Ronnie

What do you like and/or dislike about the Reatta?

This is a very old photo of my car but it's the best I have at the moment. The thing I wonder about is the "flourish" in the pinstripe to the rear of the door. I tried cropping and focusing on that area but apparently I failed. I don't see the same sort of thing on the vast majority of Reatta pics so I am wondering if this is rare or the pinstriper had some latitude in their application of the stripe? It is definitely the original painted stripe. DSC00213.thumb.JPG.5b2240e837d4018188c3b92b6ab2e27e.JPG

12 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I tried cropping and focusing on that area but apparently I failed.

Here you go, Buddy-

(click 3 times to greatly magnify- in another window) 

2_SEATER_PINSTRIPE_CLOSEUP.thumb.jpg.c2cddfcc3cf3bbfdcc5fceb052fd74ce.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2seater said:

if this is rare or the pinstriper had some latitude in their application of the stripe?

Hiccup? Sneeze? Signature? Were these applied "by hand", device, or...?

41 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Hiccup? Sneeze? Signature? Were these applied "by hand", device, or...?

I have no idea how it was applied other than it is painted. I have seen painted pinstripes being applied but usually on something that had an edge or some feature that could be used as a guide for a device with a wheel that maintained the spacing. It seems very long to be done completely freehand. Both sides are the same so if it was an error, it was repeated. I would think there must be a template of some sort, perhaps a tape overlay as a sort of stencil. It is a question I had been meaning to ask for a long time as my stripe needs to be replaced due to wear.

I can tell you that the pin stripe isn't uniform in the thickness of it. I buffed my car last winter and I decided to remove the pinstripe since it was already worn off in places. As soon as I touched it with the buffer in some places it disappeared. In other places the pin stripe needed a lot of buffing to remove it. Also it should be noted that the pin stripe is painted over the clear coat. I guess that is the reason it wears away with washing over the years and can be removed without damaging the paint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i might have mentioned how much i hate the factory reatta wheels.they are in the attic in case these cars are ever collectable.

My stock wheels have been off my car for so long I forgot that while they might have been "right" in 1988-1990 in my opinion are way out dated. There are lots of orther choices out there that dress up the Reatta.

My stock wheels are in the attic too. I started looking for different wheels when my brother-in-law told me he liked my new Reatta but thought I should get rid of the hubcaps and get some mag wheels for it. I think the stock wheels look good with some Reatta colors but the color red on my car just screams chrome to me. jmho :)

If you think about it....the car goes thru the paint operation and the clear coat is part of that operation.......otherwise, they would be pinstriped then run thru the paint again and could get contamination on the paint before clear coat.

Technically the pin stripe was added by hand.....but the operator used a pin stripe tool....not a brush and there was a fixture that guided the tool, I have see a picture of the fixture on the car and the car being pinstriped.

The operator did not have extra time to do his "thing" with the pinstripe........that extra was added by someone else.......possibly the car was restriped at some point and that extra was added.

Also......there was a "Pinstripe Delete" option on the order form.......you got $45 credit when the car was ordered without a pinstripe.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

If you think about it....the car goes thru the paint operation and the clear coat is part of that operation.......otherwise, they would be pinstriped then run thru the paint again and could get contamination on the paint before clear coat.

Technically the pin stripe was added by hand.....but the operator used a pin stripe tool....not a brush and there was a fixture that guided the tool, I have see a picture of the fixture on the car and the car being pinstriped.

The operator did not have extra time to do his "thing" with the pinstripe........that extra was added by someone else.......possibly the car was restriped at some point and that extra was added.

Also......there was a "Pinstripe Delete" option on the order form.......you got $45 credit when the car was ordered without a pinstripe.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing pinstriping being put down with a wheel fed by a small reservoir. So I gather no one else has an aberration like this? I suppose anything is possible during the first few years of its life and I have vague recollections of the previous owner telling me the car was purchased in the Detroit area. I am sure the car was not repainted judging by the number of paint chips but added after the fact when it was new?? Maybe. I guess I will have to look at it in detail when it comes out in the spring. I don't remember there being any sign it was modified on the original stripe but that's only going by my shaky memory.  Thanks for the input.

This styling trend seemed to be an early 1990s thing.  I had a hot boat during that time and many of the boats on Lake Michigan had that same EKG look.

