Help ID tail lamp assy. Looks 1930's

lump

This interesting old tail lamp assembly showed up at a local flea market recently. It is very large, and appears to be for the left rear fender. The housing is cast aluminum or zinc, and features the letters "GMC" on the bottom, along with a 6-digit number, which is "058647." I ASSUME it is for a large truck or bus, from the late 1930's or somewhere in the 1940's, due to the large size and shape. (I put my hands in the photo to give you a size reference.) I also ASSUME it is for a GMC vehicle, for obvious reasons. But a Google search of the number yielded nothing, and I can find no lamps like this in photos of GMC vehicles (so far). It looks like it would take a lens of about 4.25 inches. Overall length is nearly 8 inches. Any ideas? 

Tail lamp GMC 4.jpg

Tail lamp GMC 5.jpg

Tail lamp GMC 3.jpg

Tail lamp GMC 1.jpg

Tail lamp GMC 2.jpg

Tail lamp GMC 6.jpg

I really appreciate all of you whom have been looking at this tail lamp assy. I can see lots of people have viewed. 

Frankly, I didn't suspect it would be this tough. Indeed, when I first saw it, I ASSUMED the "GMC" and raised number on the bottom side of the stand would make for instant ID. Silly me! 

• 5 months later...

Let me bump this back to the top, in case anyone might be able to help me identify this tail lamp assembly. One thing I regret about the photos I took is that they don't adequately show how the pedestal portion of this cast aluminum housing is distinctly offset, making this a left-side lamp, for sure. Any help MUCH appreciated. 

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Looks a lot like the rear lights on 39 Chevy Master

Thanks, 30Dodge. You are right; it looks similar. But I went to the websites of companies who sell 39 Chevy tail lamps, and examined photos. The backsides of 39 Chev tail lamps are concave, with no "pedestal." And, as Al Brass pointed out, they are pressed steel, not cast aluminum like mine. But it was a good clue, and got me on track with another trail...

I am now wondering if it might be for 47 to early 50's GM Suburbans, as another poster suggested before. Does anyone know? 

13 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I'd say 54 or so panel truck

I looked up photos of reproduction tail lamps assemblies for GM panel trucks of that era. They seem to be flush-mounted, with no "pedestal" or "leg" to hold them away from the body. Also, they are stamped steel. Of the examples I've seen in this thread, it seems most like the tail lamps on the 39 Chevy Master and the Graham. So far, anyway. 

Greatly appreciate everyone's input. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...