Fawcett Motors, Canada

scott12180

Has anyone ever bought a car from Fawcett Motors near Toronto, Canada? 

Just wondering about your experience with them and the car. 

Or do you know anything about them, their reputation, etc.

Also, wondering about the logistics of buying in Canada from a dealer and transporting it to the States. Never done that before.

Send private message if you'd prefer.

--Scott

I've known 'about' them since the early 1970's and have never heard a bad thing about them. I believe that Ron's son and a business partner run it now. Ron was a Pierce-Arrow guru but had a host of interesting cars.

Phil

Years ago Ron Fawcett bought a car from me that I had consigned to a antique car auction in Pennsylvania. When the auction was over and settling up was being transacted, he refused to pay me in American dollars, but he had made his bid with American dollars. With the auction over, the circumstances forced me to accept the Canadian money and thus created a sizable loss of the bid price when the bank converted  the Canadian money to American. I encountered him many times thru the years and we spoke but I did not do anymore business with him and steered all friends away from him. --Bob

My dad sold his 31 Chrysler CD8 2nd series deluxe roadster to Fawcett Carriage Works around 1970-71. They saw they car at Harrah's Swap Meet and Car Show and told my dad they wanted to buy it for their museum. My dad gave them what he thought was a ridiculous price as he didn't want to sell the Chrysler. Soon after they brought an enclosed trailer to California and laid a pile of cash on the kitchen table, as I recall it was either 12 or 14 thousand. As a 16 year old kid I was pretty impressed, but my dad always regretted selling the car. 

Ron has been dead for many years but he sold the business about 20 years ago to Art Carty and his son Peter Fawcett. I would not have a problem buying or selling from them. My 1930 Cadillac coupe was ran into the back end three years ago and they did a phenomenal job on it. If you need a fender they can make it for you. I was in there on Friday just to look around and you always feel welcome there with a friendly hello. They are also great supporters of the local car clubs and Peter will also open the business or  large private collection of brass cars from Stanley's to Pierces for club members view on a weekend. They are also very active members of AACA, Model T, ACCCC and HCCI. Peter is hosting an HCCI weekend tour this weekend actually. I have been on tour with them and if a car breaks down I have seen Peter fix it and no charge. Never heard a sour business deal that involved them. They are great people to deal. I live about 25 miles from them.

Buy the way your dollar is worth 20% more and that is why you see all the used Chevy pickups being shipped to the US. from Canada by the dealerships.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)