Refinishing 1st Gen grille

65VerdeGS

Hello all,

Anyone have tips/recommendations for repainting the flat (horizontal) bars of the '63-'65 grille?

My '65 has its original grille and the flat silver painted parts are looking grubby from age and stains of bugs and god-knows-what from over the years.

The chrome plated vertical face of the grille bars still look very good.  I'd like to refinish the horizontal side of the grille bars.

What sort of paint is 'correct'?

Any tips on how to repaint it?  I want to leave the grille in place - as any of you know that have removed the grille, these don't come out easy!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Alex

I'll be

I had to touch up a few spots on my grill when I bought my car and Eastwood silver ralley wheel paint is an exact

match to the original paint on the grill. When I got done you could not tell where I touched it up, the match was perfect. To paint the grill on the car

you will need to tape masking tape to the back side of the grill, use very narrow tape to mask off the chrome edges on the front, mask off all adjacent areas to prevent overspray from getting on the car and then paint it with the Eastwood in an aerosol can. This color which GM called Argent Silver, was used all throughout the the 1960's on their grills and ralley wheels. My 69 GTO grills and wheels have the same paint on them.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Believe me, it's easier to remove the grille. In reality it's not that hard. Shouldn't take no more than an hour or so. Much less time than taping, removing over-spray from car, etc.  I don't tape the chrome. After spray painting a few rows just use your forefinger to wipe the chrome bars. Then continue on for the next few. If there is a slight film use your forefinger with a rag moistened with lacquer thinner or Brakleen & wipe off.

Just my thoughts as the way I've done this in the past.

Agree - Removing sure would make it easier to do a better job. With it removed you can spray it from the back side minimizing what sticks to the chrome front and then needing wiped off. If you do it on the car, be patient and spend a lot of time masking behind  and around the grille.

Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum is also an exact match and readily available inexpensive locally. It covers real well and sticks good.

Ive done it both ways. The first time I sat on a cushion w some tunes and a beer or six and went to work w the masking tape. It is not that hard, just very painstaking work. I cleaned everything w alcohol, precut strips w Xacto knife, & started masking. If you can channel it into some kind of Zen-like experience it can be somewhat less frustrating. The main problems are the awkward angle of the grille & the amount of masking involved, not only all the chrome surfaces but also the surrounding car ,including behind the grille.   ( Or you can do it the easy way w the finger, like Telriv suggested, which is what I will do if there is a next time.)   The second time I chose to remove the grille. Despite what anybody says, that turned out to be a real PITA, & I scratched the valance below it badly. Both ways ended up taking aprox. the same amount of time, so take your pick.  As JZRiv said, the Krylon Dull Alum. is a perfect match to the original Argent.  However, my '65 is the exact same color, so it gave a washed-out look that I did not like. The second time I used Krylon semigloss black ,not only on the grille but also between the clamshell ribs and in the rally wheel inserts. It may not be stock but definitely gives more definition, especially  to the Silver Riv.  I usually top everything off with a shot of Krylon semigloss clear for extra protection.       Anyhoo, the main idea is to have fun, so good luck!         Drew  

In the previous post, Drew mentions that he tops everything off with a "shot of clear."  Good idea. Something that I've discovered in painting the frames of the vintage Schwinn bikes that I also restore is that Duplicolor makes a high temperature engine clear that also contains ceramic.  It's really tough and durable.  Probably more so than just your regular clear.  Might be worth looking into.

Ed

I would NOT remove the grill just to paint it.........Much easier to just mask and shoot. If the grill has been there for

53 years, why disturb it when there is a good alternative? I have read that sometimes the pins on the bottom of the grill twist off

when you put a wrench on the speed nuts to remove them......why take a chance on screwing it up when you can do a nice job by just masking? I guarantee you I could mask that grill off and have it ready to shoot paint on   in half the time anybody could remove the grill and put it back on.

There is a huge potential for scratching the paint on the fenders and bumper valence if you remove the grill. I would equate this to removing  

your shoes so you can wash your hands.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Never having pulled a 65 grill, I can't comment on this,  but on the 63/64 grill, the "pins" on the bottom of the grill are actually studs that can be removed from the grill.  I've double nutted them and pulled them before removing tne grill so there'd be no chance of them scratching the valance.

• Like 1

I'd submit that pulling the grill gives you access and opportunity to do a little work on the radiator shell, etc. -- as well as a better job on the grill itself.  I'd also say that I don't remember that pulling the grill was particularly aggravating.  Of course, I don't remember why old girlfriends annoyed me, either. :D

12 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I'd submit that pulling the grill gives you access and opportunity to do a little work on the radiator shell, etc. -- as well as a better job on the grill itself.  I'd also say that I don't remember that pulling the grill was particularly aggravating.  Of course, I don't remember why old girlfriends annoyed me, either. :D

I painted my entire radiator support with the grill in place by masking everything.....was very easy and looks fantastic.

DSCN0101.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your great tips and suggestions!

Eastwood stuff is great, but must be mail ordered into Canada.  Importing from the USA to Canada can be a PIA, and gets expensive.  A spray can costing $6.00 US can wind up costing $18 Canadian!  Don't laugh - any mail order shipment from the USA carries a $10 Canada Post "processing fee", plus 5% G.S.T. plus shipping cost, in addition to the exchange rate on the purchase, and the extra 2-3% foreign exchange conversion fee tacked on by the credit card company!  Ok, end of rant - pity us poor Canadians, will ya?

So, I'll be looking to find the "Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum", which should be easier to find locally. 

I'm definitely going to repaint my grill in the car.  The body man that restored my Riv years ago told me that he had quite some difficulty in getting the grille out.  He was especially concerned with breaking the studs, which he said can happens if you're not careful.  Also, the fitment of the grille is very tight, so there's a good chance of scratching lower valance in getting it out.  As finicky as it might be to refinish the grille on the car, that's what I'm going to do.  I'll post pics when I get this 'little' job done.

Cheers,