Buick National Driven Award Information

Welcome BCA Members:

The following information is posted to be of assistance to BCA members who are interested in entering a car in the Driven Class. More is required than just driving a Buick to the National. They include:

1. The Buick must be at least 25 years old.

2. The Buick must be driven the entire distance to the National from the residence of the member.

3. Each Buick must be equipped with the following original or period items: Engine, clutch, transmission, rear end (differential), brakes, steering and lights. No vehicle shall be disqualified based upon the use of radial tires, sealed beams/halogen headlights or the presence of a non-factory overdrive system.

4. Body and trim must be of components original and appropriate for the year and model involved. The interior must be structurally unaltered and structurally complete.

5. Vehicles are not judged on cosmetics. The vehicle need not be painted an original color or have original upholstery and carpet. The body shell (components) need not be cosmetically repaired and no car shall be disqualified because of rust , deterioration or damage.

6. Items may be installed which are not original or period for safety purposes. Examples are seat belts, turn signals, stop lights and electric wipers. Each car must pass the safety inspection and have the required fire extinquisher.

7. There are no appeals.

These are a summary of the rules as published twice in the Bugle. See Bugle of June, 2003, page 9 for more detail.

Set out below is the article written for the Bugle on the judging experience at the Plano National.

BUICK NATIONAL DRIVEN AWARD - 2005

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The Buick National Driven Award premiered at the BCA National in Plano, Texas. There were 38 entrants with four of the cars entered not present. Twenty eight entrants received the Driven Award while six did not. The purpose of this article is to discuss why the cars owned by six entrants did not qualify for the Award. It is hopeful that this discussion will benefit those preparing cars to attend the 2005 National in New York. To qualify for the Driven Award you must do more than drive your car to the National.

The rules adopted by the BCA Board are reflected in the written requirements and judging sheet. One entrant did not have a spare tire. The rules and judging sheet were twice published in the Bugle and clearly state that five tires and rims are required (June 2003 Bugle, page 9). A BCA member should not attempt to drive his Buick to the National without a spare tire, regardless of the distance involved. Three of the cars were highly modified. A 1930's Buick had a V-8 engine and drive train along with Weld racing wheels and many other non-original and non-period items. Another entrant was equipped with a 1970's Chevrolet five speed transmission and a Nova rear end along with an alternator and many other custom features. One early 1950's entrant sported a 1993 Buick Roadmaster transmission and rear end, along with non-original and non-period air conditioning as well as an alternator. These were beautiful cars and one of them I found to be one of the most appealing cars at the show. Nevertheless, they were modified and belonged in the Modified Division. Another car was equipped with non-period wheels and hubcaps, although the car was otherwise satisfactory. These were certainly not original nor period items. The final car was from the 1940's and equipped with air conditioning, an alternator and pusher fan. The judges agreed that these last two cars simply did not satisfy the requirement of being equipped with original or period components. Although lightly modified they still did not satisfy the rules adopted for the Buick National Driven Award.

The judges did agree that electic windshield wipers were a saftey item on cars originally equipped with a vacuum system. Cars in the Driven Award Class are not judged based upon cosmetics or general condition. The rules clearly recite that while the interior must be structually intact, it need not be painted an original color nor have original upholstery and carpet. The body shell and components need not be cosmetically repaired and the rules clearly state that no cars shall be disqualified because of rust, deterioration, or damage. In addition, non-orginal items installed for safety purposes are allowed. Examples under the rules include seat belts, turn signals, and stop lights. Further leeway is given by allowing radial tires, sealed beam/halogen headlights, and non-factory overdrive systems. However, the basic drive train, as well as body and trim, must be original or equipment from the period.

A "period item" is an item which appeared in the year your car was manufactured but may be from a car built earlier or later. For example, a car made in a year when air conditioning was available may have air conditioning from either an earlier year or later year. However, if you want to put air conditioning in a 1937 Buick it is not original nor equipped with a period item and becomes a modified vehicle which should be in the Modified Division. Other examples include alternators, chrome wheels and hubcaps, pusher or puller fans, power steering and disk brakes.

Equipping your car with non-original and non-period items could lead to a disqualification from receiving the Driven Award. If your car is modified, please enter it in the Modified Division. Thanks for listening.

