need to shorten fuel line?

You don't want to use a compression fitting. Flare it.

The line from the tank to the pump is a SUCTION line.  A compression fitting will be more than adequate.  Chewing gum is nearly adequate for the miniscule vacuum pressure.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Compression fitting will work,  or just cut it off and stick the rubber hose over the end. I like to bulge the end a little with a flaring tool but this is optional.

If you must end with a compression fitting, cut the excess off and flare the end. It only takes a few minutes and makes a neater job.

Compression fitting will work,  or just cut it off and stick the rubber hose over the end. I like to bulge the end a little with a flaring tool but this is optional.

If you must end with a compression fitting, cut the excess off and flare the end. It only takes a few minutes and makes a neater job.

I plan to use the existing end of the steel copper plated tube in service now. I just want to shorten the steel copper plated 1/4 in tube

and join the cut end with a compression fitting like this one...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=61788&gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_gYq84M6X5w68qKEj-6BBI9Z3d3xioFlQCUJ7Lmh7JMxoCgobw_wcB

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)

I plan to use the existing end of the steel copper plated tube in service now. I just want to shorten the steel copper plated 1/4 in tube

and join the cut end with a compression fitting like this one...

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=61788&gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_gYq84M6X5w68qKEj-6BBI9Z3d3xioFlQCUJ7Lmh7JMxoCgobw_wcB

That will be fine.  You can get those at any auto parts store.

Guest AlCapone

I agree with Rusty. This is not rocket science! Wayne

Seems that under more study I realized that the existing fuel line is lacking the  air tube that is needed for my fuel gauge to operate

This dual steel copper plated hose is expensive $250.00! but it is needed for the fuel gauge to operate, unless I can run a separate air hose and attach it to the fuel hose.  I have to, if I want the original fuel gauge to woik! Son of a gun.

The things ya gotta know!

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)

Guest Ben Marc
I plan to utilize the current end of the steel copper plated tube in administration now. I simply need to abbreviate the steel copper plated 1/4 in tube 

also, join the cut end with a pressure fitting like this one...

Ben Marc | car transporters

If the line is coming from the tank to the fuel pump and the pump is a mechanical one mounted on the engine you might want to put in a section of flexible line (rubber fuel hose). a hard tube connection isn't a good way to go.

Then I would cut the line to length and put a bubble on the end by doing the first step of a double flare. Put a pipe to hose adapter on the pump and use Corbin clamps to hold the line on.

Yes, compression fittings are OK for low pressure.  However, they can start leaking under vibration.  No car manufacturer has used compression fittings for critical things like fuel and brake lines.  Stick with flare fittings for safety.