TV's Best Car Commercials

Guest JT

I was only able to see part of it but looks like a good show on the Speed Channel.

I had never thought about the "new" wide track Pontiacs not fitting the tracks of the local car wash tongue.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

...saw it...I kept wondering when the "See the USA" commercial was gonna come up. I must agree they saved the best for last. I think that was the second song I ever remember singing when I was little. ("Jesus loves the little children" was the first.) smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was only able to see part of it but looks like a good show on the Speed Channel.

I had never thought about the "new" wide track Pontiacs not fitting the tracks of the local car wash tongue.gif </div></div>

I've always thought the Dinah Shore Chevy Commercials in the 50's and early 60's were tops, particularly her annual "new car introduction" Chevy Shows each September. But, for sheer impact, I loved the 60-second commercials that GM used, showing the quality, quietness of Fisher Bodies, the car body (from firewall back) gliding in the sky, with a family of 5 inside--talk about "Jet Smooth Ride"!

Art

I think still I have both the Pepsi and the Budweiser that they shot with Gordon's red Amphicar and the kite skier that was never aired due to concerns over drunk driving.

amphimotions.gif

This is an animated GIF of some stills shot for Automotive Quarterly of me in 1995

Jay - I would love to add them to the website if we could. The Pepsi commercial was done in '68 so it's not Hugh. There certainly may be a later shot of him though. Let me know OK?

I just noticed you have a Rokon! My old room mate had one. Super cool bikes! Too bad he was a freak (another story all together!) and the bike sat outside. I have no idea where it is now. It was yellow just like yours.

John

The ONLY thing that would be better about that video clip of you and your sister would be if it was full screen to get a better view. That is great. I lover her comment, "I am NOT going to get used to that". And then you laughing. Very cool. cool.gif

Guest 85CieraHoliday

Best car commercial ever-Chrysler Cordoba "Rich Corinthian Leather" "The new, small Chrysler"

The Pepsi commercial I have is the "Come Alive" that was shot in 1964.

I had it in 3/4 inch tape but I converted it the VHS (It is B&W I think).

The one with Hugh I haven't found yet but I would guess it was shot in 88.

I remember the only Amphicar I had at the time was the white brass trimmed one and they wanted a red one.

Hugh had left Water Wheels and move to CA, but they brought his red car back to Chicago to shoot the commercial.

I remember they took the front seat out of the Amphicar so the Mermaid could fit in it. But in the final cut you tell anyway. I think I have video of them shooting the commercial that Hugh sent me.

I'll have to look for the tape.

I used to have the Candid Camera skit with the Amphicar but I don't remember ever converting when VHS came out and I don't think the 3/4 tape will play anymore.

The best car commercial I ever saw was an old one for the VW bug. The whole thing had only one sentence in it. The commercial starts with a view of a howling blizzard in the middle of the night. Off in the distance, all you could see were the headlights, a snow plow trundles by. It parks in a shed, then you hear the familiar sound of a bug engine starting, and the bug scoots out the other side of the shed. At which point the announcer says "Did you ever wonder how the man who drives the snow plow gets to the snow plow?"

Great commercial!

VW had some of the best TV commercials of all time. The "They said it couldn't be done - and it couldn't!" with Wilt Chamberlain was great; and the one where the Ghia comes out of the sunrise, accelerates along the track, and then bounces off the checkered flag banner was priceless; and the one with the cowboy herding cattle with a VW! However as a Pontiac enthusiast, my favorite would be the "Bonnie & Clyde" GTO commercial about 1965.

Jon.

Several years ago I donated a 16mm film to the AACA Library called

"The car of your dreams" that was old car commercials.

I don't know if they still have it or not.

I know they showed it one year at the Hershey Thursday night movies when they were in the old Ice Rink. I also gave them a VHS copy of it.

It had most of the commercials mentioned here.

I liked the Quaker State commercial where the mayor is riding in a car at the head of the parade, the car is smoking very badly, there is a guy dressed as a World War I vet dazed and confused staggering through the smoke, the marching band is playing off key, and the mayor says "What kind of motor oil are you using Earl" and Earl says "Motor oil is motor oil"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone noticed the new Lee Ioccoca commercials with the old "if you can find a better car, buy it," quote?</div></div>

Yes--where'd that quote come from originally?

I wonder how many people even recognize old Iacocca?

And poor Jason Alexander looks dissheveled, and kind of has a "Dilbert's Boss" hair thing going on too.

I feel bad for both of them.

The best car commercial was aired on Saturday Night Live. It was the ad for the 1978 Royal Deluxe II (and obvious '78 Mercury Cougar sedan), with a briss performed in the back seat during a test drive. It followed the Mercury Grand Marquis diamond cutting ad almost shot for shot. grin.gif

"<span style="font-style: italic">That's a beautiful baby.. and a beautiful car! </span>"