BCA Board of Directors

Patrick W. Brooks, President

Pat, thank you for providing a thorough explanation of the requirements. The examples you've presented from the Plano National are very helpful in terms of understanding what is and what is not acceptable for the Driven Award.

The requirements as you've presented them seem entirely appropriate to me, and I appreciate the effort to both preserve the integrity of the cars and encourage those of us with less-than-perfect vehicles to drive them to the National Meets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> pusher or puller fans, power steering and disk brakes </div></div>

Personally, I can see where these items would be desireable on a driven award car. For instance...older vehicles weren't meant for driving some of the longer distances that are required to drive to a National meet, and at the highway speeds encountered today. Keeping that in mind, I can imagine a few cars requiring the pusher/puller fans to be able to run cool enough on the highway to make the trip. While power steering may not be absolutely necessary, an older member may not have the stamina nor endurance to drive a non-power steering vehicle to a National meet. And as far as disc brakes go, well, driving a 25+ year old vehicle among the rest of the new cars with ABS and traction control, not to mention big rigs on the road...I could see disc brakes being a safety consideration. We have a club member with a vehicle that he cannot drive due to the fact his old drum brakes take several blocks to stop his vehicle.

I'm just adding my .02 to the discussion as I feel these items are not done purely for cosmetics like chrome wheels and hubcaps...these mods are mainly done for safety. Maybe one day my cars will qualify for a driven award too...but not anytime soon. frown.gif

Friends:

I am delighted with the Buick Driven award as described by Patrick. No doubt the details will evolve as time continues, but the main goals of the award are clear to me -- to encourage owners of their cars to drive them to meets. Having the Buicks on the road on their way to meets does a lot for the hobby and the preservation of the marque. These driven cars become rolling ambassadors for the BCA, and they offer a touch of the smells, sounds, and sights of original cars that cannot be experienced in the normal static car show venue.

Thanks to BCA for getting it going, and thanks for awarding our '27 Buick one. It was a definite incentive for us to take the trip to Plano. Yes, this car is a handful to drive and takes some strength and stamina to travel with it. But we enjoyed every mile of our 1600 mile journey to Plano, Amarillo and back -- most all of it on secondary roads.

Bill

Albuquerque, NM

Hello All: Bill, I should have stated earlier how impressed I was with your drive to the National. What an adventure it must have been to "herd" that beauty all those miles. Unless someone has done something similar they cannot fully understand what it is like to be able to measure the temprature of the engine from inside the passenger compartment. I consider you the foremost ambassador for the Driven Class at Plano.

Dan, The points you mention are noted and it is for this reason we will have the new Modified Division at the 2005 National. It has been my position that we must accomodate everyone in the BCA and this means providing a venue for all of the Buicks in the Club. I view the BCA as a TENT under which we must make room for all. If you take one of your cars to Batavia you will be priviledged to be in the very first Modified Division group. As to the Driven Class, there should be minimual overlap between the Classes and yet provide flexibility and be reasonable. I think the Board has achieved this goal with the many rules which allow a wide scope of non-original and non-period equipment on cars in the Driven Class. However, there must be a point beyond which entrants cannot cross, otherwise there are no rules at all.

Hope to see you in Batavia. Patrick W. Brooks

Guest imported_Bob 55 Special

Pat,

I've been wondering about some maintenance items.

Such as:

Spin oil filter to replace the cartridge. Advantage is the later style has an internal valve to hold the oil up in the engine and is easily obtainable. Even at a Jiffy Lube.

Inside the Distributor Electronic Ignition. Very dependable and easy to switch back if it should fail. Advantage is increased gas mileage.

Auxiliary electric fuel pump just in case. May be handy for vapor lock and/or a failed mechanical pump.

Re core radiator from 2 tube to 4 just for those hot long drives. May eliminate any overheating that some would add an electric fan for.

Already Planning on Batavia!

Also Joined the BDE while in Plano.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Pat: What are the rules for a radio/stereo/tape/cd sound system? Sure makes the trip more enjoyable with some good tunes instead of static. cool.gif Many systems can be installed with almost no visible cosmetic appearance or change.

Thanks for posting the "specifics" of the Driven Class, Mr. Brooks.

