Stainless vs ceramic coated aluminum exhaust ???

kreed

Restoring a 72 Riviera  in a total frame off nuts and bolts and getting conflicting stories  on what is best for my new exhaust system . My restoration guy says stainless and the muffler shop says aluminized which is then ceramic coated . Have been explained pros and cons of both, particularly cost which is twice as much for  stainless . Wondering if anyone else has one advice/ experience  for me . Planning on using Magnaflow Super  44 for mufflers  - any thoughts here either ? Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Well, I was told by someone I trust that stainless sounds a bit ping-ee (sounds odd), and that because it is hard to form, ends up not being bent/fit correctly. Certainly the stainless does not rust, but perhaps not worth it.

They can make stainless with thinner wall material and therefore it's lighter. Whether they actually do or not I guess is up to the manufacturer. To me it comes down to cost, how long you want it to last and appearance. I used to mess around with a lot of Jap turbos and no one would ever buy an aftermarket exhaust for one of those in anything but stainless. 

I had stainless on my '68 Biscayne.  Stainless is harder to work and bend, but it can be made properly.  It fit well and I didn't notice any noise differences.  Note that there are different stainless alloys.  To paint with a broad brush on alloys that are used in exhaust most often, 300 series (with 304 being most commonly used) is non-magnetic and will not rust.  400 series (with 409 being most common) will take a magnet, rusts, but takes much longer to rust than regular steel.

I had jet-hot coated exhaust on my '66 C10.  It rusted in some locations.  I had aluminized on a '69 Chevelle.  It helped for a while but then rusted.  To be fair, I was driving these in the winter in the northeast.  

I've never heard of aluminized and then ceramic coated.  Usually you have to clean the steel well (media blast) prior to ceramic coat.

Given all the options, I like 300-series the best, followed by 400-series.

Edited by RoadShark (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RoadShark said:

I've never heard of aluminized and then ceramic coated.  Usually you have to clean the steel well (media blast) prior to ceramic coat.

I haven't heard of this either and even if they did coat it, it would have to be as much or more expensive than stainless. Are you 100% sure they are ceramic coating it? Last price I got to coat a pair of exhaust manifolds it was $200. 

A regular aluminized system will last and stay nice for many years if car is only occasionally driven in nice weather. Its all how particular you are over the long haul like 10 years and beyond. If you have the money and never want appearance to be a concern, just go with stainless. 

Thanks for comments - I am doing a very mild restomod on this car so not worried about the system being stock- just want something that will last and looks good . My muffler guy said the same thing mentioned about the "ping ee" sound . I had never heard of the ceramic coated aluminized pipes until now either but apparently it not only looks good and comes in a variety of finishes but also is better at keeping the heat inside the exhaust and thereby  increases performance of the engine and is cooler in the cabin?? ... My exhaiust manifolds have been ceramic coated already and I do like the look on them. My muffler guy says the stainless would be about $2500 and the ceramic coated about $1400 . Plan on using 2 1/2 inches pipes either way than are mandrel bent instead of pressure bent. Will post some pictures later this Summer of the entire project ( if I can figure out how to do it in this site ) . Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

That will be an impressive exhaust system regardless what route you take. I would think the ceramic coating "if done properly" would be a nice option. You might want to get references from someone who has had the coated pipes for awhile since its rather uncommon. A friend puts stainless on all his Rivs. He says he can't hear a difference. Maybe he is hard of hearing, or maybe there isn't any. 

One thing about stainless, longevity will not be dependent on a secondary process which ads and opportunity for failure.

19 hours ago, kreed said:

Restoring a 72 Riviera  in a total frame off nuts and bolts and getting conflicting stories  on what is best for my new exhaust system . My restoration guy says stainless and the muffler shop says aluminized which is then ceramic coated . Have been explained pros and cons of both, particularly cost which is twice as much for  stainless . Wondering if anyone else has one advice/ experience  for me . Planning on using Magnaflow Super  44 for mufflers  - any thoughts here either ? Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Many years ago I put SS from the engine back to the mufflers. worst decision I ever made, SS is more nosy. Shop had trouble getting it to seal tight at the mufflers.  When the mufflers rusted out, I put aluminized on that came with a life time warranty. Everything still looks new.  Aluminized will be a lost less than SS. Can't help you on the Magnaflow Super 44 mufflers.

Unless you are planning on taking your car to the Buick Club of America national meet where they do the 400 point judging or to an AACA judged meet, I would not bother agonizing over if it is or not factory original.

Bob Bonto