Wondering about a value

Dynaflash8

I have run across a pair of 41 Buick Roadmaster sedans in a barn.  One appears to have decent paint, toasted interior, missing one of the two seatbacks and glovebox door, poor woodgrain.  It may or may not run.  The other was it's parts car I suppose.  It has the head off, destination unknown, but does have a rusty glovebox door and the seatback, covered with a 1950s vintage plastic seat cover.  Anything else the first car needs would be small.  The better car does have vent shades but no other accessories.  Pot metal condition not definable in pictures on either car, but bumpers aren't too bad on the better car.

Now back when I started in the 1955-56 timeframe the two would be worth maybe $25.  By 1962 when I joined AACA, maybe $75.  A car in the condition of the better car, then, if running (not necessarily well enough to drive 200 miles) would have been $125-150.  By 1971 maybe $300.  Okay, that's all ancient history.  Who could make a guess at the value today?  What would you think these two old sedans would be worth on the 2017 market?  I was quoted an astronomical price (in my opinion), of course I have a hard time dealing with prices today due to my 79 years and knowledge of what it was like way, way back in the day.  I might offer on them if I had any idea what would really be fair.

It would be fun to hear what all of you young people think.

Earl,

I don't have a good idea personally but Old Cars Report Price Guide says that the parts car (#6 condition) is worth $1,450 and the "Restorable" car, (#5 condition) is worth $4,360.  So I would say a ballpark figure of about $6,000 for the pair would be a good guess. 

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Earl,

I don't have a good idea personally but Old Cars Report Price Guide says that the parts car (#6 condition) is worth $1,450 and the "Restorable" car, (#5 condition) is worth $4,360.  So I would say a ballpark figure of about $6,000 for the pair would be a good guess. 

Well, that's some good advice.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I thought you were done with projects?

Also, the '41 70 Series is apparently now a Full Classic, for whatever it's worth (as of the August national board meeting--don't know why they kept it a secret).

Well, you hit the nail on the head there.  It would have to be a very small project with no paint job involved.  I don't think this is one of those, but it's almost down the street from one of my houses.  So........................., you know, the desire never dies until you do. :)

I always liked to do them to my own satisfaction and approval, absolutely authentic.  It grieves me that I can't do that anymore.  Most cars done by somebody else do not meet the standards I always set for myself and it's hard to come to grips with that.  I had something going, but I've had so much trouble from this darned hurricane, it just paralyzed me.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

I would think the "it may or may not run" would need to be answered before placing any values.

Well, the owner passed away, and there is what looks like a fairly fresh battery, so that predicts some hope that it did run sometime in the not-to distant past.  It's less than 100 miles from me, but the son is in another state, so a visit doesn't look promising before Hershey, and after that there is no chance to get there for me.  And to answer a previous question, now that this model is "approved" in the highest of circles (I and some friends worked hard for that), I am sure the price for an entry level Full Classic will skyrocket.

7 hours ago, ILIKECARS53 said:

I would agree with that if it were a convertible.  But classic status Buick sedans will only bring classic money if 100 point car.  Just my opinion.

I do not disagree with this.  Convertibles exite the masses more than they excite me.  I don't like the top down, and protecting the canvas is a constant concern, they rattle, and if nice need to have a closed trailer.  But they are the candy of the masses.  I have a '39 Special convertible sedan and I don't drive it much.  I'll be 80 in October 2018 and I want to sell my closed trailer, and hence the car after the AACA Sentimental Tour in Mississippi in Nov 2018.  I recently joined the CCCA to participate with the SoFlaRegion of that club.  Last year they invited me to join in on a local tour with my convertible and we did.  Probably a 47 Packard Super 8 sedan would have pleased them more than a 41 Buick Roadmaster, but a Buick will qualify now and I'm a Buick kind of a guy.  I won't have to worry about rain, or an aluminum open trailer for far off AACA tours either.  So, a sedan (my wife wanted 4 doors) is a great "old man's car" and I'm looking at the "buy in" rather than the "sell out" money.  I'd rather have a Limited, but it is bigger to handle and bigger to garage for old people.  By the way, I'm not seriously considering these two I found....too much work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Negotiate hard. Be prepared to walk. I picked up 2 40 sedans, a special and century for 1200 up near the canadaian border in WA. The special had a fresh complete rebuild of a 51 248. They started it for us.Parted as much as I could so my nearly done 40 spec. would have lots of extra parts. Sold the two shells for 900 locally. Still seem to be a few 40s around.

For what it is worth, the man sold both cars and the spare engine to his 2nd cousin.  I am in contact with the purchaser who owns a hotrod shop.  He doesn't know yet what he really plans to do with the cars.  If he decides to build a modified, I may be able to get some parts for my newest car, likely my last purchase.  I looked at a 59K sedan the same day I saw these two cars....729 miles round trip in one day.  That's pretty good for an old man turning 79 this month, huh?  Yesterday I purchased the 59K Roadmaster.  Aha, ya'll thought I'd never come up with the money right?  It had to be the right car and even this one was a close shave.  I'm really particular.  I bought a gallon of lacquer from a collector and the plan is to patch it, polish it, and go the original route.  The interior is immaculate, pristine.  It came with extra chrome good enough to use on an original car....the holdup for was the chrome on the car.  It looks like maybe this car was stored in a carport instead of a garage.  Going the original route, all I can do is degrease the engine and put new gaskets on it.  I may decide I can't leave it all original later as that's really not in my D&A.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 11:45 AM, RiKi5156B said:

Negotiate hard. Be prepared to walk. I picked up 2 40 sedans, a special and century for 1200 up near the canadaian border in WA. The special had a fresh complete rebuild of a 51 248. They started it for us.Parted as much as I could so my nearly done 40 spec. would have lots of extra parts. Sold the two shells for 900 locally. Still seem to be a few 40s around.

The 1951 engine is a 263 cid, and almost nothing will interchange with a 248 cid.