I concur that the vehicles in this class should be reasonably stock in appearance and equipment, but it seems that the originality issues might be being taken a little too far in a few respects. I agree that an alternator or add-on (non-GM accessory) air conditioning (with a non-GM compressor) being added to a Straight 8 vehicle, for example, would be out of place on that particular vehicle, just as disc brakes on the same vehicle would be, but I suspect that sending such vehicles off to the Modified Division is a little out of place--considering that typical vehicles in that class will not be completely stock in appearance and have many more modifications to them, therefore putting the equipment-modified vehicle mentioned above at a distinct disadvantage in the judging activities. In other words, adding the alternator or add-on a/c system or more modern sound systems does not usually a "modified" vehicle make, especially in the context of the type of customized/rearchitectured vehicles that we expect to see in that new division.

I concur that there needs to be some "lines in the sand" that probably need to be there to make sure the new Driven Class does not become something that it might not have been meant to be, but the less specific the rules are might also take some of the anxiousness I heard in conversations about the new class at Plano. Although the new Driven Class might not have been intended to be 400-point-judging oriented, it appeared that many tended to perceive it that way (due to the "originality issues" they mentioned).

It might also be mentioned that as halogen headlights and radial tires are "non-issues" in the Driven Class (safety related items?), then as an alternator could be said to be more reliable than generators, air conditioning and newer sound systems can keep the driver more relaxed and attentive (typically), modern size batteries have more reserve electrical power, and electronic ignition upgrades can help with economy and emissions, then where does the line between Driven and Modified happen? To me, it would be "intent to maintain stock and period external appearances" instead of to make the vehicle appear as a customized vehicle or "street rod/street machine" to the general public.

We all know that more modern hardware can be easier to find on a cross country trek than something from the 1940s or even 1950s should a part failure occur. Some might know where to find generator brushes, for example, but are they as readily available as a rebuilt GM alternator from the 1970s? The same could be said for halogen headlights versus regular sealed beams or a repro tire versus a more modern radial tire of similar size. In short, making a laundry list of "not accepted" items will only generate a longer list as more people inquire about what they've done to their vehicles that, in their mind, make them more adapted to modern traffic situations AND as they now value their comfort (more than in prior times) on longer trips in their vintage vehicles. Participation in the Driven Class should not be about getting "beaten up" by driving an older Buick without air conditioning cross country in the summer with an AM radio and one speaker for entertainment as much as it should be about getting the cars out to enjoy driving them and for others to see and appreciate in the process. At least in Texas (where the hang-down add-on air conditioning industry started), having a '60s or similar lower trim level Buick with under-dash a/c from FrosTemp, FrigiKing, or others was reasonably common until the integrated factory a/c systems became more plentiful and started filtering down from the higher level models in the later 1960s.

So, with all due respect, I might suggest that so long as the potential Driven Class entry is significantly stock appearing (Buick-issue wheels included, but maybe from a different/newer production year) with a powertrain appropriate for the vintage of the vehicle, indicating the owner's significant orientation to keep the vehicle "All Buick", then it probably should be allowed into the Driven Class and eligible for the appropriate recognition award. By observation, if the owner starts to "customize" the vehicle with chrome and also different engine/transmission items, then that proves (at least to me) intent to not keep the vehicle "stock appearing" for its particular vintage. I feel that if a vehicle could be easily classified as a "street rod", "street machine", "period custom", or "full custom" that it should not be in the Driven Class for any reason. A point of discussion might be for what's called "Day Two Restorations", though. Determining the owner's "intent" might be easier than to have a long checklist of "non-approved" items, I suspect.

I like the basic orientation of the Driven Class, but we all know some fine-tuning of the concept and implementation will be necessary in the next few years as things evolve. Having more people enjoying their Buicks safely on the roads of our planet can be a very good thing to help happen.

Just some thoughts. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Willis Bell 20811

this is bill's report on his Plano trip in his '27.... he had none of the "belly aching", pumps, radios, and a/c that the later model folks are worried about!

also, he drove it to Flint last year!

REPOST FROM THE '27 GROUP. grin.gif

Friends:

We just got back from Plano with a side trip to Amarillo to go on parts of the VMCCA Chrome Glidden Tour.

Our Buick ran great, another 1500 miles to its credit. The route we found was just excellent, mainly two lane roads with very little traffic. Except for that last 50 miles or so into Plano. The weather was OK as well, with most (not all) days under 100 F. We did encounter a very severe storm in Amarillo that inflicted real bad hail damage to one of the VMCCA tour cars -- but our Buick was in a different part of town during the storm and just got wet.

