• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:45 AM

I know I like watching peoples projects from start to finish. So I am using my personal site Welcome to the Home of Ali'N'I to show off ours. I plan on posting updates of my build in this thread, you can always book mark the page and come back whenever you like to see how we are doing. Each major milestone of the build will get documented. Tonight we cleared the trunk since its easier than the interior ;) which I plan on doing tomorrow.

Here is some pics to keep you interested. Alot more photos are on the site.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by alini, 04 July 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#2 Rob J

Rob J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

I will certainly be following this thread. Love the build threads. Trunk looks nice and solid. Your off to a good start.
ROA Member #13099

Link to Picture Album of Project Rivy 401 http://photobucket.com/65Rivy

1965 Riviera 401, AC, Deluxe Interior (Currently undergoing a frame off nut and bolt restoration)
1987 Buick Grand National (All original, and only 16k miles)

#3 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

So today I gutted the interior (except the dash, console and headliner) and pleasantly surprised at the condition of the floor. I have two small problem areas which I can patch with some sheetmetal.
I have a MIG, so this will be cake. What I am wondering about is the body sealer. Its coming off very easy, is there a product to replace it or is it even needed with todays primers??

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 rsmalling

rsmalling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Nice alini,

the build thread will be fun to watch
Rob Smalling
ROA Member #13589
65 Riviera Gran Sport
Super Wild Cat

#5 Rob J

Rob J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Nice, awesome to find a solid car underneath. How's the condition of the rear window sills? Not sure if you've taken out the back glass yet. That's probably the biggest problem area on these cars. My seam sealer was old and crumbly as well. Clean and remove all the old stuff, and yes, I'd re seam seal all the seams. You want the car to be water tight.
ROA Member #13099

1965 Riviera 401, AC, Deluxe Interior (Currently undergoing a frame off nut and bolt restoration)

#6 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I am removing the window molding this weekend So far I think I will be okay based off these shots. What body sealer did you use??

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 mt65riv

mt65riv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Most any auto paint store will have some choices of seam sealer, I used the one below. It's easy to work with and stays where you put it. There are some tricks to putting it on it you want a more concourse look. I've used rags soaked with lacquer thinner (after it tacks) or paint brushes (right away) to get the wiped-on look of the original.

You need to treat the rust in the seams first, then prime and put on the sealer then paint. I've done this on quite a few cars now with great results.

Attached Thumbnails

• sealer.jpg

Mike

ROA #13251

Current:
1955 Chevy Gasser - The Green Manalishi
1959 GMC 100 LWB
1965 Riviera - 401 base
1965 Riviera - 401 Deluxe int/AC
1965 Riviera - 401 Deluxe - full optioned parts car - stripped & rusty
1994 Impala SS Purchased new - 90k - 12k on T-56 conversion

#8 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

So far, we have removed everything from the front doors back (drivers door still needs to be stripped) I removed the rear window trim and windshield trim and no rust. The passenger door came apart like it was new. The window tracks will need some attention. But all in all the tear down is going along well.

Here is the sand we removed from the bottom of the passenger door. I really think thats what prevented the rust. The sand absorbed any rain water and kept the metal dry.

Posted Image

#9 rsmalling

rsmalling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

Great news on the no rust!
Rob Smalling
ROA Member #13589
65 Riviera Gran Sport
Super Wild Cat

#10 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm trying to stay up beat. I only need to drop the gas tank, disconnect the emergency brake and the accelerator linkage and the body will be ready to be removed. I'm hoping I didnt bite more than I can chew though. While the condition of the car has been good overall, the interior and anything rubber has been useless. All the vacuum lines for the AC were dry, cracked and in most cases disconnected. The jute was dry and loose, so I dont know the real size shape or location for any of it. The rubber seals were none existant or charcoal, so I dont know how it all really fits when I get around to that part of the reassemble. The wiring connectors are all so brittle they have fallen apart, I'll have to put it all back together by color via the wiring diagrams.
Ive done a ton of photos as I have gone (will get the website updated later this week) but with everything as dust coated as it was I dont have detail to really help. Positioning is about all they will help with. I have confident in my skill and I have all the time in the world to put this thing back together. Gonna do small sections at a time and stay focused on the end goal, a restore of a classic.

