Off topic. Other machines.

Machiner 55

I didn't get to work on big machinery, but connected little bitty wires at the phone company when I was working. Now I am retired and just turned 60 but I can still spin the tires going into 4th gear in my '63 Corvette 4 speed or spin the wheels anytime I want in my ( pictured ) 50 Chev.

post-30613-143137882414_thumb.jpg

Patience Gentlemen. I'll respond to all querys by Monday or Tuesday next week and include a photo or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who runs the mop in the foreground?

</div></div>

For now, I can say this. The mop handle fits all hands.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to insert images in the text of the post but it didn't work for me and I don't have time to figure it out right now so, I'll do it the long hard way for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Looks interesting. Where's the steering wheel and brake pedal?? </div></div>

No steering wheel or brake pedal but, here's the dash.

[color:\\"red\\"] See Attached.

post-67519-143137882416_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1/4 mile ET w/speed............ Please </div></div>

Can't answer that question expressed in those terms but..

The press is rated at 125 tons. The ram weighs 1,000 pounds. The upper dies attached to the ram weigh about 800 pounds for a total weight of 1800 pounds. The stroke is 1.625".

The press raises and lowers the ram 695 times per minute. That equates to a slow idle in our beloved little cars but, keep in mind the weight and size of the mass involved here. Each time the press completes one stroke, three units are produced. 2085 for every minute it runs. 125,100 every hour. 1,501,200 every 12 hour shift. 3,002,400 every 24 hours. (the plant I work at operates around the clock, every day of the year.) 21,016,800 every week. 52 weeks a year. (My calculator ran out of digit spaces for the yearly total but, you get the idea.) This is the capacity of just one press. The plant has 12 more with another press to come on line in March. You do the math. (makes my brain hurt!) tongue.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Was this during a brake upgrade?

...or an L67 swap?

</div></div>

Actually it was a Crown swap. A connecting rod inside the top of the press broke loose from the crank assembly and punched a hole through the side of the crown. Needed a complete teardown and rebuild. The casting at the point of penetration is about 2 inches thick.

[color:\\"red\\"] See Attached

post-67519-143137882421_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I didn't get to work on big machinery, but connected little bitty wires at the phone company when I was working. Now I am retired and just turned 60 but I can still spin the tires going into 4th gear in my '63 Corvette 4 speed or spin the wheels anytime I want in my ( pictured ) 50 Chev.

</div></div>

Awesome car for an awsome guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is a picture of classic USA progress.

My tools/toys are a little dirtier and yellower than these.

</div></div>

It's all good, honest work. I get dirty too but, the equipment has to be clean.[color:\\"red\\"] See Attachment.

post-67519-143137882423_thumb.jpg

My calculator says 11.5 strokes a second. If something goes wrong, you don't have time to duck.

I started as a tool designer and the largest press we had was 600 tons but the RPM was about 4 strokes a minute. It stamped out the side plates for a typewriter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My calculator says 11.5 strokes a second. If something goes wrong, you don't have time to duck.

</div></div>

The machines are pretty well guarded and the punch-through was the first I've seen in 33 years. But what can I say, it's all in a days work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I started as a tool designer and the largest press we had was 600 tons but the RPM was about 4 strokes a minute. It stamped out the side plates for a typewriter. </div></div>

Yah, these are pretty light weight presses but we're only stamping .011" aluminum stock to make these... [color:\\"red\\"]See Attached

post-67519-143137882425_thumb.jpg