Plano did not have too many older Buicks. There was one other '27, a sharp standard roadster. Other than two 1910 cars, the '27's were the oldest cars there. Most folks were surprised to learn that we drove our car out there, just like they were at Flint. We received the lovely new Buick Driven award, a very nice bronze casting that we will mount somewhere on the car.

Problems? Well, a seat fell out of the vacuum tank vacuum intake valve and took some time to diagnose. Repair took a bit of JB weld epoxy and some staking of the seat with a punch. It never acted up again. We had a sudden flat between Plano and Amarillo on the way home. Don't know why, could not find a nail or any other obvious damage to the tire.

We are now home resting comfortably. I think I will pull the head though, I noticed some foaming of the coolant suggesting the head gasket is leaking some. I have almost worn out one of the new and expensive Coker tires we bought about 6000 miles back.

Bill Sullivan and Nance Crow

Albuquerque, NM

Good Morning All: Have reviewed the postings and hope this email helps with information and ideas.

Bob: The good news first. No problem with the electric fuel pump nor the wider radiator. In the straight eights the Dynaflow used a wider radiator because it required more RPMs while the sticks did not so a narrower radiator was used. This probably saved a few bucks and used up existing stock. Therefore, no problem with the wider radiator as there is a history of such use. The spin off oil filter and electronic ignition are not allowed. I am very familiar with both as I have installed them on my cars and removed them when required. They venture to far into the modified area.

Bruce: The modern radio/stereo/tap/CD sound system is also to much of a modified addition. We simply take a battery powered boom box with us and leave the existing system intact although it may not work.

Willis: Most of the answers to your email are contained in the preceding emails. Many of your concerns can be addressed by simply taking the spare parts with you and being ready to cope with problems which might occur. As to entry of a car as described by you, I would suggest getting in touch with Keith Horsfall who is organizing the Buick Modified Division and organizing a modified drivers group in the modified class. This solves all the problems of changing the intent of the Drivers Award while providing the same recognition in a different class. A bit of a different name for the award would be required and you would have your own medallion and criteria. You and others who are interested in this idea should contact Keith at kwkoll@rogers.com Keith would have to submit something to the National for approval on how this would work.

Thanks to all, Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

Pat,

Thanks for posting this as I am the 1947 Buick you speak of earlier.

Yes I have A/C,

Yes I have an alternator and 12 V system and a cooling fan.

I cant survive driving in Texas without at least the fan.

Maybe a change in the wording of the rules will make things clearer for all involved.

The rules state that: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Each Buick must be equipped with the following original or period items: Engine, clutch, transmission, rear end (differential), brakes, steering and lights. No vehicle shall be disqualified based upon the use of radial tires, sealed beams/halogen headlights or the presence of a non-factory overdrive system. </div></div>

My 1947 fits the rules here. Maybe the rule needs to change to specifically state that items that are not correct for the year or period of the car (unless they are for safety) will disqualify the car for this award. This will get rid of a lot of the individual questions on whether x is appropriate or not.

In my case, I was going to drive my Buick to the meet anyway as it was fairly close to home.

Hello Bill: Thanks for the email and good questions. Everyone should remember that the goal of the BCA Board in creating the rules surrounding the Driven Class was to keep it simple and in doing so to avoid having to write "a book" of rules as we find in the 400 System. Because of the 400 System people seem to be looking for rules which say what they cannot do and not looking at the rules which simply recite what you can do. Water pumps, distributors, air cleaners, manifolds, carbs, and a generator or alternator (whichever was original with the car) are all part of the engine unit. Generally, we all know what was "original" with our car. The rules surrounding the Driven Award are not such that a person looks for something telling him/her that something cannot be done. The existing 400 point Judging Handbook is 78 pages of fine type and is being revised for another printing. We will not do that to the Driven Class. A straight engine came with a generator and not an alternator and we all know that. No rule is required other than the existing rule which says it has to be "original". One of the things which concerned the Board in creating the Driven Class was the need to avoid having a large number of judges as is required in our 400 Point System. There are simply not enough judges to go around and we have trouble at the National now finding enough judges for the 400 Point System. Therefore, you find the Driven Class excuses all the fine detail invovling cosmetics and condition as well as appropriate interior fabrics, colors and the like. The rules in the Driven Class are so relaxed that to do those things which some want would destroy the intention of the Board and make this a modified group. With the creation of the Modified Division those with changes to extreme for the Driven Class have a venue for recognition and those with only lightly modified cars can reverse what they have done and enter the Driven Class. There are always many questions when something new is done and I hope this helps answer the questions held by BCA members. I personally think the best thing to do is to contact Keith Horsfall who is heading the organizing of the Modified Division about a Driving Award in that Division. His email is kwkoll@rogers.com The Bugle will be printing an application form for the Modified Division to assist in their getting organized for the 2005 National in Batavia. Hope this helps, Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

