Car Trivia Question

24T42

I have a question about car trivia that I am sure you guys can answer.

Last week, Triangle Chapter had its annual Christams party (we hold it in January because of the weather and so many December commitments). We always do the Christams gift exchange where you are able to steal a package if you want to. To decide whose turn it is, every year I come up with car trivia questions. If you want to particiapte in the gift exchange you receive a trivia question which gets thown into a hat. When your question is drawn, you may either choose to unwrap a gift or steal something already unwrapped. You are not required to know the answer. This has proven a lot of fun.

Well, every year there are one or two questions that spark some discussion. This year, I chose to do car trivia from film, TV, or music. Several questions, sparked immediate debate - one concerning the TV show the Waltons and the other about the film American Graffiti.

OK - here is my question. Was the T-Bird that Suzzane Somers drove in the movie a 1956 or 1957 T-Bird?

Thanks in advance.

I was just a wee child when the Waltons was on, and the only episode I can even recall is one where a Model A truck (not the AA) had its engine compartment catch on fire. I recall being horrified that they would burn an old truck like that. It was a '28 or '29, definitely not the dually AA model. I think John-Boy was driving it.

This is probably no help, but that is a very vivid memory for me.

According to the official Walton web site, the following cars and trucks can be seen in the show.

John-Boy drove a 1928/29 Model A Ford Coupe; Jim Bob a 1928/29 Ford Model A Roadster; Mary Ellen and Curt drove a 1932 Ford Model B Sedan Delivery; Cindy drove a 1941 red convertible; and John's Woody was a 1941 Plymouth. John's lumber truck was a 1928/29 Ford Model AA

BUT, this does not answer the question - What model truck was depicted in the opening sequence of the TV series ?The Waltons?? Remember - I said it was somewhat of a trick question!!

I believe that John Walton's woodie wagon was a 1940 Plymouth and not a 1941. I have been looking for pictures of the car that was on the show and haven't found any. Being the owner of a '40 Plymouth woodie, and having pictures of a 1941 Plymouth car, I could show you the difference very quickly and easily.

Ok - it is time for the answer. You are right the truck used in the show was an AA truck. However, in the opening sequence a different truck was depicted. One I might add never appeared in the show. To find out what truck I am talking about, click on the attachment. I said this question had a twist in it.

I apologize for the quality of the picture. Our DVD recorder is not working so I had to revert to the VHS tape and digital camera.

So the answer is ---

False.

<span style="font-style: italic">Peanuts</span> was used to sell 1961 Ford products, which I think was <span style="font-style: italic">their</span> first animation or use on TV. I have a 1955 Nash commercial on tape with animated Disney characters in it. There may be earlier examples.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Is the question "Were the Peanuts characters the first animated characters in an automobile commercial" or are we saying that "The first time the peanuts characters were animated (rather than in a comic strip), it was for an automobile commercial"?

The answer is true.

The Peanuts characters have appeared in animated form on television many times. This started when the Ford Motor Company licensed the Peanuts characters in 1959 for black and white television advertisements for the Ford Falcon. This commercial was animated by Bill Melendez who worked at Playhouse Pictures, a cartoon studio that had Ford as a client.

• 2 weeks later...

While getting new tires put on the car this week, I saw the following trivia question in a magazine.

What percentage of the U.S. is paved?

I will tell you this the answer has two parts. In the first part, consider only roads. And part 2, throw in parking lots, sidewalks, building foundations, and all other "impervious surfaces".

The answer suprised me. What is your best guess?

I really didn't mean this to be a trick question. The answer is -

"If you count only roads, says Richard Forman, a Harvard professor of landscape ecology, the number is 0.6%, an area roughly half the size of Virginia. If you throw in parking lots, sidewalks, building foundations, and all other "impervious surfaces," the number doubles to about 1.29%."