Here is a pic of the 1990 Corvette Pace car that the factory included as a dealer installed decal.  Somewhat the same idea.

90 pace car.jpg

Does this sound feasible? I looked at that symbol- and it reminded me of the '90's trend of a decal on things, of an EKG "heartbeat" signifying "it makes your heart beat" or "I love it", etc.

il_340x270.897902142_p4o2.jpg.ceda0137497a8b41b9fc396a01a223a8.jpgthHZ9XIAPA.jpg.7cad5f383cd89aa39b3bd455f01b6697.jpgth35OWGO3M.jpg.cf7cf209f9a1157f7316309ae2abff57.jpgthRJ1F179R.jpg.2258b8e90f74804711bcf2f72467c5ed.jpg  2_SEATER_PINSTRIPE_CLOSEUP.thumb.jpg.4bf6f0097da512f08c766a008300315c.jpg

I bought my Reatta in 2013 with 41,000 miles on Pewter and grey interior coupe.  We live in Las Vegas for the winter and I went out on a lark to run down an ad in the Las Vegas Review.   I had a 1989 Red Coupe I bought as a brass hat while we were living in PA.  I was surprised what I found as the car looked like it came out of a time warp.  Story was it came out of Bryan, Ohio from a dealer named Stan Pepel where it sat inside at the dealership for 17 years and driven enough.  The owner died and the family donated the car to purple heart who sold it to a wholesaler who shipped it to Nevada for sale.  

Six years later I have replaced ac unit, rebuilt the transmission, put on new struts, a Barney Antenna, new tires, rebuilt the headlight motors and bell cranks, and tune up, fluids and etc.

I never want to get rid of this car and at 70 would like to give it to my grand kids who the oldest is only 8 now.

Turning 70 I need more geezer features to be safe.  I drive a 2017 Lincoln Continental and I am spoiled on navigation, backup camera, Sirius Radio, and lane assist.  I am giving up the stock radio for a Pioneer NEX with a flip out screen that fits the slot.  It will give me full nav. and all extras, backup camera and satellite radio.  I am going to put on Auto Sport blind spot side mirror as another safety measure and start putting some miles on the only 49,500 I have right now.  Paid $4K for the car and have about $9500 into it right now.  I have a great mechanic in Henderson, NV that doesn't take me to the cleaners like the dealers in town. I love this car and it gets a lot of looks, just like it did on the streets in Philly in 1989.post-91067-14314173982_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sheba65.  I have an 88 in the same color.  What is the contact info of your Henderson mechanic?  I am just a short drive to the East.  I will hit 73 shortly and it is difficult for me to crawl under the car and I am getting forgetful too:P.

No one local to me knows much about working on a Reatta.  The local Buick dealer has no one that ever worked on one!

Thanks brother.

Gil Hernandez is at 549 W. Sunset Rd. Henderson NV which is just north of Boulder City.  His phone is 702-567-2598 and he is the owner who has two very good mechanics.  They got my AC working perfectly after a bout with the local Buick dealer.  They also rebuilt my transmission, replaced all 4 struts, and all my fluids including the brake fluid.  Gill has fixed pan and manifold gaskets as well as plugs and etc. He is great for saying such and such looks great and you don't need it.  He has been in the business for 20+ years or more.  Tell him the Reatta guy from Chicago sent you.

Dennis

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, 2seater said:

I have no idea how it was applied other than it is painted. I have seen painted pinstripes being applied but usually on something that had an edge or some feature that could be used as a guide for a device with a wheel that maintained the spacing. It seems very long to be done completely freehand. Both sides are the same so if it was an error, it was repeated. I would think there must be a template of some sort, perhaps a tape overlay as a sort of stencil. It is a question I had been meaning to ask for a long time as my stripe needs to be replaced due to wear.

These are somewhat better pics of the pinstripe flourish I was talking about. Difficult to get a good photo with the reflections, but this is both sides and the angles and direction of strokes are toward the rear. The colors do not come through well, but is definitely the same color. I actually had a body shop look at it, perhaps to have the painted stripe replaced, and they felt it was all done at the same time. I bought the car three years old, so it is possible someone did work on it, but there is no evidence it has ever been repainted.

