Classic Car Finds Club

Guest Jacob

I was looking at other posts where someone was asking about car salvage yards and I was curious as to whether a forum thread talking about different barn finds/car lot finds would be very enjoyable. Basically when you find old cars in barns or car lots and you strike a good deal, show us some pictures! (And no, you don't have to own it. Just show us stuff you find!)

The other half to this is that whenever you're driving around town and you spot a nice car, share a picture! Show us car lot finds, cars you find sitting, or even a barn find! What cars you find don't really matter as long as they're classic :). I personally find quite a few Beetles and I actually found a Squareback sitting yesterday, which is quite awesome.

Feedback on this idea would be quite awesome. If you like the idea, post some pictures of some stuff you find!

When you post the pictures, tell us where you found the cars. Did you find it in a car lot, just sitting in someone's driveway, something driving around with it, or in a barn? Doesn't matter the condition. I especially enjoy finding old cars sitting under a tree in a field as you can strike a good deal generally.

(Oh yeah. Update on the Beetle I mentioned getting before. Friend of ours is selling me his which needs to be put together and needs minor body work but he's selling every single part but the engine for $500. Quite awesome! Should I do post a restoration log when I start restoring it? It's a '71 Standard.)

Good topic!  On this forum several years ago,

someone mentioned a rare Mohs Safarikar

he spotted, just as you describe.

Another AACA member ended up buying the Mohs

based on that posting.  It's now totally restored

and has been seen at AACA national events.

So let's see everyone's finds!

Now I'm excited :D.

Guest AlCapone

^^^^^^^ Make sure to mention the exact location of anything you find so that I can buy it and resell it at twice the price.^^^^^^

You'll never beat John S in Penna and Auburnseeker to it ( they never sleep )!

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

One time around 1990, I was looking for a garage

to rent.  I answered a classified ad in the local paper

and went to see the garage in my small home town.

In an old neighborhood of wood-framed middle-class

houses built 1890-1910 was a bank of garages,

located back behind one house.  I opened the

overhead garage door partially, enough to let light filter in.

"An old car!" I exclaimed to myself as the light 

was strewn across the garage floor, revealing the car

in semi-darkness from the tires up.

It was a 1950's Chrysler product.  Then I saw the

cloisonne crowns on the hubcaps.  "An Imperial,"

I exclaimed further.  As my eyes adjusted to the dim light,

I could see that it was a convertible.  Yes, an unrestored

1951 Chrysler Imperial convertible, one of only 650 made.

The car was restorable, but it was in #5 condition and

probably needing everything.  The lower parts of the

sheet metal were jagged, eaten away by northern rust.

I never did find out what ever happened to that car---

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I found all of Tom Cotter's books on 'barn finds' are excellent reads so far: 'Hemi in the Barn', 'Cobra in the Barn', 'Corvette in the Barn', '50 Shades of Rust', etc.

Craig

I ought to check that out some time.

John_S_in_PA,

If you like Chrysler Imperials, you may appreciate this ad from: www.mtautofinder.com 8/2/15, page 15.

"1958 Chrysler Imperial with a 392 Hemi. Modified into a 4 door convertible. Additional parts & a parts car are included $8,900. (406)227-6047 E. Helena, MT". I haven't seen it and don't know the owners. No photos, of course, so we don't know if this is a driveable dream or a rolling wreck. "Modified", past tense, suggests done more than half-done, but who knows. 

Maybe it's in great shape and you'll want to buy it. If you pay for gas, 6 meals at McDonald's, and a return Amtrak ticket for me, I could drive it to Hershey for you. I think 2,000 miles at 6 mpg would only be $1,165 in fuel if I drove it at 55! 

I live 5 miles from an old-time antique car salvage yard and occasionally see nice things there. There's a 1920s Packard Single Six engine for $1,200, which would be nice to have, but I don't know where I'd find the rest of the car to go with it.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

John_S_in_PA,

If you like Chrysler Imperials, you may appreciate... 

"1958 Chrysler Imperial with a 392 Hemi. Modified into a 4 door convertible....

Jeff, thank you very much for the suggestion.

However, I prefer authentic cars.  If it was a

beautiful 4-door hardtop or 2-door hardtop,

and the price was fair, I might be calling---

And just for accuracy's sake, my 1961 Imperial

gets around 12 miles per gallon on the highway, 

not six!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Well when you own the barn they are found it,  it really makes it easy.  I did buy this out of a farm yard in about 2003, sold it to a friend a few months later (I actually used the money for the closing costs on my house to buy it while the realtor and lawyers were taking their sweet time to figure things out and it's been in the barn I bought until a few weeks ago.  It's for sale now (he's asking 7500 with a bunch of odds and ends extra parts , some NOS).  I finally convinced my friend to part with it, instead of let it die a slow death. 

post-86835-0-09667900-1441320710_thumb.jpost-86835-0-60088100-1441320718_thumb.jpost-86835-0-13919600-1441320728_thumb.jpost-86835-0-53280100-1441320738_thumb.j

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Just as an update on the Beetle I mentioned I'm buying without an engine. My grandpa just said he'd give me his 150HP classic racing Beetle engine o.o. I was excited before..but now..holy crap. It needs rebuilt completely (Yes, I've seen it before.) but dang I'm excited. Looks like I have everything I need..

Edited by Jacob (see edit history)

Best find, 1955 Corvette motorama car.  It is Ex129 and an experimental car from Chevy.  How I found it, I had been good to two guys out in Oregon, one was 85 the other 89.  After 4 years of just being nice, talking to them and them knowing how I love cars, I was able to get it.  God has a funny way of helping when you get down on the hobby.  I almost got out of this hobby when a corvette guy stole $155,000 from me and then 2 years later this car I get to be the care taker of.  Things have a funny way of working out.

post-139649-0-96857400-1441989948_thumb.

Best find, 1955 Corvette motorama car.  It is Ex129 and an experimental car from Chevy.  How I found it, I had been good to two guys out in Oregon, one was 85 the other 89.  After 4 years of just being nice, talking to them and them knowing how I love cars, I was able to get it.  God has a funny way of helping when you get down on the hobby.  I almost got out of this hobby when a corvette guy stole $155,000 from me and then 2 years later this car I get to be the care taker of.  Things have a funny way of working out.

Do you have any current photos of the Vette.  It would be neat to see it's current state.