My 1940 is home again

Daves1940Buick56S

As you may recall my 1940 56S has been in the shop most of the summer getting clutch, trans, and rear end work done. It was all largely successful, although some issues remain that I will put in other threads. But the new clutch is fabulous, and the trans shifts real nice now - it had better with 4 new gears (out of 6) and all new bearings and seals! And it tracks a lot better now that the front end is aligned to spec.

So we decided to try driving it back the 65 miles to Rockville. In for a penny, in for a pound. It went pretty well, I actually had the car up to 55 a couple of times. No breakdowns, engine temp stayed right at 180, oil pressure in the white knuckle zone but I have to go to a heavier grade, still using the oil from after the ring job last May and June. So finally got it back and now I can actually drive it more than a few blocks! (once I get a few more issues sorted out...it never ends, does it?)

Cheers, Dave

post-87161-143142800421_thumb.jpg

Rolling out of the shop

post-87161-143142800413_thumb.jpg

Ready to go

post-87161-143142800436_thumb.jpg

Back home, road crew in the picture with chase car behind.

Ready for a few cold beers!

Mark - thanks!

Ben - well, I sure didn't want to push it until I got closer to home. The main reason I kept it lower was the exhaust leak. It got very LOUD at higher speeds when I pused more throttle into it. Turns out is was the doughnut and I have another thread on that. On the rear, I had a 3.4 put in. It turned out to be only a marginally good idea as the "new" one turned out to be very worn. He had to replace the carrier and pinion bearings as well as the carrier-to-ring rivets and the ring and pinion are worn enough that it still has a lot of slop, to the point it howls pretty good. But I stuck with it to keep the revs down (as opposed to my 4.44 that was in there originally). Eventually I will have to put in another, will start looking soon. MEanwhile, do you think 250 weight is too heavy? Only partially kidding...

Cheers, Dave

OK, Dave, a 3.4 is what I installed in my '50. I have to go to 2nd at lower speeds as the rpm really dropped from the 4.1. But 65 or 70 is still in the torque range. Actually saw [keep this a secret!] 92 on it coming back from Austin a couple weeks back. Chickened out at that. Someday.

Ben

Congratulations Dave :

All it takes is perseverance .... and money. Looks great. Hopefully we will see it at next springs Buick Brunch. I just listed a 1940 Super parts car for sale in the for sale section. I had to send a photo of your car to the fellow whom I posted it for. Just to show him what a real nice 1940 coupe looks like.

Best of Luck:

Larry

Congrats Dave, now for a little fahrvergnügen. I'm looking forward to seeing you at some of the local shows. Speaking of which, there is a first annual car show this Saturday at the Kensington Armory from 10-2. I'm going (if it's not raining) and it would be great to see you there too. 25 minutes from Rockville.....

Dave

Guest buickkuhn
Ben, Keith, Billy - Thanks! It is encouragement from you all that keeps me going.

Larry - yeah, I took a look at the photos. Pretty wrecked, I didn't see much there to salvage but maybe the motor and rear are OK. Does make my 20 footer look pretty good, eh? ;)

Cheers, Dave

definitely a beautiful 20 footer . Love to see the different stages of drivers , then the museum ones too .