The guy that has this thinks its a Chrysler

JACK M

14 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

.The body seems to have  rear doors monted in front?

No, not exactly...   This was a 4 door sedan body shell, and they cut the middle out in the front door area, and moved the back half forward.  That made the rear door butting up to the A pillar. 

Look at the main body sill; you can see the welded splice at the bottom of the A pillar....look at the color change at that spliced sill; yellow front, and bare steel color on the back half.

50 minutes ago, F&J said:

No, not exactly...   This was a 4 door sedan body shell, and they cut the middle out in the front door area, and moved the back half forward.  That made the rear door butting up to the A pillar. 

Look at the main body sill; you can see the welded splice at the bottom of the A pillar....look at the color change at that spliced sill; yellow front, and bare steel color on the back half.

Yes. Looking more closely at the back of the body, I see what you mean. I see now that it shows a rear door.

40 minutes ago, Davenport said:

The cowl looks similar to a 31 Desoto.

Yes and a Plymouth looks the same. The dashboard is 1930 Chrysler, so I imagine the rest of it cowl and body are, too. The DeSoto has upper cowl vents, I believe.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This one has no cowl vents.

I think they welded the center pillar to the cowl so the door can latch. They do latch and open with the outside handles.

This thing may have a Hemi in its future. The owner is one of those SBC fits all guys. I am going to try and educate him a bit.

We are also not to sure about the chassis, the control arms look like MII, but I don't recognize the R&P right off hand.

It also has a nine inch welded solid to a rear cross member. I might have to go take some more pictures but the suspension isn't much.

Thanks for the comments.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:14 PM, JACK M said:

This one has no cowl vents.

I think they welded the center pillar to the cowl so the door can latch. They do latch and open with the outside handles.

I copied and made red marks on one pic. 

I don't think the B pillar was welded to the A pillar, because:

The red arrow points to what seems to be the original oval hole in the A pillar, for the "door check strap".  The B, "or center post" would not have that..

The red circle is what I believe, is the door dovetail wedge still attached to the former rear door,  If so, that wedge needs to be closer to the mating door pillar, and have the male dovetail inset in the post.

Last thing that says the A pillar is original, is the very wide gap between the door and the kick panel (at the A pillar)   .  That should be a very narrow gap that would be hidden by the upholstery "windlace" beading.   That gap would not be like that if they grafted on the center pillar.

The thing I cannot see, is any signs of the spot where the original front lower door hinge was?

door.jpg

16 hours ago, F&J said:

I copied and made red marks on one pic. 

I don't think the B pillar was welded to the A pillar, because:

The red arrow points to what seems to be the original oval hole in the A pillar, for the "door check strap".  The B, "or center post" would not have that..

The red circle is what I believe, is the door dovetail wedge still attached to the former rear door,  If so, that wedge needs to be closer to the mating door pillar, and have the male dovetail inset in the post.

Last thing that says the A pillar is original, is the very wide gap between the door and the kick panel (at the A pillar)   .  That should be a very narrow gap that would be hidden by the upholstery "windlace" beading.   That gap would not be like that if they grafted on the center pillar.

The thing I cannot see, is any signs of the spot where the original front lower door hinge was?

door.jpg

I am going to get back over there and take a couple more pictures of that area.

I also want to try and figure if it is on its original chassis.

I guess we agree that it is a 30 Chrysler.

This should be interesting to see what they did with the wheelbase, now that roughly 30" is missing in the area of firewall-to-rear fender wheel center.

I doubt they would have shortened a typical 110" to 115" WB frame down to 80" to 85" to make up for the "30 inches too short" body?

I'm not sure of what styles the Chrysler line share but, That windshield visor looks exactly like a 31 Desoto visor as does the cowl. The firewall is different than a 31 Desoto. Also, The belt line  on the door looks like 31 Desoto.  Even the dash is similar but, I'm not positive. Like it was mentioned above, The mopars share some features.

Edt: I now see 31 Plymouths have the same visor design and belt line. 

Edited by Davenport (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, oily rag said:

Strip the paint off the FEDCO plate in thr middle of the dash and it will tell the make (Chrysler) and Mode.l

I will say it once again....it is a 1930 Chrysler (unless someone put a 1930 Chrysler dashboard in something else).

Keiser, 

I agree. The Chrysler logo on the Fedco plate is evident through the paint layers. Stripping the paint would reveal the year also. Do you ever get the feeling that you are typing information for the blind or reading challenged?  Note: that is sarcasm for those that may take offense...... By the way, I haven't seen Keiser wrong very often, especially on Chrysler products!

Upon further inspection I now see that he A pillar is still in place as I can see that the three hinges have been cut off.

I also think that the front suspension must be of very early Pinto. Note the R&P is not MII, but the control arms and cross member seem to be very similar.

I think I may have run into this before, (early Pinto).

The rear is a four bar set up that apparently was never finished.

The guy then says, "Oh, it came with another dash" I thought maybe it would be Buick like the fenders. But It is Chrysler and would fit the car.

Here are a bunch of pictures that I took last night.

017.JPG

016.JPG

015.JPG

014.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

011.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

It's been a few decades since I had Mopars apart of that age, but some of the frame details seem to ring a bell.....but I can't say for sure.

Good grief, the hood would need to be 6 or 7 feet long now!  I don't know what they envisioned, but with the shorty body that mimics an early American Austin, but with a engine bay longer than a 540K ?  ...and the door (wheel) cutout just is not helping the overall looks.

The rear crossmember over the differential is Model A Ford, or T.   Can't see the rear end, but the shape of the center is like a Ford 8" ? 

That Fedco tag sure is in perfect shape

The front end is Pinto/M2 and I think the rack is correct from memory.  At any rate the rack inner pivot points for the tie rods DO seem to be in the right location for that front end, so it won't "bump steer".  An imaginary line drawn through the inner upper and lower A arm pivots, should intersect that inner flex pivot on the rack....which it seems to do.

9 minutes ago, F&J said:

It's been a few decades since I had Mopars apart of that age, but some of the frame details seem to ring a bell.....but I can't say for sure.

Boy, am I overtired.... LOL

The frame brackets looked familiar because I had a Model A here about a year ago..  It is a Model A Ford frame.

If that FEDCO plate says,

"CW630D, then it is a 1927 Model 72 Chrysler dashboard.

"DW6" would be a 1929 Model 65.

"EW6" would be a 1926 Imperial 80.

"FW6" would be a 1926 Model 50.

"HW6" would be a 1927 Model 52.

"LW6" would be a 1927 Model 62.

"PW6" would be a 1926 Model 70.

"SW6" would be a 1927 Model 60.

"WW6" would be a 1925 Model 58.

"ZW6" would be a 1929 Model 75.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for that John, I don't think the guy cares what the second dash is, but I found it interesting and I guess he will like to know what it is that hangs on his shop wall.

The FEDCO plate is about perfect. Its brass I think and the dash itself is nice patina.

I will pass all of this to the owner, I don't think he will be all excited to find out that he has a Model A chassis but it is what it is.