What do you like and/or dislike about the Reatta?

Ronnie

I like everything about the reatta  ! No one mentioned it , but for the size of the car,it has a big trunk and lots of room in back of the seats for storage ! I was driving a 1976 corvette,and  the gas prices were going up,so I started driving a 1986 Fiero 4 cyl. 5-speed .It got great mpg,but no room for anything ! I always liked the Reatta,but the prices were too high. I bought my 1989 about ten years ago for $4200.00 & put new struts on it. When I bought it , it had 164,000 miles on it ! It now has 318,000 on it.I had the trans rebuilt at  259,000 , but other than that,just the regular things that are needed. I now have 8 (inc 2 verts) & 2 for parts! The only thing I did to the engine was to replace the com sensor magnet !

• 2 weeks later...

there is very little I do not like about my Reatta.  It is my daily driver , and is about to go from central Michigan to Oregon and back.   When they introduced it , the thought of a hand built 2 seater fascinated me , but with 3 kids at the time real life prevailed.  Fast forward to commuting 74 miles each way to Flint Michigan and the search was on for a comfortable , enjoyable car for the commute and my first Reatta was purchased , and lives now not 5 miles from where the old Craft Center was.  They only thing I wish was that the transmission was strong enough to use this as the tow car for my teardrop camper.

Interesting. I bought the 88 Coupe in 2001when I wanted a bigger Fiero and was my DD until about '09 when I could finally afford a 'vert which became the DD. Back then I also had a '90 Bonneville for my wife and a '92 Transport for a truckster (have always had something that can be a 2-seater with a lot of luggage space for trips). Have always been somewhat indifferent about FWD/RWD for street cars.

Also have never had just one car,  just limit myself to what can have a garage door (five at moment) but in the early Y2K years it was all 3800 based. Not a lot of power but a really nice cruiser. They suit me.

Now the 88 is primarily for shows and personally always liked digital gauges and the CRT - Buick owners did not like when it came out but now kids are amazed. All of my cars are equipped for hands free phone and most have Bluetooth but nothing that cannot put back to stock easily.

Wheels: never cared for the stock wheels but mainly because are 15x6 when both the Bonne (16x7) and my last Fiero (15x7) had larger. My 70 Judge has 15x8s and am a fan of wheels wider than the tread. Both Reattas now have later 16x7 Pontiac snowflakes.

Today I have a Jeep tow car (DOHC 4-valve 6, 4 wheel DB, IRS, Frt & RR sway bars) and a SLK retractible in the front garage but reducing the herd and 'vert is just nicer to drive.

BTW AFAIR the reason for the pop up headlights was to meet a federal requirement for minimum headlight height.

I used to have a Little Boy teardrop, only weighed 440 lbs, pretty sure a Reatta could handle that. Think a Riv hitch will fit (check the archives - some have added one).

17 hours ago, padgett said:

BTW AFAIR the reason for the pop up headlights was to meet a federal requirement for minimum headlight height.

I used to have a Little Boy teardrop, only weighed 440 lbs, pretty sure a Reatta could handle that. Think a Riv hitch will fit (check the archives - some have added one).

my hitch was sold as for a reatta.it took maybe a month to get.

I saw my first Reatta up close on a dealer's used car lot in 97. I was hooked immediately. But I was a kid with not quite enough money, and I could not persuade the dealer to let me have a loan for the last $200 even though I had a good job.  I finally told the guy I'd be back the next day. He looked at me like, yeah, sure you will.

So, I went home and begged and borrowed the money from my friends and family. The next day I went back, and the dealer saw me come through the door, and immediately said, "Tough luck, pal. A guy just drove her home."

I finally got my first Reatta a few years ago. Then, in a span of a few months, I ended up coming across five more. I bought two of them, I think the others may have ended up being junked from what I heard later.  I still feel bad about that, but I didn't have room at the time for all of them even though they were all cheap. Finally, I got the convertible last year. I like it a lot, but I also like the coupes.

My favorite thing about the Reatta's is the ride. On these long, winding country roads the car just seems to glide effortlessly. I also love the fact that they're two-seaters. It just tells the world, "Hey, this car is about the driver's pleasure. Not hauling the little league team, or for Soccer practice, or whatever."

As far as dislikes? Parts availability. Somewhat underpowered. Some of the systems are overly complicated for what they do. But I still ❤️the car.

• Like 1