Fuel injection in first-gen Riv

bodayguy

Anyone install the Edelbrock EFI system in their car? I converted my Jeep to fuel injection a couple years ago and it was a wonderful choice.

My Riv has the original engine and all, but I'd certainly consider spending the $$ for EFI at some point.

• Like 1

I may go this route at some point also. The biggest issue I see is the lack of available fuel tank options because the in line fuel pumps are loud and generally just suck compared to an in tank setup. I know that edelbrock supposedly now has an in tank sump setup that is supposed to work in the riviera tank but I don't know what's involved with it or if anyone has gotten the setup to work. Most people seem to like the edelbrock estreet,fast, and msd atomic setups. I like that you can keep everything looking pretty stock with these setups but still have the drivabilit of efi and a closed fuel system that doesn't smell the garage up constantly.

Normally I would just drop an ls or ly6 in there, but imo the first gens just have to have a nailhead in there, as nice as an ls motor would be.

Definitely interested to hear if anyone has gotten any of these setups to work in the first Gen with minimal pain.

• Like 2

The aeromotive stealth works at any tank depth, If that is what your asking.  That being said,  I don't know where the fuel sender is located.  If anywhere but the top, it won't work.

Plus you would have to either cut an lower the area on top where you install it.  Or bump out the trunk for more room

Edited by rapom (see edit history)

You can fit a 77-96 B-body tank if you do some work to the tank to mash the front corners a tad (I notched the frame but I wouldn't do that again).  However Holley's Hydramat looks like the ultimate answer to fitting an intank pump in the stock tank without going through the trouble of baffling the tank or using something like the Aeromotive Sealth system with it's larger hole. 

• Like 1

That hydramat looks like a great idea and I love that it mounts to the bottom the tank using magnets. I would be worried the holes in the matt would clog over time though. Great to know that is an option and also good to know about the b body tank. How much "mashing" of the front tank corners is required to get it to fit and then does the filler neck have to be cut and welded to size, or it fits as is"

The front corners need to be "mashed" by ~1/2-3/4in.  The tank is plastic which makes mashing it a bit more fun but it should be doable with a heat gun (after purging the tank with vehicle exhaust).

The filler neck isn't anywhere close to a bolt on but since the tank is plastic it's a separate piece anyway.  Mine is done with a cut down B-body neck and a 90º fuel hose off of a 73-87 C/K truck turning the corner.  Not perfect as it makes putting the nozzle in a bit hard and I've not tried it in California yet but it is doable.  I'll spend so more time on engineering a solution sometime soon.

• Like 1