Does a dual master cyclinder on a 64 count as modified or is it a safety improvement exempt from the period requirement? I think there was a GM retrofit upgrade kit available in 66/67. Lose the brakes once in a single master system and you won't ever think twice about it being a safety item. What about the Buick Road wheels? Not correct for a 64 Riv but for a 64 Wildcat and later years Rivs? If allowed do they have to be the 64 color/style or can they be later years?

Larry

Good Morning Larry: Thanks for the email. The wheels are no problem if they were available in the year the car was made, even though on another model, they are "period". For example, if chrome wheels were not available in the year the car was made they are not "period". If available in the year the car was made they can actually come from a later year or a different model. Even if different in appearance they are still considered "period" in that a chrome wheel was available when the car was made. They would have to be Buick chrome wheels and not aftermarket or another brand. As to the master cylinder, I am asking that you research whether it was available as a Buick option when the car was made and if not when and how it was listed by Buick, ie an authorized replacement part. You may email me at Brooker50158@hotmail.com Thanks, Patrick W. Brooks

Hooboy, what a mess.

I did not understand the Driven Award when proposed and I still donnot understand fully...and it seems that others are in the same boat.

It seems to have the same requirements on authenticity as the 400 points system but not on condition or workmanship. There are some allowances on authenticity, but not enough for a driver.

What about cruise contol? In the 400 point system I would lose some points, but in the driver class I would be disqualified...

Willie

old, tank,

what's a senor car doing, looking for a drivers award?

Now stop causing problems and keep scrubbing those white walls! grin.gif

BN-2001B.jpg

2001 BGN bufflo

Old Tank,

That's a beauty! Hope to see you in Batavia! Maybe I'll sign up to be judged just so I might be able to get a picture of my Special near your Gorgeous 55!

Bob

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to read all the posts and respond. It is very encouraging to see BCA officers on the lists addresing issues and taking the concerns back to the board meetings. I'm not sure if this was done much before as I've only been around the Buick lists for a couple of years. I am commenting because I see your article in this issue of the Bugle and it has information right from the on-line discussions which is great.

I was thinking the driven class should have two divisions but I see that the modified class is considering it's own driven class which would cover this whole topic and solve mostly everyone's heartache about this class. Instead of being disqualified on the field they could just be assigned to the other class for the driven award in the modified division! :-)

The important thing is that any Buick driven to the Nationals should get some sort of recognition if it is desired. There is nothing better than seeing a Buick on the road!

Good Morning John: Thanks for the kind words. I'll slip my flack jacket off for a few minutes and rest. The important thing is that we all work together to create venues for everyone. The problem is that one group does not fit all and I have had several contacts with Keith Horsfall about a Driven Award in the Buick Modified Division (BMD). He cannot do everything at once and is working hard to get the BMD off the ground. You will find in the coming Bugles an application blank to join to try to get things organized for Batavia. At Batavia an organizational meeting will take place and I am sure the Modified Driven Award will be on the agenda. If anyone out there would like to take a try at designing a medallion I know Keith would appreciate it. Work together to get it going and I know it will succeed. Keith's email address is kwkoll@rogers.com and his additional contact information is in the Bugle as he is on the list of Technical Advisors. He lives in Canada and is in the Bugle Roster under the list of Canadian members. Give him a SHOUT and he will respond. Keep fighting for Buick. Patrick W. Brooks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll slip my flack jacket off for a few minutes and rest. </div></div>

Look Ned! He's slipped his flack jacket off, and now he's coming right for us!! {bang}{bang}{bang} Whew, I think we got him!

