1960s Lincoln grille piece?

Pete Phillips

Trying to identify this new grille piece in a 1960s Ford Motor Co. parts box. Lightweight, stainless, about 9 inches long, part number on box is C4VY-8164-A.

The deceased man who owned this had a 1964 Lincoln convertible, but I don't see anything like this on the front of one of those. Could possibly be in the wrong box... Box says "Grille Inter. Bar"

Thanks for any help.

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

As Terry said, "C4" usually indicates 1964 model year. The "V" as third character suggests Lincoln. The "8164" is the "basic" part number, which in this case translates to grille parts. 

Yet one thing about these style Ford part numbers is that they are written to describe the vehicle which a part was originally intended for; not necessarily what it was actually used on. One famous example is the number for the Boss 429 engine, which bore a number which implied it would be used in Fairlane platforms. Yet as far as we know, the Boss 429 was only ever factory installed in Mustangs. The story goes that the engine was originally intended to be used in Fairlane/Torino platforms, but a later decision put it in Mustangs. 

Nevertheless, I would start by carefully examining Lincoln and Mercury grille areas in 1964 and thereabouts. Good luck! 

I couldn't find any part of the grille that part should fit if it is to a '64 Lincoln as the part number suggests.

The box looks a little out of wack. How does the part fit in the box? is it slightly loose if you square the box up or does the box have to bulge around the part to fit it? If it's the later,  then there is a good chance it's boxed wrong. 

I am very familiar with 1964 Lincolns and I don't recognize it.

The chrome, holes and curve at the bottom makes me think rocker panel molding, but It is not '64 Lincoln rocker panel. 

The end with the two holes and the ridge butts up against something...

Take a look at the bottom of the front fenders on a '64 Lincoln, forward of the wheels. They have stainless steel trim pieces similar to this, but it's been a while since I looked at mine and I'm a little uncertain if what you have is a match. Looks like the trim for the driver's side.