Packard Parked in Saratoga Springs

60FlatTop

I had to kick off a job in the north country last week, Malone, New York. So I took Route 30 right through the middle of the Adirondacks. I came across this '29? Parkard happily sitting on Main St. in Saratoga Springs. Painted with a broom, the locals said it was driven year round. I saw a picture of it with a roadster body in one of the store windows.

I love seeing these drivers.

028a.jpg

029a.jpg

030a.jpg

Nice Packard. I wonder if it belongs or belonged to Hawkeye. I think this is is park street though in Saranac lake not Saratoga Springs. I walked that sidewalk with my grandfather on sundays in the summers when I was growing up. I never did get to meet Hawkeye though. I heard he had quite a collection of early iron.

Guest De Soto Frank

Given the pile of stove-lids sitting atop the tool-box on the running board, and the coal-stove warming oven in the back, along with the sewing-machine, I wonder if this buggy wasn't parked in front of an antique shop ?

Also noticed the modern "commercial" plate on the front...

It is nice to see something as rare as a 1920's Packard being used...

Guest De Soto Frank

Looks like a touring car that was "truck-ified" somewhere along the way...

Wonder if it saw time as a tow-car ?

• 3 years later...

This car does belong to John Hawkinson aka. Hawkeye in Saranac Lake. He drives this during the summer months and has a Packard coupe that he drives in the winter. He is indeed parked in front of an antique shop and I wonder if he was buying or selling the stove.

As they aged and became inexpensive used cars, gas stations and shade tree garages created service vehicles out of powerful old Packard touring cars by installing manual cranes in the opened-up rear end and putting on hefty wide oak boards for the front bumper, for use in push starting dead cars. I recall seeing only one survivor, and that was 2 or 3 decades go. Too bad.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

• 2 years later...