A little South Park humor to break up the day....

Friends:

My two cents is to lighten up on the authenticity requirements for the driven class.

I would require interior and exterior to "appear as original" in terms of color, quality, trim, and accessories. The engine compartment should also appear as original. That means it should have the right type of engine in there and look essentially like it did when it left the factory.

Modifications to improve drivability should be allowed, such as modified fans, alternators, improved brakes, extra fuel pumps, different carburators, electronic ignitions, etc. -- provided these modifications do not detract significantly from the original appearance of the engine compartment. This makes it a judgement call with considerable discretion on the part of the judges. And puts some burden on the owner to effect modifications in a way that do not detract from the original appearance of the car.

My own 27 Buick which recently received a driven award, did in fact have a modified fan (flat belt to V-belt and extra blades) to help us to drive it in very hot weather. Most Buick folks would not have even noticed this difference, but technically it is modified and a judge could have disqualified the car for that. At the Flint Nationals, the 31 Buick roadster that received the prewar distance driven award had an alternator and a downdraft carburator added. No doubt, the owner made these mods to help the car run a bit better in our modern traffic -- but they were nicely done and did not detract significantly from the original appearance of this lovely car.

In the end, this class should be run where most folks in the class receive the award, with only cars with obvious and substantial modifications being excluded. After all, the point is to encourage owners to drive and expose original Buicks to the public. And the more that do this, the better....Besides, lightening up makes it easier on the judges too.

Bill.

Guest my3buicks

Well put Bill, and I think that is what the majority of BCA members THOUGHT this class was going to be.

Thanks Bill!

That is how I was thinking as well.

I want my 55 to look like a 55. But my thought has always been what can be done better without changing the look of the car. Really like the idea of a spin on oil filter and not having to mess with points. Maybe I'm lazy but I'd rather be driving my 55.

In fact the weather looks nice tonight think I'll go for a drive! cool.gif

Pat,

Was just wondering has there been any thought to giving some reconition to the folks that drove their judged cars to the meet?

I was really impressed by the judged cars that were driven to Plano. Of course these folks would probably show up anyway. But it was sure neat to see them heading to Plano Thursday and n the way back Friday!

Pat,

I?ve been reading the various comments on the driver?s class for a week or so and finally decided to throw in my two cents. I?m pretty sure I was on the board that approved the Driven/Driver?s class and I know that I strongly supported its creation and naming you as the person in charge.

I was also under the impression that cars entered in the Driver?s class/Driven class would be eligible to receive the award even though some equipment would have been adapted to increase the drivability.

I know that you want to make the rules as short, simple and straightforward as possible, but trying to document things like retrofitted dual master cylinder systems, auxiliary cooling fans, and so forth will be a nightmare on the judging field, especially given that this class could have more than a hundred entries in 2005.

Looking at individual components really is too much like 400 point judging. And, it may result in a car being disqualified from this award when it might have received a GOLD or possibly even a SENIOR award in the 400 point system.

Picture the ?perfect? restoration of a 39 Buick, except that it has an alternator, an A/C system and auxiliary cooling fan. Everything else is authentic and in as new condition. Without the judging manual in front of me, I?m guessing at the point deductions, but I believe this car could still qualify for a Gold in the 400 point system but IF the owner drove the car to the meet and decided they wanted the Driven Award recognition instead, he/she would be disqualified because of something like 12 points worth of deductions??

For an all or nothing award like the driven award, I think the philosophy requires that you look at the overall presentation of the vehicle to determine if it?s been modified to an extent that it should NOT receive the award.

My understanding of the philosophy of the award when it was approved was that this was to recognize those Buicks that have been driven to the meet, entered in the Driven Class and which would range in condition from fully restored cars to cars that are fully presentable ( nice 20 footers ) but not necessarily restored with judged competition in mind. My understanding was also that modifications resulting in disqualification for this award would be major modifications that would clearly move the car from the stock presentation category to the modified/street rod/hot rod category.

I also think that Keith Horsfall really has enough to do with getting the judging system for the Modified Division off the ground without hitting him with a Driver?s Award in that Division right off the bat. And, as someone on the forum said earlier, modified folks DRIVE their cars so a Modified Driven award might be redundant, or there could even be a point penalty for trailering a modified car in their system. Let?s see what they develop before adding to their task list.

