1967 A/C Compressor Squeal

EmTee

When I attempted to turn on the A/C last Sunday on the way home from Lake George there was a horrible screeching sound.  When I got home and raised the hood I could see that when the A/C was turned on the compressor clutch was slipping.  Later I determined that the compressor was not locked-up, as I could turn the shaft using a wrench.  Today I checked the voltage to the A/C clutch and measured only 10.2 Volts.  I verified a good ground connection (same reading at the negative battery post).  So, I suspect a bad clutch relay, but following the wiring back doesn't lead me to a relay before the wires head into the cabin.  There are two relays on the firewall, however, neither of them have the green clutch wire on them.  Can someone tell me where the A/C clutch relay is located?  Thanks in advance for any assistance!  -Tim

60's GM cars do not utilize a clutch relay.......the power comes directly from the switches in the dash. You probably have a voltage drop

at the switches or their connectors. That being said, usually the clutches slip on A6 compressors because the head pressure is going too high

due to    restricted refrigerant flow. If the clutch is actually kicking in, it shouldn't be slipping because of voltage being a volt low. You need to put guages

on the system and check the pressures.

OK, I'll check the belt and then try jumping 12 Volts to the clutch to see whether it makes a difference.  It doesn't seem like a head pressure issue to me because it happens immediately when I engage the A/C; it's not like the compressor spins for a minute and then starts squealing...

UPDATE:  First, I checked the A/C belt tension and it was loose, so I tightened it until I had approximately 1/2" deflection when I pressed the belt midway between the A/C and crankshaft pulleys.  After I did that I noticed that the washer on the forward compressor tension lock bolt was now essentially aligned with witness marks in the adjuster bracket that runs from the top of the compressor to the intake manifold (a good sign).  Next, I fired up the engine and tried engaging the A/C.  At this point the compressor was turning and cold air began blowing out of the dashboard vents -- all is well!  With the A/C running I re-checked the voltage at the compressor clutch and measured 13 Volts (voltage at the battery terminals was 14.7).  The previous voltage measurements were taken with the engine off (battery voltage was 12.5).

So, it turns out that the entire issue was a loose A/C belt.  I was surprised because even the 'loose' belt seemed as though it wasn't really that loose...  I had recently removed the upper compressor bracket so that I could paint the engine,  When I re-installed the bracket I tightened the belt an amount I thought would be sufficient without placing excessive strain on the water pump bearing.  I never turned-on the A/C until last Sunday.  Anyway, the long story short is I created the issue by having insufficient tension on the belt.  That said, although the A/C is now working as before, I did notice a steady stream of bubbles in the sight glass.  I did not run the A/C more than 3 or 4 minutes, but I think I need to find someone who can put gauges on the system and check the refrigerant fill level.  The system is still running with R-12.  I should probably try to snag a couple of cans of R-12 on E-bay.

Thanks to Winston, PWB and Jason for your input.  I'm glad that for once the issue turned-out to be something simple!

• Like 1

• EmTee changed the title to 1967 A/C Compressor Squeal

When I bought my (67) car it still had R-12 . A mechanic switched to R-34 but I know he didn't flush the system properly.. He added PAG oil. Then we saw the muffler was bad, so I had a welder just chop off the bottom and re-weld it back together,. No problem. Installed an upgrade from Vintage Air, and re-installed R-12.

Once in a while a would hear a squeal if I engaged it at high speed but haven't heard it lately. It may have had too much R-12. But I have two kinds of oil in the system- the original mineral oil, and the PAG oil. I go to a lot of cruise nites, show etc, and I ask good mechanics ( or at least I think they're good) should I flush the system and put in mineral oil. Everyone asks me - " how is it working?" I say, "Fine". On a real hot and humid day I notice it loses a little punch after an hour or so, but it doesn't bother me.

It seems exactly HALF of the guys say to flush it, and the other half say leave well enough alone. I have sided with the latter group, because, well, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Agree with Paul -- I want to stick with R-12 as long as I can.  I also agree that adding a couple of ounces of oil when I finally do get it topped-off is a good idea.  There is evidence of some oil film at the front of the compressor, so I'm sure some oil had escaped over the last 50 years...