#11 Rob J

Rob J

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Yes, these cars are more work than your average muscle car restoration. I wouldn't be so concerned as to where the factory jute was, as you should be using newer sound deadening materials when you put the car back together. Common sense should dictate where sound deadening material goes. If you need any help in putting it back together, the car I'm restoring now was unmolested, so I have good documentation as to when I was taking it apart. Good luck, and stay focused. Like you stated, just concentrate on one area at a time. Like for instance, now I'm focusing on the chassis, and am not really even looking at anything related to the body yet.
ROA Member #13099

#12 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I have a pretty organized plan, we're stripping down to the frame. I am cleaning the frame by hand (with tools of course) and will replace suspension pieces as I save up the cash to do the media blast on the body. I plan on getting the media blast, body work and paint done with the body off the frame. The suspension, trans and engine will all be worked frame off. Once its all done put the body on the frame, install insulations/deading materials, rebuild the firewall (heater core/AC) and then rewire the body. The fenders / engine wiring/ grille. The interior/windows will be last piece I plan on tackling. I think thats the most systematic way of doing it. Just reminding myself that Im in the very early stages and I'll will be worth all the work.

#13 Steeleco

Steeleco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

Alini, I am very jealous of you and Rob J. You guys have patients and great work ethic. Good luck on all of this. When your car is done I'm sure it will be like brand new. I have a 63 Riv that is probably not worth a real restore, but the work I have done has made it fun car. I can't beleive how much stuff actually works well on the car.
Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 1963 Riviera

1963 Riviera

Very Junior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Thanks allini for taking the time to post your work.
Nick
ROA #13827
1963 Riviera. Teal Mist. Black Interior
2000 Commodore Aclaim Wagon
Kawasaki W650 by Deus Ex Machina

#15 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Websites updated with last weeks work and I got the Cruiser pages rebuilt. Still need to do the Camaro, but I'm getting there. 38 hours spent on the Riv so far

Welcome to the Home of Ali'N'I

#16 whitewatersky

whitewatersky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

Love this line:

"No body work done. The only issue....the dirt. I have removed enough sand to start my own beach."

thanks for the informative site, mate !
Andrew P.... ROA member #12375 in Port Macquarie, Australia

1965 Riviera !

#17 rsmalling

rsmalling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

great web page Chris! Good Lord you aren't kidding about the dirt and sand, did you get it from Baghdad? :D

Keep up the good work!
Rob Smalling
ROA Member #13589
65 Riviera Gran Sport
Super Wild Cat

#18 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

The car was in outdoor storage for the past 10 years in Las Vegas. The storage lot was nothing but a big dirt lot. When the guy parked it in 2002, the storage yard was a chain link fence. Its now a brick wall and the storage place changed hands 3 times. I did find out more history about the car, its originally an Idaho car, moved to San Diego for a few months before ending up in Las Vegas in 1994. It was titled in Mississippi but was never in that state. The paint on the car dates back to pre-1994, there is an Idaho dealers sticker visible on the back. So far I can account for three other owners. The original, the person who bought it at a use lot (hence the sticker on the back) and the guy who picked it up and I bought it from.

Edited by alini, 05 August 2012 - 12:29 AM.

Chris Nolan
1965 Riviera - restoration in work - ROA #13766
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - 300HP, custom panel conversion, factory two tone paint
2011 Chevy Camaro - 1 of 500 Synergy Series II, White

http://www.teamalini.com

#19 alini

alini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

Just a quick update. Got the pylons built for the body stand. Started taking the body bolts out. Got 4 with no fight, the 5th started to so I ran it in a bit and oiled it. Taking a break for the day. Its 108 out, so pleased with what I got done today
Chris Nolan
1965 Riviera - restoration in work - ROA #13766
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - 300HP, custom panel conversion, factory two tone paint
2011 Chevy Camaro - 1 of 500 Synergy Series II, White

http://www.teamalini.com

#20 65purps

65purps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

nice info
1965 Riviera 401 Deluxe Interior  [/HR] 1963 Riviera 425 All Upgrades [/HR]ROA Member# 13781 ---- Paul  [/HR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/HR]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users