Got 30k Offer for my 1925 Model T Coupe - Is this fair?

Guest mwave36

Guest AlCapone
It's called sarcasm. Some people find it funny, others take it serious.

With all due respect you're taking things way to serious Wayne. Lighten up and pull the cloth out of the buns.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I should lighten up a bit but I seriously thought that the integrity of all those trying to help was in question.

Wayne

I suspect the car may have been inherited, just speculation of course. He may not have known the actual value of the car. He did come back and admit that it was probably too good to be true, so I wouldn't necessarily brand him a troll. Some of you fella's ought to be a little nicer to new posters. Promoting the hobby may help initiate new interest, thus new buyers, and in the end, help your kid's get top dollar out of your cars, for that new home theater when you croak.

No offense but 'anyone' who claims to have a $30k offer on a Model T and looking to make a score has instantly been discredited by their own words, not much any of us can do at that point but make light of it....

I wish the original poster all the luck in the world and I hope he gets the $30k but I would lay odds that the man who offered the $30K is either:

A.) A BS Engineer

B.) Great Story Teller

C.) Professional Liar

In the end it's all the same...

We've all seen the type, they think they know the value of any classic but they really have no clue of any car value. I suspect mwave36 has an acquaintance who is a good story teller....

I have an Uncle who I've admired all my life but he knows nothing about car values. If you spoke to him as a stranger (the main poster comes to mind here) then he could really lay it on heavy to make you think he really knew what he was talking about. I once had a 30 Chrysler 66 series Business Coupe and he preached and preached to me how it was worth $80-100K. The engine partially dismantled, not running, missing parts and needed a complete restoration but he swore it was worth $80-100K. It took me months to convince him to change the lie in his own head. When I sold it he found his real answer...

Trollin', trollin', trollin', keep them doggies trollin' (sung to the tune of Rawhide). I think the original poster is trying to have what foes for fun in his mind at the expense of folks who are seriously interested in old cars.

An old story comes to mind. "A man from the car manufacturer came to our house and offered us a new one in exchange for our well kept old one. They were so impressed and really wanted it." Been told thousands of times.

OK, so which new car would you trade yours for? You can't sell it. You gotta keep it.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mwave36

I figured I should provide an epilogue to this story...

The guy said he would come by "in a day or two" to look at the T more closely. He said that three times over about a three week period. I haven't seen him since, and I'm done calling him. I think what might have happened is he made the ridiculous offer, then went home and actually did some Googling and realized his offer was way too high.

Anyway... I'm seriously considering putting it up for sale for $14,950, which would also include an extra engine, real end, spare body parts, and a large assortment of various smaller parts. And a couple driving lessons.

Thanks to most of you for your feedback. It was much appreciated.

Guest AlCapone
I figured I should provide an epilogue to this story...

The guy said he would come by "in a day or two" to look at the T more closely. He said that three times over about a three week period. I haven't seen him since, and I'm done calling him. I think what might have happened is he made the ridiculous offer, then went home and actually did some Googling and realized his offer was way too high.

Anyway... I'm seriously considering putting it up for sale for $14,950, which would also include an extra engine, real end, spare body parts, and a large assortment of various smaller parts. And a couple driving lessons.

Thanks to most of you for your feedback. It was much appreciated.

I think you still missed the advice as to the real value of your Model T. I think you are still reaching for the stars !

Wayne

Guest mwave36

As I do an accounting of all the spare parts, it looks like I'm only a chassis, one axel, and four tires away from being able to rebuild a second Model T. So $12,950 for the completely restored (and barely driven since) T, and $2,000 for all the extra parts. Is that still too high?

Len

If what you're saying is, there are enough parts, minus the missing items, to assemble a complete Model T, you may be in the ballpark. Frames, front axles and tires are relatively cheap and available. But, are all the parts really there? springs, spindles, linkages, all the body parts, radiator, lights etc., etc.? Otherwise it is just a car and a pile of spare parts. Pretty nice, late T coupes are going for under 10K for a driver quality car. Yours does look awfully nice, though