 3-bow top. The longest pieces likely went to the front bow over windshield, and the ones with the curve on end connected to a pivot bolt just back of door post. Many such sets had a small part to act as a sort of hinge to lock them when open. Here is picture of '31 Chrysler Roadster bows.

topiron4.jpg

• Like 2

AJ, I've been trying to figure out that mystery word, as I have no chance otherwise to ID those convt top bows. 

Could that mysterious word be something like, "Comic Clown" car? (I remember when there used to be lots of old cars converted into circus-like parodies, with junk tied all over them, eccentric axles, and lots of bizarre sounding horns.) That 6th letter is pretty obscured in the photo. Can you make it out any better in person? It seems to be the "key," at least to the second half of that long mystery word. 

Am I right that the last five letters of the mystery word seem to be "Crown" or "Crowm" or "Chowm," or "Chown," etc?

I'm just guessing that it might be easier to break down that word, than to match up those top bows by shape alone. 

Good luck!  

Edited by lump (see edit history)

It's funny - I looked at that word all day and couldn't figure it out.  Finally came up with "unknown".  What confused me was the "(" which I was mistaking for a "C".  Looked at the responses and Gunsmoke had figured it out right away.  I had even spent time looking at all cars ever made beginning with the letter "C".

Would these, due to their short length be from a 2 seater?  I'm going to put them together and re-photograph.  Also, the two short pieces that attach to the piece that has a hole through it - they don't have any holes drilled through them to attach.  How would they be secured?

Thanks for all the help.  It would be really nice to find the right vehicle.  BTW - There are traces of chrome on them if that helps in dating.

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)