20180502_150819.jpg

20180502_150846.jpg

I like everything about the reatta  ! No one mentioned it , but for the size of the car,it has a big trunk and lots of room in back of the seats for storage ! I was driving a 1976 corvette,and  the gas prices were going up,so I started driving a 1986 Fiero 4 cyl. 5-speed .It got great mpg,but no room for anything ! I always liked the Reatta,but the prices were too high. I bought my 1989 about ten years ago for $4200.00 & put new struts on it. When I bought it , it had 164,000 miles on it ! It now has 318,000 on it.I had the trans rebuilt at  259,000 , but other than that,just the regular things that are needed. I now have 8 (inc 2 verts) & 2 for parts! The only thing I did to the engine was to replace the com sensor magnet !

there is very little I do not like about my Reatta.  It is my daily driver , and is about to go from central Michigan to Oregon and back.   When they introduced it , the thought of a hand built 2 seater fascinated me , but with 3 kids at the time real life prevailed.  Fast forward to commuting 74 miles each way to Flint Michigan and the search was on for a comfortable , enjoyable car for the commute and my first Reatta was purchased , and lives now not 5 miles from where the old Craft Center was.  They only thing I wish was that the transmission was strong enough to use this as the tow car for my teardrop camper.

Interesting. I bought the 88 Coupe in 2001when I wanted a bigger Fiero and was my DD until about '09 when I could finally afford a 'vert which became the DD. Back then I also had a '90 Bonneville for my wife and a '92 Transport for a truckster (have always had something that can be a 2-seater with a lot of luggage space for trips). Have always been somewhat indifferent about FWD/RWD for street cars.

Also have never had just one car,  just limit myself to what can have a garage door (five at moment) but in the early Y2K years it was all 3800 based. Not a lot of power but a really nice cruiser. They suit me.

Now the 88 is primarily for shows and personally always liked digital gauges and the CRT - Buick owners did not like when it came out but now kids are amazed. All of my cars are equipped for hands free phone and most have Bluetooth but nothing that cannot put back to stock easily.

Wheels: never cared for the stock wheels but mainly because are 15x6 when both the Bonne (16x7) and my last Fiero (15x7) had larger. My 70 Judge has 15x8s and am a fan of wheels wider than the tread. Both Reattas now have later 16x7 Pontiac snowflakes.

Today I have a Jeep tow car (DOHC 4-valve 6, 4 wheel DB, IRS, Frt & RR sway bars) and a SLK retractible in the front garage but reducing the herd and 'vert is just nicer to drive.

BTW AFAIR the reason for the pop up headlights was to meet a federal requirement for minimum headlight height.

I used to have a Little Boy teardrop, only weighed 440 lbs, pretty sure a Reatta could handle that. Think a Riv hitch will fit (check the archives - some have added one).

17 hours ago, padgett said:

BTW AFAIR the reason for the pop up headlights was to meet a federal requirement for minimum headlight height.

I used to have a Little Boy teardrop, only weighed 440 lbs, pretty sure a Reatta could handle that. Think a Riv hitch will fit (check the archives - some have added one).

my hitch was sold as for a reatta.it took maybe a month to get.

I saw my first Reatta up close on a dealer's used car lot in 97. I was hooked immediately. But I was a kid with not quite enough money, and I could not persuade the dealer to let me have a loan for the last $200 even though I had a good job.  I finally told the guy I'd be back the next day. He looked at me like, yeah, sure you will.

So, I went home and begged and borrowed the money from my friends and family. The next day I went back, and the dealer saw me come through the door, and immediately said, "Tough luck, pal. A guy just drove her home."

I finally got my first Reatta a few years ago. Then, in a span of a few months, I ended up coming across five more. I bought two of them, I think the others may have ended up being junked from what I heard later.  I still feel bad about that, but I didn't have room at the time for all of them even though they were all cheap. Finally, I got the convertible last year. I like it a lot, but I also like the coupes.

My favorite thing about the Reatta's is the ride. On these long, winding country roads the car just seems to glide effortlessly. I also love the fact that they're two-seaters. It just tells the world, "Hey, this car is about the driver's pleasure. Not hauling the little league team, or for Soccer practice, or whatever."

As far as dislikes? Parts availability. Somewhat underpowered. Some of the systems are overly complicated for what they do. But I still ❤️the car.

• Like 1