How I installed turn signals in my 24 touring

Guest Dave24

post-88201-14313928048_thumb.jpg I know there are several products and ways to to this but I wanted to share my experience. Since the car came with a brake light on the left side only, I found another left bracket and light on ebay. By appling a generous amount of heat and bending and twisting I managed to make a matching right bracket out of the left one. I purchased armored wiring to make it match the one on the left. Since the light is both a brake and tail light, It required 2 seperate armored wires to each unit. I then installed double element bulbs in the cowl lights. The bright element will be the turn signal light, so the cowl lights required 2 wires per light also. I bought the turn signal brain box from a company called Tickin Through Time. This can be found at www.ronsmachineshop.net . I was smart enough to see that I needed a 12v unit but I was not smart enough to realize that the car is a positive ground. The company allowed me to send the unit back and they converted it to pos ground and sent it back. I am very happy with the results. I enclosed a rear pic of the car and an interior shot of where I put the small toggle switch down on the steering column under the support bracket.

post-88201-143139280486_thumb.jpg

DORSET AUSTIN SEVEN CLUB Go to technical pages and click on relevant topic. (I was unable to link it up directly - perhaps someone knows how to do it.?)

Here is a wiring diagram (O.K. I know it's Austin Seven but it should still work) for anyone wishing to do their own conversion of brake lights to also work as indicators. Diagram No, 2 is what I wanted to highlight. Note: you will need 2 relays and 2 flasher units. The scuttle lights can convert to front indicators with parking lights fitted in the headlamps if you wish.

Dave 24, you look as if you mean business!!

I like the way your spare tire cover matches the top. That's neat!

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

Just a reply to "Dave 24" regards bending taillight stalk for RHS. For any others that may want to add a 2nd taillight, I added  a 2nd to my 1930 DC Dodge here in Australia, by getting an American stalk which is bent the other way to the Aus one, problem solved . You guys in the US  would need an Aussie stalk. Maybe we can send some Dodge steel back your way

Kevin BC

9 hours ago, Kevin bc said:

Just a reply to "Dave 24" regards bending taillight stalk for RHS. For any others that may want to add a 2nd taillight, I added  a 2nd to my 1930 DC Dodge here in Australia, by getting an American stalk which is bent the other way to the Aus one, problem solved . You guys in the US  would need an Aussie stalk. Maybe we can send some Dodge steel back your way

Kevin BC

I added a left side tail and brake light to my '26 touring.  The car was imported from Australia and had just the right side tail light.  I have (subsequently) added separate indicators as incorporating them into the brake light circuit may be illegal here, and further, I think motorists today are looking for amber turn signals.  A red flashing brake light might just confuse the average driver.

P1290019.JPG

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Also, if you add a simple on/off switch (a pull out switch would be ideal) across the left/right turn signal switch, this would act as an emergency flashing circuit. But you must have the turn signal switch on at the same time.

garys_flashers.thumb.jpg.8216dd039535fa275a13df660d1b9f46.jpg