My understanding of the philosophy behind creating the Driver?s class/Driven class was to recognize those folks who have chosen to DRIVE their older Buicks to the meet rather than trailer them or drive modern cars, even though some of the cars will have had SOME equipment modified from the as built condition.

My suggestion is that the criteria for denying the Driven Award to any Buick that is driven to the meet AND ENTERED in Driven class on the basis of modifications to the ?as built by BUICK? status should exhibit major mods along the lines of the following. The extent of the modifications should be such that returning the car to ?stock? status would be impossible or at least economically unfeasible. Note: These might also be used as guidelines for members wondering when their car should be entered in the modified class.

Body?

Philosophy-to receive the Driven Award, the cars body is structurally and dimensionally as the stylists/engineers at Buick intended.

If body has been chopped, channeled, sectioned or otherwise structurally modified from the as built by BUICK configuration, it will be considered Modified to an extent that it should be disqualified from receiving the Driven Award. Addition of a roll cage would disqualify the car from receiving the Driven award. Addition of a 3 or 4 point safety harness would NOT disqualify a car from the Driven Award.

Engine/driveline/chassis?

Philosophy-- The engine is of the type appropriate to that year/era.

In other words, a straight 8 car needs a straight 8 engine-but not necessarily from that year of manufacture. A nailhead era big car ( 53-66 ) should have a nailhead. Special/Skylarks from 61-67 could have had aluminum V-8, V-6, 300, 340 or nailhead after 65, depending on the individual year.

Example?a 37 Buick running a 50 straight 8?give it the Driven Award. Even if its running a Dynaflow since Dynaflow was a part of the straight 8 era.

A 38 Buick running a 455?disqualify it from the Driven award. The car is from the straight 8 era, the engine is NOT a straight 8.

A 70 Skylark running a 455?gets the award. Car and engine are from the same era--it gets the award.

If the drive line of the car is within the ?era? of the car with era?s considered--pre-30, straight 8, nailhead, 455, corporate stuff-- then the car gets the award.

This philosophy would allow you to disqualify cars based on substantial power train modifications?open drive line prior to 60, 4 speed tranny prior to sometime in the 60?s, automatic overdrive tranny prior to late 70?s, but does permit additional cooling, 8 volt battery, alternator, A/C, plastic wiring instead of cotton/lacquer, modern or K and N style air filter. etc.

Interior?

Philosophy?the interior of the car is structurally of a type commonly available in that era.

What does this mean? Construction?not material.

Bucket seats were not available 1958 and earlier. After 1958, Buckets or bench. High Back buckets came along in the early/mid 70?s.

Interior fabrics can be cloth, leather, vinyl etc. Color, stitching and so forth are not expected to be correct.

Extra gauges, CB?s, speakers, tape/CD players/ modern radios and other comfort and convenience accessories, provided they are installed with reasonable workmanship will NOT disqualify the car from the Driven Award.

Chassis?

Philosophy?with the exception of wheels/tires/brakes?the major components of the chassis and suspension are as intended by Buick for that year car.

Brakes?There is already a post on the DF documenting that OLDS offered dual master cylinder retrofit kit for 62-66 models based on info from a 1974 Olds parts book. Buick probably did the same, and since the 62 and 61 are not significantly different, this probably extends backwards for awhile. Did OLDS cut the year off at 62 because their kit couldn?t be used on earlier years or because 62 is 12 years before the date of the book and there was some policy about deleting information for cars over 12 years of age from current parts books?

And, since disc brakes and dual masters both arrived at Buick in 1967 does the above retrofit information pertain to drum brakes or disc/drum conversions?

If this documentation can be found it would be fantastic to include in the judging handbook for the 400 point system, but maybe for the Driven class we need to accept that updated brakes will happen and NOT disqualify the car from the Driven Award.

Dual master cylinder conversion or power brake conversion in Driven class?grant the award.

Front disc brakes?getting really close to the line?grant the award

4-wheel disc brakes and/or ABS?reserve judgement to see if this actually shows up on a large number 50?s and 60?s cars that are not already heavily modified in some other area.

Wheels/tires?With the concerns over the use of radial tires on older wheels, and the desire of many folks who drive their cars long distances to use radials, you?re likely to see radial tires on Buick road wheels or other later model wheels with the correct hubcaps and even some Cragers or other aftermarket wheels. As long as the wheel diameter/tire size and whitewall width is reasonable for the era of the car?14/15 A body, 15 big car, 15/16 straight 8 big car?grant the award.

