56 buick AC options

Guest badlld123

Guest badlld123

I am looking at putting AC in my 56 buick special. I guess i would need the controls and the heater box setup for an ac car? What are my options?

Ideally you would need to lift the complete system from a parts car, though the '56 system is much simpler than others to do. You need to get the big stuff, like the compressor, condensor, evaporator, lines, plus the brackets, and pulleys. The under dash control unit is different from non A/C cars, also the blower fan is a bit bigger, though the standard one will work. The rad fan is a five bladed one, instead of four, though I have added an aux. electric one in front of a high density core. The five blade fan doesn't really work that much better, my experience only though. The fuse panel is a bit different, but you can add the circuit that you would need to the regular one. It only takes one extra wire for the clutch. The regulator is supposed to be 40 amp instead of 35, but either adjust it up a bit, or live with the standard one. The generator is the same, and I have thought that the electrical system wasn't really up to the task, if you aren't concerned about originality, you could fit an alternator, or use one of the conversions to improve charging. The other issue is the condition that you might find this stuff in, and what it would cost to get it working. The clutch has nearly impossible to find bearing, that is a very unique size, and nothing else will fit, without some kind of modification. There are places that can "rebuild" the original A5 compressor by putting a modern one in the old case. Also, the newer A6 compressor has the same fittings, but requires different mounting, as it is a different shape. Then there's what kind of refrigerant to use.

I may have forgot something, but I think that that's about it. Lots of stuff to do, but once up and working, it works well.

Keith

2 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

For an original look, you also need to swap the dash cover...

I knew I was forgetting something! If one can get the centre vent for the upper dash panel, and your panel is still in good condition, you can cut an opening for it. There is also a short connecting piece that goes from the distribution tree in the middle, behind the radio to the vent. That centre distribution tree is also good to get, though the original could be modfied if needed. That connecting piece makes getting the radio (the stock one, that is) a real pita, as it blocks the radio from coming back far enough to clear the tuning and volume stems.

This all is presuming a stock, or nearly stock A/C system, of course.

Keith

I have a 56 Century parts car with most of what they mentioned above (so will work in your Special). I sold the generator,  compressor and a couple of the lines to someone here several years ago but have the rest. The car did not have power steering so do not have the 3 groove pulleys you will need if your Special has PS.  The rest of it is pretty much there though, let me know if interested. 

As a side note, I thought the generator had a double pulley and higher amp output but will defer to Keith on that. I also seem to recall there being some difference in the vent valves ?...my mind is sort of fuzzy on what that was though, maybe it is in the center outlet Keith mentioned.

The manual says the generator is a 55 amp with A/C vs 35 amp regular.  The vent difference is the right side is eliminated due to use for the A/C, possibly the recirculation air supply, but I'll also defer to Keith, with is factory A/C Roadmaster.

One other thing.  According to the manual the A/C unit was factory supplied in one piece, and dealer installed. Factory supplied fully charged with R-12.  Naturally that did not include the underdash pieces, but everything under the hood was installed as one operation. This means it canal be removed as one unit,  and refurbished on your workbench, Then moved to another vehicle. Just be sure to grab any, and all brackets supports etc that are in your parts car.

• Like 1

According to my info, the stock generator is 30 amp, and the A/C version is 35, and mine does have trouble keeping the voltage high enough for nice fan speed when its' been on for a couple of hours on the highway. The correct generator pulley is smaller, and has a double groove for the two belts that drive the compressor. The smaller dia pulley of course makes the generator run faster, and it gets up to full output at a lower engine speed. I think that the generator is the same, but the regulator is set for the higher rate. Mine being the heavier Roadmaster will tax the cooling system more than a Special.

About the vent, the right (pass) side floor is eliminated with A/C, John is right that it is where the evaporator inlet resides. The left side vent remains unchanged.

Keith

• Like 1

Guest badlld123
On 6/25/2016 at 10:50 PM, MrEarl said:

I have a 56 Century parts car with most of what they mentioned above (so will work in your Special). I sold the generator,  compressor and a couple of the lines to someone here several years ago but have the rest. The car did not have power steering so do not have the 3 groove pulleys you will need if your Special has PS.  The rest of it is pretty much there though, let me know if interested. 

As a side note, I thought the generator had a double pulley and higher amp output but will defer to Keith on that. I also seem to recall there being some difference in the vent valves ?...my mind is sort of fuzzy on what that was though, maybe it is in the center outlet Keith mentioned.

Well my car has a 350 in it so I can use anewer compressor and so on. You have the heater box and controls etc? 

Guest badlld123
On 6/25/2016 at 4:39 PM, JohnD1956 said:

What is your overall hobby slant, original or modified?

It has a 350 in it so I am not opposed to modifications. I was just hoping to use the stock setup on the interior.

I'm sure anything can be done if you throw enough thought and $$ at it.  Luckilly the dash already has end vents which could be hooked up to anything.  That just leaves a center vent.  Since you are not opposed to modifications it would be really neat to go with a vintage air system, and replace the ash trays with another set of the end vents.  That would give you 4 outlets and a modern efficient unit to work with. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the control unit would work on a modern under hood system, as it is all mechanical, cables and such. Though as John said, anything can be done with some ingenuity and money.

The centre outlet is the only difference in venting inside the car and is on the top of the dash panel. That is the give away when looking at '56's, only factory A/C cars have it.

The way works is when you push the control lever to engage A/C it mechanically closes the defrost, turns on the clutch, and opens an internal valve in the the centre distribution "tree" so that the (hopefully) cooled air is directed out of the two vents on each side of the dash, (same as for heated air) and out of the top vent. So, if you can get all of the in car pieces, then hook up the under hood parts with what ever you prefer, you could have a modern system that still looks stock on the inside of the car.

I have driven my car extensively, and the venting seems to work well, but the two speed fan is really not the best. It really could do with an intermediate speed or two.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest badlld123

I have another question for you guys. Are the 55 and the 56 the same bodies? Can i use a 55 rear quarter/fender on a 56?