Auto Transporter

BOSS302

I'd check the ads in the back of Hemmings. That's where I found a good company some years ago. I'd then annouce your choice on here, just in case someone had a problem with them. My guy was a couple of days late, but he was recommended by a high end car dealer in Florida, so I didn't worry about it. Sometimes these truckers will divert a little off the beaten path to pick up something on their way. The fuel prices are killing them right now. Wayne

My son recently had a jeep shipped from Texas to NJ and did a lot of research on the internet for haulers. One thing he did was check better business bureau and also ICC. I believe they maintain a site that has info about licensed carriers. I've heard also there is a website out there somewhere in cyberspace that posts reviews of haulers. I'll try to get some more specific info and post it .

Terry

The website to check is www.auto-transport-reviews.com

There are reviews from people who have used the companies listed. There are quite a few people in the business. Its fun reading through some of the comments there!

Terry

Guest Dave Mills

We just shipped my son's Charger from PA to Portland OR last week. Reliable was the least expensive but wanted to "warehouse" the car at their terminal until they had a load for the Northwest; Horseless Carriage was to pick the car up, but they never showed up or returned any of our phone calls. We went with Passport and we were very pleased with the service. The car arrived there in 5 days from the day of pick up. The prices we got were all within a couple hundred dollars of each other. From our experience, I would recommend Passport.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 1955 Ford Crown picked up in N.J. and delivered to my home in Spencerport N.Y. The company used a one car enclosed container hauler. They do haul from here to Florida with both open car haulers and closed container. I was very satisfied with the company and people at the firm. It is family owned and they try very hard to please. I am sure they would pickup your car in Pa. The charge for my car was about $500 but that was last August before the gas increases and they had to go to N.J. empty to pick up my car. Their company is: DIDAS AUTO TRANSPORT, 8289 Sackett Rd., Bergen, N.Y. 14416 585-494-1910 John

Guest 70 Electra

I've used Pilot successfully several times and would recommend them without reservation. That has been GM's carrier for show cars for many years. Reliable is also very good.

Regardless of carrier, read the small print about "up" charges. Basic things like jump starting at car is an extra charge from some carriers. Also, the amount of money that must be pre-paid varies.

If you're not in a hurry, you can often save a bundle by using "next available" space. They may have to give you a 2-3 week window for the move but the cost is much cheaper.