Inline fuel filter location

4 minutes ago, JWLawrence said:

You will most likely get many suggestions. I prefer to have an inline filter installed just before the fuel pump. This method helps to protect the fuel pump and carburetor. JWL

The added advantage of putting it on the suction side of the pump is that now you've eliminated the possibility of a leak at the filter spraying fuel everywhere.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JWLawrence said:

You will most likely get many suggestions. I prefer to have an inline filter installed just before the fuel pump. This method helps to protect the fuel pump and carburetor. JWL

I think I'm going to move it by the pump it sounds like I'll be better there so other components to get damaged. I'm new the antique car and doing a full tune up want to make sure everything is rite.  Thanks really appreciated 

I never thought an additional filter is necessary on these older engines since they are not fuel injected with small pinhole openings in the injectors that can get clogged easily.

I have been driving my 1933 Chevrolet for over 45 years with the original setup and have never had an issue related to the original fuel system.

The screen at the top of the fuel pump bowl should be sufficient to filter any chunks of junk that could cause issues with the carb.

On one of my other forums people are frequently writing in about issues associated to installing similar fuel filters, but I have never seen someone write about the original setup on their car other then leaking gaskets around the bowl to fuel pump contact point.

Generally all the additional connections for rubber hoses, etc add addition point where the fuel system can leak over time so  I will stick with original setups.

28 minutes ago, Vila said:

I never thought an additional filter is necessary on these older engines since they are not fuel injected with small pinhole openings in the injectors that can get clogged easily.

I have been driving my 1933 Chevrolet for over 45 years with the original setup and have never had an issue related to the original fuel system.

The screen at the top of the fuel pump bowl should be sufficient to filter any chunks of junk that could cause issues with the carb.

On one of my other forums people are frequently writing in about issues associated to installing similar fuel filters, but I have never seen someone write about the original setup on their car other then leaking gaskets around the bowl to fuel pump contact point.

Generally all the additional connections for rubber hoses, etc add addition point where the fuel system can leak over time so  I will stick with original setups.

Having gotten my car from someone who really did not RESTORE it, but rather assembled it and painted it, I wanted to be certain that NOTHING got into the engine from the fuel tank. The previous owner also never fixed or replaced the original mechanical fuel pump, so I have just been driving the car and restoring it as I go. My first 1931 Dodge coupe has all of the original equipment and was a great driver with no issues.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think I put the factory filter element in my "60 Buick last time I worked on the carb. I remember it going in easily without a lot of fussing around. I think the previous 9 years it had been out because of some inconvenience I didn't tolerate.

What kind of stuff are you filtering out, anyway?

Bernie