Correct drain plug washer

rodneybeauchamp

Hi, just a simple one.

Can someone advise the correct oil pan drain plug washer size ( inner and outer diameter and thickness) on the '63 Riviera 401.

When I drained the engine oil for the first time, I never had a new one, so reused the old one.

The one I removed was a thin nylon material, but unsure if this is correct for the motor.

My jobber store in Australia may have them, but I need the specifications.

What do you guys and gals use?

Copper type seals get crushed after the first application, and may leak each time they are reused there after !

The nylon type washers are more durable, and can be reused without any leak problems.

Simply match the nylon seal to the corresponding surface of your oil pan plug.

. . . it's  not exactly rocket science Rodney !

• Thanks 1

Thanks Randy,

my dilemma is that I have already changed the oil and put back the old washer, so no chance to match the old one. Besides, in Australia much of what we now have is metric so I really need a sample. Also, I was uncertain as to whether the PO used a correct washer.

At this stage I have a nos plug and washer being posted out, so I should be able to match it. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 7:29 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi, just a simple one.

Can someone advise the correct oil pan drain plug washer size ( inner and outer diameter and thickness) on the '63 Riviera 401.

When I drained the engine oil for the first time, I never had a new one, so reused the old one.

The one I removed was a thin nylon material, but unsure if this is correct for the motor.

My jobber store in Australia may have them, but I need the specifications.

What do you guys and gals use?

Rodney, I’m all for the right parts each and every time. The exception has occurred on this part. I gave up trying to find the right one so I made my own from cork/rubber gasket sheet goods. It

wasnt pretty, but it stopped the drip.

Hi RRB,

i was very fortunate that I found a NOS/ONS plug and washer through this forum. And even better is my local parts store had the washers which were very close to the originals. My problem was the PO had used a nylon washer which I guessed wasn't correct but wanted to make sure.

I agree, sometimes making your own is the best course. I'm doing that now with some of the exhaust pipe hangers by renewing the rubber component as I want to maintain the original brackets. Sure they will use a nut and bolt instead of a rivet but the rest will be the same. Better than using a universal fit hanger that is nothing like the original and often inferior.

I certainly enjoy the challenge of refurbishing rather than replacing.

Rodney

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi RRB,

i was very fortunate that I found a NOS/ONS plug and washer through this forum. And even better is my local parts store had the washers which were very close to the originals. My problem was the PO had used a nylon washer which I guessed wasn't correct but wanted to make sure.

I agree, sometimes making your own is the best course. I'm doing that now with some of the exhaust pipe hangers by renewing the rubber component as I want to maintain the original brackets. Sure they will use a nut and bolt instead of a rivet but the rest will be the same. Better than using a universal fit hanger that is nothing like the original and often inferior.

Rodney

Hi RRB,

Rodney

On 10/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks Randy,

my dilemma is that I have already changed the oil and put back the old washer, so no chance to match the old one. Besides, in Australia much of what we now have is metric so I really need a sample. Also, I was uncertain as to whether the PO used a correct washer.

At this stage I have a nos plug and washer being posted out, so I should be able to match it. ?

Rodney, now I'm on the task of replacing the clips that in the hub of the center cap assembly for the cast aluminium rims for my 63. The reason for replace as there are no clips in the hub. The metal thickness measures to a 20 gauge metal. It is a simple replication and a single riviera attachment. When I get some pics I'll send them to you. I believe I enjoy coming up with a solution rather than going unnecessary expense. Believe me, I do not confuse costs with economic considerations. For example, a new purchase could be less expensive than my home made solution. Oh, when it comes to exhaust hangers what ever it takes to keep the system from rattling gets my dollar. Cheers RRB 

Hi RRB,

Rodney

For your new exhaust hangers, check out using tubular rivets rather than nuts and bolts.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 6:41 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi RRB,

Rodney

Rodney, would you please tell me the manufacturer and/or part number- if handy? I need an extra plug and washer and would like to buy what fits first time out.

Thank you for the tip on the door jam switch and a source to have it fixed.

many thanks,

RRB

• 6 months later...