Question for members in the Carolina's...

I'm looking at retirement within the year and we want to move from New York and head down south to either North or South Carolina. My wife spent a short time down in Jacksonville, N.C. as a child ( military brat ), so we are exploring different localities between the Carolina's. Just looking for some input from the members here on their own personal opinion....naturally I'm bringing all of my vehicles with me and I want to stay active in the local car clubs!

Thanks!

steveimpala,

There are a lot of New York and New Jersey retirees in the Wilmington NC area. We have an active local antique car scene in this area. Feel free to check out the NC Region website at http://www.ncregionaaca.org/ as well as the local Cape Fear Chapter website at http://www.ncregionaaca.com/capefear/. I will send you my phone number and email address by Private Message. I would be happy to help you find some more information on this area if you are interested.

I knew Wilmington would come up in the thread! It is a nice place.....

I always liked the Charlotte area, but it's busy, crowded, so forth. I lived in Camden, SC, for a couple of years long ago, a nice little town with some very wealthy residents here and there. A few hours to the beach, or a few hours to the mountains, and great climate...

The Carolina's are a nice place to live or retire...

Guest Skyking
Wow Gary..... Taxes here are killing me... and our electric just went up again....

Taxes in the Northeast are killing everyone! And we get nothing for them.

I agree with Jay144, he made comments about the general mind set in the area, no one to sue AACA, why was his post deleted?

If someone asks a question, then all answers should be allowed that don't endanger the AACA.

It's no secret that liberal north, conservative south....

Southern Virginia isn't a bad area either and may be a little more "old-car-friendly" as far as licensing and taxation. Or at least as long as we can keep our friendly 14th House District career legislator on a leash...

Roanoke and Lynchburg have very active AACA groups and are within a few hours drive of other active groups.

Guest Skyking

It's no secret that liberal north, conservative south....

David, that's more disappointing than the high taxes here!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I can't believe some of the prices I hear about Taxes in the North. I hear of $5000 to $15,000 now and then and was talking to one guy in NJ recently and he told me that he is paying $24,000 a year!! He broke it down over the phone to me that it was $2000 a month, $500 a week and said the first $100 he made of every work day went towards taxes.

Ours is just a small fraction of that.