Paint under spark plug cover? 1937 Special

70sWagoneers

1937 Buick 40 248ci

Does anyone know if the engine block was painted around the spark plugs under the spark plug cover? And perhaps was the mounting surface under the cover painted too or was it left bare where the gasket went? I already painted the rest of the engine under the assumption that they painted the engine assembled with all the various covers and then replaced the gaskets afterwards for the valve/spark plug/lifter covers. I'm assuming under the valve lifter cover is oil soaked so it doesnt get paint. But I'm getting the feeling the spark plug area should be painted too!

Thanks.

20170618_095402.jpg

The sparkplug area of the head is painted engine color., as is the side cover. The engine was painted almost completely assembled.

Since the back of the water pump and back of the crank pulley on my original '38 were painted, I'm asuming they were painted separately.

The valve cover had to be painted separately since the Buick logo is applied on it. They would not have removed the cover just to do that - I think.

While the outside of the sparkplug cover is green, I believe the inside is black.

Hate to break it to you but TEAM BUICK is not 100% accurate. 

Mine was a late 38 and it is the charcoal grey color like the 39 in one of you pictures. It has never been out of the car and was the original motor number on the original title. It definitely was not green. Here it is and the only thing changed is new wiring.

MOTOR.jpeg

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

5 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Dave,

Sorry to break it to you but 1933-1938 were all originally Buick Green.  Here are a couple of links. The first one has photos.

https://www.libuickclub.org/buick-engines/

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/engine_colors.php

The team buick page has this comment on it

The following is a table of engine paint colors used by Buick. It should be noted that in some instances changeover in paint color may not have coincided exactly with the change in model year. Such non-listed uses should be documented.

So it's entirely possible

13 hours ago, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

The engine is Blue in my 38, were they green in 37?

Dave,

Words are important to written communication...

If you had said your engine was grey I would have pointed out that it could be original as a late 1938 could have the 1939 color.  You did not say that. You said it was Blue.

Apparently your engine is the 1939 Grey.

Thanks guys. I think my engine had a few replacement pieces; the spark plug cover, rocker cover, and water pump were all painted a non-matching shade of green which wasn't sticking well to a black under coat. The block was the correct original color. The head Im not sure about.