63 RIVIERA FUEL FILTER

Guest allamerican6

Guest allamerican6

WHY DOES THE FUEL FILTER ON A 63 RIVIERA WITH AIR HAVE AN INLET AND TWO OUTLETS, WHILE THE FUEL FILTER FOR A RIVIERA WITHOUT AIR DOES NOT?

Ed is correct. The second, smaller, outlet gives a place for fuel vapor to go back toward the tank if your fuel boils, instead of going into your carb. You want liquid fuel in your carb. There is actually has a little restriction down inside the nipple, if you look. It does not let much liquid fuel through (but some). Any vapor that goes down that return line condenses back to liquid before getting to the tank.

My experience with this return line is that it is sometimes a source of problems. If your engine seems like it is not getting enough fuel, temporarily block off the return line and see if it gets better. If it does, you can run without the return line.

However, with all the ethanol in today's gas, fuel boiling is a bigger problem today than it was in '63. If you run in very hot weather with the A/C on, so you get high temperatures under the hood, you are going to want that return line.

Part numbers for fuel filter for cars with A/C:

Wix 33040

Hastings GF19

NAPA 3040

You can cross-reference from these to others if you need to. I like Wix. Hope that helps.

Jim

PS - I would appreciate a close up photo of your "data plate" above the power brake booster, to add to my '63 Riv database. E-mail to e-mail address in my profile. Thanks.

:)

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Once I found the part number on the Wix site, I put the part number in Google and searched.  This is a partial listing from the first page on Google.

Summit Racing

eBay

Autoparts&stuff

Amazon

O"Reilly's

NAPA

Rock Auto.

Here's the complete link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wix+33040&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US752&oq=wix+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j0l3.3127j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Don't know from where you guys are getting your info but you need to dig deeper. :D

Ed

31 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Aa HA!!

Thanks Ed.  My parts guys have been very good in the past on this kind of stuff, but not so much this time. 

Trust yourself, not the kid at the counter.  Probably not his fault either, it's the guy who programmed the computer.  And every knows that most parts guys without their computers are nothing.

18 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Trust yourself, not the kid at the counter.  Probably not his fault either, it's the guy who programmed the computer.  And every knows that most parts guys without their computers are nothing.

Things have changed in 30 years. I remember working in a jobber store with four big catalog racks, and writing what you wanted to order down on a pad on the counter. When I got into a dealership almost 25 years ago (crap, can't believe it's been that long), we were using microfiche to look up parts. WONDERFUL on your eyes, lol.

And when we went to microfiche we were also issued teeny weeny little pens to write in to the blank columns all those good to know details that you document as you go. Lots of my hard copy parts books had all the useful information written in which made it easier to interpret the correct part.

I remember in the early  introduction of microfiche, one model Chysler Lancer  (later the Mitsubishi Lancer) listed two different chromed headlamp.

They used the engine number as the change point. Up to engine number 123456 use part number abc and from engine number  123457 use part number xyz.

When you compared the two surrounds, one was metal and the other was plastic. Try writing that on your microfiche. My reader had lots of white out on the screen too!

Rodney

Just my two bobs worth ??

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

And when we went to microfiche we were also issued teeny weeny little pens to write in to the blank columns all those good to know details that you document as you go. Lots of my hard copy parts books had all the useful information written in which made it easier to interpret the correct part.

I remember in the early  introduction of microfiche, one model Chysler Lancer  (later the Mitsubishi Lancer) listed two different chromed headlamp.

They used the engine number as the change point. Up to engine number 123456 use part number abc and from engine number  123457 use part number xyz.

When you compared the two surrounds, one was metal and the other was plastic. Try writing that on your microfiche. My reader had lots of white out on the screen too!

Rodney

Just my two bobs worth ??

Parts business has just gotten tougher. So much crap on today's cars. Nothing is available separate anymore; it's all assemblies.