Dave Gelinas (XP-300)

I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

On 8/1/2017 at 9:18 AM, Larry Schramm said:

I wonder if the building is still there?

The building still there. This is a recent picture that I requested from someone that visited my hometown unfortunately no more car dealership

4C7571E6-5238-45C9-92DC-7715AB2DA0AF.jpeg

On 8/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, Elpad said:

1953 photo of Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealership in Santa Clara, Cuba formerly a Buick distributor. There is a Buick in the background. Photo courtesy of Mr. Tom Gibson. Love the Art Deco style building.

IMG_2623.JPG

Then & now... no cars though

2527BCB5-A8C1-4615-98D2-C74F48F1A3DF.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GARY F said:

I miss those old motels where you just pull up in front of your door.

Yes... and no.

Last one I vividly remember was in St Augustine, Florida.

After a long day and coming into the edge of this City my wife and I were tired and drove in late in the night at one of those places to book a room.

Being on the strip so to speak (Old US 1) it was lit up in that late 60's style Xmas lights but looked fine (in the dark). This taller than me guy with glasses on the end of his nose behind the counter looked at us as we came in the door and said in this slow drawl, "Hia, Haw you?"

You know that feeling when you are so tired that anything makes you laugh? Being from the North didn't help either. (Please, No offence meant) 

Got through that and parked in front of our room. As soon as we opened the door you could feel the humidity and smell that somewhat concrete floor musty smell...

This was no Howard Johnson's but after making sure the sheets were clean (and not crawling or worse) we slept till 8 am.

After showering and dressing went out to load the car and...

OMG! A whole other place in the sunlight! :o

I'm 100% positive that place is looong gone by now.

Made sure the rest of the trip to get someplace in the daylight to be sure of things and drove through Florida having a great time! B) 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, GARY F said:

Probably one of the last good ones was the Best Western where we stayed at National Meet in Springfield MO.

13 hours ago, dei said:

Yes... and no.

Last one I vividly remember was in St Augustine, Florida.

After a long day and coming into the edge of this City my wife and I were tired and drove in late in the night at one of those places to book a room.

Being on the strip so to speak (Old US 1) it was lit up in that late 60's style Xmas lights but looked fine (in the dark). This taller than me guy with glasses on the end of his nose behind the counter looked at us as we came in the door and said in this slow drawl, "Hia, Haw you?"

You know that feeling when you are so tired that anything makes you laugh? Being from the North didn't help either. (Please, No offence meant) 

Got through that and parked in front of our room. As soon as we opened the door you could feel the humidity and smell that somewhat concrete floor musty smell...

This was no Howard Johnson's but after making sure the sheets were clean (and not crawling or worse) we slept till 8 am.

After showering and dressing went out to load the car and...

OMG! A whole other place in the sunlight! :o

I'm 100% positive that place is looong gone by now.

Made sure the rest of the trip to get someplace in the daylight to be sure of things and drove through Florida having a great time! B) 

I think we checked in at the same place, but left after noting the posted room rates were by the hour!

• Haha 4

On 5/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, JZRIV said:

$(KGrHqR,!l!E64oy61-gBO4pw5yp2g~~60_3.JPG

552af3d1e121912c_landing.jpg

1939BuickHighwaySign.jpg

Interesting Butlin Buick 

Billy Butlin had a company in Uk big in 50s for holiday camps in Uk , think  he was English and didn’t know about US  business ,wonder if same guy owned the above , the sign is same font for Butlin 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

I think we checked in at the same place, but left after noting the posted room rates were by the hour!

:lol:

Well, it was on our Honeymoon trip....

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2018 at 5:03 PM, GARY F said:

9DECDCC9-5BA3-4411-9597-0136639559D2.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 91vert said:

Anyone seen a car hauler like this one ?

5378136764_55391b0db6_b.jpg

Took a bit to see what I am seeing!  A lot of modifications went into beating the length laws of those days.  Give the man[ men ] an A+

Ben

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Took a bit to see what I am seeing!  A lot of modifications went into beating the length laws of those days.  Give the man[ men ] an A+

Ben

Maybe it was a concept thing?  I don't see any license plates on the front of the truck.  And I don't think radio controls had advanced enough for this to be a practical application.  Must admit,  it was probably a helluv a view!

Seen on wall at local Ingles grocery store last night. 

B83EA197-AEC2-48CA-8EF2-D5A3AB12CF42.jpeg

71F5C029-3863-4E2E-AAD4-19C1BA76DAE3.jpeg

And outside, but missed Fred and Lemont 

835C046D-2149-4C8D-8736-B766E70A787C.jpeg

48B3B393-8754-4BD6-ABCF-1E6A4EB966E5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Maybe it was a concept thing?  I don't see any license plates on the front of the truck.  And I don't think radio controls had advanced enough for this to be a practical application.  Must admit,  it was probably a helluv a view!

A double decker car hauler was driving down a rural two lane one night when his headlights quit working. He crawled up on top and turned on the lights of the front car and proceeded. Within minutes he meets an oncoming car that quickly swerves off the road, down an embankment, flips a couple times and finally comes to rest against an oak tree. He stops his truck, runs down to the wreck to find the drunken driver stumbling out of the car. He asks “Good lord man what happened, why did you run off the the road. The drunk answered “Well, if it wash as wide as it wash tall, I wash gonna get killed anyways”  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My first Buick that I drove to work was a 1956 Special 2 dr sedan . ( 1961 )

It had the stock 322 with added four barrel and 56 dual exhaust manifolds  and switch pitch DYNAFLOW "

The story behind the one  wire wheel is funny ! I work at an ESSO station at nights and Saturday .

A guy pulls in the station in a 58 white LIMITED CONV .

I only had three wire wheels at the time . HE said " WANT TO SELL THOSE WHEELS ?"

I said " NO , I'm looking for another one ".

He opened his trunk and said " I buy your three or you buy my wheel !"

That wheel cost me a full weeks part time pay $ 30.00  but I had my 4th wire !

Bill

IMG_3465.JPG

• Like 7

On 5/14/2018 at 5:03 PM, GARY F said:

D9449CF4-44A1-4676-9160-99BD3C42DC6B.jpeg

• Like 2