Photos: August 14 Buick-Olds-Pontiac Cruise to Mt. Rainier

Centurion

A few of my photos are ready to share from the August 14 Buick-Olds-Pontiac cruise to Mt. Rainier. I will add to this -- or create a second thread -- as I have opportunity.

This was the third annual cruise of the following clubs:

North Cascade Chapter, Buick Club of America

Puget Sound Chapter, Pontiac-Oakland Club International

Puget Sound Chapter, Oldsmobile Club of America

I had launched this event back in 2002, and the clubs agreed that we would rotate responsibility for planning and leading the cruise. This year, the Oldsmobile Club took responsibility, and we enjoyed a very ambitious one-day cruise that took us from sea level to about 7,000 feet on the slopes of majestic Mt. Rainier. Many of us clocked more than 300 miles on the twists and turns that day, and the vintage iron performed admirably. The Slim Jim transmission in a '64 Pontiac Grand Prix was leaking automatic transmission fluid at a rapid rate as we neared the summit, and many of the temperature needles were nearing the "hot" zone as we reached the two summit viewpoints and picnic areas.

I planned to drive my '59 Buick this year, and was excited to learn that the Olds Club director would be driving his '59 Oldsmobile Super 88 sedan and the Pontiac Club director planned to drive his '59 Pontiac Bonneville Vista. The Olds was sidelined due to a failed fuel pump, but was replaced by this beautiful 1960 Olds Super 88.

2031960_Olds_Super_88-med.jpg

The Pontiac club director failed to show due to a last minute business trip, but another '59 Pontiac -- a Star Chief Vista -- was the first car to meet at the gathering point. I was next to arrive, and it was great fun to park my '59 Buick next to the '59 Pontiac.

2031959_Electra_Star_Chief-med.jpg

Many of you know that I have held a long-term interest in the General Motors four door hardtop rooflines of 1959 and 1960. Referred to as the "flying wing" or "cantilever" rooflines during the development phase by GM styling, we now refer to these cars as flattops. My understanding is that GM's objective was to make the roof appear to "float" above the car, and Harley Earl had evidently wanted all of these roofs finished in stainless steel. The corporation's experience with the '57-'58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham revealed that this would have been prohibitively expensive, so the stainless steel idea was dropped. I have collected literature dating as far back as 1976 that notes the "special interest" status of vehicles having this roofline. I was delighted when a fourth "flattop" showed up, marking the first time that a Cadillac has ever participated in this event. The '59 Cadillac Sedan DeVille built in the 4-window flattop style was much less popular than the six-window 4-door hardtop, and it's a model that is seldom seen.

2031959_Cadillac_Sedan_DeVille-med.jpg

Eric and Karen Bernard drove their fine, original 1958 Buick Century 2-door Riviera, still equipped with its optional Flight Pitch transmission. I had the thrill of following this beautiful car for a period time, and the many curves and switchbacks on the two lane highway allowed me to enjoy watching this car in motion.

2031958_Buick_Century-med.jpg

Here are a few other photos from our meeting place:

203Widetrack_and_Delta_Wing-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Line-Up_Starting_Point-med.jpg

2031955_Roadmaster_at_BOP_Cruise-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Line-Up_Rear_View-med.jpg

Here are a few photos from our first pit stop in Enumclaw, Washington. That's a '71 Oldsmobile Toronado flanked by the '58 Century and '60 Super 88.

203B-O-P_Tour_Stop_I-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Stop_II-med.jpg

203Buicks_at_Gas_Station-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Stop_III-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Stop_IV-med.jpg

203B-O-P_Tour_Stop_V-med.jpg

Here is our first stop near the entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park. Steve Eremenko and Teri Hill drove the '57 Buick Special from Agassiz, British Columbia to join us for the cruise.

203Mt_Rainier_Park_Entrance-med.jpg

In this photo, you will see (left to right) a '65 Buick Wildcat convertible, '63 Buick Electra 225 sedan, '57 Olds 98 convertible, '55 Buick Roadmaster 2-door Riviera, '64 Pontiac Grand Prix, and a '69 Olds Cutlass.

203Mt_Rainier_Entrance_II-med.jpg

203Entrance_to_Mt_Rainier_Park_III-med.jpg

Here are a few shots at the Sunrise summit on the northern slopes of Mt. Rainier:

20357_98_at_Sunrise-med.jpg

203Cars_at_Sunrise_on_Mt_Rainier_II-med.jpg

203Cars_at_Sunrise_Mt_Rainier-med.jpg

During the course of uploading my photos to the Internet, I experienced a massive failure of my home computer (bad power supply ruined hard disk and mother board). Additional photos will be forthcoming in a separate thread. My apologies to those of you (myself included) on dial-up who must wait for this thread to open.

This tour was one of the summer's great thrills for me. Few things compare to a beautiful two-lane highway filled with incredible old cars. We continue to delight in the fact that the Ferrari Club -- who also toured on the mountain that day -- failed to catch up to us once we passed them at their pit stop!

Guest my3buicks

Ok, Brian. I'll take one of each!!!! Although the black 57 vert could really come live with me. Or maybe those 59's, or may the 60's or maybe.....

Thanks, all, for your gracious words!

Matt, we'll all be excited to hear about the day that the '41 Century is back on the road.

There were no pre-WWII cars joining us on this particular tour, but I'll be planning next year's event, and I intend to work hard to get many of the earlier cars on the road with us. The pre-war Buicks are very roadworthy cars that have no difficulty keeping up with most cruises of this kind.

Mr. Earl, I would also enjoy seeing photos from many of the other Buick fans on this forum. Since I have no website of my own, the Collectible Automobile Photo Post on this forum works well as a mechanism for getting my photos onto the web. From there, it's a simple matter to insert the images into the text of a thread -- as I have done here. Many of us participate in local car events, and all of us like to see the ways in which our fellow forum members enjoy the collector car hobby. Keep the great Buick photos coming!

I'm not sure what the rest of the people in the world do for fun, but this type of activity looks like the ultimate good time to me. Thanks for sharing these pictures. It looks like a perfect day and a truly teriffic time.