Gearbox Grease

Guest Rich N

Guest imported_Rich N

I am sure this question has been posted before but my search did not bring up any recent discussions.

Can anyone recommend a grease for 1921 DB transmission? I have been using Mobil

Mobilux EP 023 which works fine when cold but seems to thin out when warm and leaks out of the gear box.

Yes, there have been several postings about transmission and rearend lubrication. I tried to search for this topic and other visible topics tonight and nothing is showing up. The search engine seems to be out-of-commission.

I'm not sure what Mobilux EP 023 is but last year, I bought 5 gal. of 600W steam cylinder oil from a local supplier --- Macmillan Oil Co. of Allentown Inc. 610-433-2146.

I use that oil both in the transmission and rear end. It works great - no leakes other than your normal occasional drips and drops.

Guest imported_Rich N

Thanks for the info FMF. I'll continue to monitor this site to see if others have recommendations.

The 600 grade is in my mind, an urban myth. Yes, it did exist in the 1920's and 1930's. But got recalibrated after WWII.

So:

Old cars leak fluids

buy the highest grade gear oil. probably 90w to 120w from auto store

top off annually.

others will surely disagree

I used Mobil's 600w Steam Cylinder oil in my Fast Four and that worked well (I too bought a 5 gallon bucket from a local distributor). It didn't stop all the drips, but then, as my Dad always says, with an old car the problem starts when it stops dripping. Snyder's Ford Parts sells 600w by the quart for $6.25, just don't tell your Dodge where it came from! http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/detail...m_parentid=1751

Guest John1918

Rich, type in 'Gear Lube' for search engine and look in August 04 and November 04. There were good discussions on transmission and dif lubrication. I thought them so important that I copied them onto paper. Cheers, John

Guest imported_Rich N

More great info. I am so glad this forum is here and the Dodge Brothers are so willing to share their info. I'll search the Ford Forum and search for "gear lube".

Thanks to all.

You are looking for MOBILE 600w cylinder oil. This is blended for gear boxes and is as close as you need to the original. In using this you will noticed smoother shifting when warm and slower and smaller leaks.

This may be purchased in five gallon bucket. Me my brother and two friends bought one last summer. I just called and it is readily available. We have been using this type oil for years in 1923, 1926, 1927 Dodges and a 1912 EMF. Zero problems

Reuel

• 1 month later...