40 FOOT CONTAINER

Robert G. Smits

In my experience, Bob , they are totally adequate for parts cars , and more delicate items too. I have not used them in a high humidity environment. Around here , they cost aprox $2500 - $3000 , and are , or are easily made rodent proof. Doesn't mean they will not sneak in while the box is open , or hitching a ride on contents. Do place proper rodent control inside as, a precaution. Insulation of course , is extremely beneficial if you will be providing any temperature or humidity control. I bought a 45' Great Dane freezer trailer for $600 , turn key roadworthy , from an online University of Washington surplus auction. Say Bob , as long as I have your undivided attention, I know how hard it can be to get hold of you. I left a voicemail , and email message regarding the 48 Cad engine and clutch. Haven't heard back from you , and it has been a while.   - Carl 

Certainly in some cases , Mike. In arid environments probably not. Or imagine a well sealed box in a place with large swings in temperature and humidity. In this imaginary location , if the doors are only opened on cold very dry days you might be better off sealed up. We are only talking parts cars here.   - Carl 

P.S. Just for the fun of it , here is my pup' on guard duty about 100' in from the high gate. You can see this is a very dry location. The veggies you see growing in a line across the road are irrigated by a year round creek. Not much traffic either. A car might come by 3 or 4 times an hour , if that. Bright white sides , and gleaming stainless doors and roof help to keep temps lower. Might not be a bad idea to paint a container gloss white. It WILL make a difference. Cheap A/C would be hanging another layer of ventilated shade siding 3 or 4 inches off the box top and South wall. You could get a decent artist to paint a picture of something cute on it !    -  CC 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add Great Dane pics & P.S. (see edit history)

Refrigerated containers are vented. They do not sweat like unlined containers.

I have seen an RO80 10 to 15 years after being shut in a sealed container. It was a mess. The inside was completely mouldy. The carburetor was completely choked with aluminium oxide in the venturi. All the other Al was badly corroded. It was very rusty. A beautiful, unmarked car was reduced to a parts car at best.

• Like 2

I have two that I use for storage.  My suggestion for best benefit would be to cut two holes about 1 ft above the ground on the sides , opposite ends towards the end and put heavy screen or other material over that hole that will vent and keep the rodents out.  Then cut two about 1 ft holes in the top of the container towards the ends and put one of those turbine vents like these on each hole.  https://www.lowes.com/pl/Roof-turbine-vents-Roof-vents-accessories-Ventilation-Building-supplies/4294512316.   Them spray foam the ceiling and about 1 ft down from the top.  Paint the outside top white and you should not have a problem. 

I have a friend that stores a 1912 Winton and other high end cars in a container fitted as described and he has no moisture or high temp issues.

I also store a lot of parts in old semi trailers and being about 4 ft off the ground have never had any moisture issues and they do not get very hot in the summer.

Have a good friend who has four containers in the back 40 for parts and cars. Any vent needs a match in the other end for air circulation and even a 500 cfm exhaust fan will cool one nicely even in a Florida summer.