The Driven Award and the Driven Class are something that has been needed by the BCA for a long time. I?m very glad that the class was approved and will be a feature of all future nationals. Like all innovations, there?s always some tweaking needed after the first time it happens.

After all, the car on the Driven Award Medallion is a Buick Race car from early in Buick?s history. And, as Terry Dunham has told us many times, the Buick Racing Team Drove To WIN with cars that were not necessarily perfectly STOCK cars. Remember the race cars that somehow gained an underslung chassis in the rail cars on the way to the race.

Buick?s purpose in racing was to get its cars and their performance out in front of the public. Win on Saturday, sell on Monday. An important goal of the Driver?s class, as I understood it, was to encourage people with presentable, for the most part stock appearing Buicks, allowing some deviations from authenticity, to display their cars on the show field and receive some recognition for choosing to DRIVE their older Buick to the National rather than not attending/flying or driving modern.

Many of the cars in Driven class are the workhorses of our hobby. They are the tour cars, the nice weekend hobby cars that we all drive frequently and take the neighbors kid for a ride, or take to the local school for show and tell, or the local nursing home. They are the cars that show the world that BUICK has a long and proud history of building DRIVERS cars.

The goal of this class is also to have some fun and also attract some folks who feel that the full frame off restorations and competitiveness in the 400 point system are just not for them at this time in their lives. Don?t turn it into a baby 400 point system or the place were ?old? restorations go after they can no longer compete in the 400 point system.

It won?t hurt to be a little generous in forgiving minor updating in components and awarding those cars the Driven Award. It might even do some good and encourage that person in their 20?s or 30?s who has grandma?s, or Aunt Bea?s old Buick that they just love to get more involved in the hobby and bring the car to a National, even though over the years Aunt Bea owned it the Buick was repaired just enough to keep in from being an Archival Car but not enough to make it competitive in the world of 400 point judging.

Let me add one last what if to this.

Buick has a long history of providing handicap assist devices for customers needing them-dating back to at least World War II. I saw a few cars at Dallas with handicap placards-probably due to the graying of the BCA membership. I know that doctors can and sometimes do require things like power steering/brakes/A/C to allow a patient to resume driving. What would the decision be in Driven Class where a handicapped owner of say a 42 Buick had to equip the car with Power Steering and Dynaflow in order to be allowed to drive it.

Using the philosophy that I?ve outlined above, it would get the Driven Award. From what I?ve read in other posts, that same car would NOT have received the Driven Award in Dallas because Dynaflow, power steering and power brakes are NOT period accessories for a 42. So, we only permit handicap assist devices "sometimes." Not a good rule.

Now that we have 4 classes to enter cars at National Meets, there is some confusion in the club. Below are the 4 soundbites that I think of when someone asks me what class they should enter their car into.

An ideal car that is destined to compete for the 400 point Awards has been RESTORED with the same care and attention to authenticity as one would use in restoring a Victorian house to its as built status. The owner understands that the car will be judged for condition, authenticity and workmanship with the standard being how that car would have appeared at the end of the assembly line on the day it was built.

An ideal car that is destined to compete for the Archival Award has been COSMETICALLY UNTOUCHED in at least one major area: interior, exterior, engine or chassis since the day it left the assembly line. Repainting the car, replacing interior components, or detailing engine/chassis is likely to disqualify a car from receiving this award, especially if more than one of these has occurred.

An ideal car that is destined to compete in the Driven Award has been REFURBISHED on some level but not with the attention to authenticity and correctness in all areas that would be appropriate for a car destined to compete in the 400 point system. It has also been driven to the meet and is displayed in keeping with the philosophy that it is presented as a stock or close to stock car. Minor components may be updated without disqualification.

An ideal car that is destined to compete for the Modified Car Awards has been REMODELED to the owner?s personal taste in such a manner that the overall appearance and/or the running gear of the vehicle is no longer appropriate for the era of the vehicle. Such changes would be serious structural modifications to the body and/or updating the powertrain, chassis or interior components to components newer than the era of the car. These changes are effectively irreversible so that restoring the car to stock is not feasible.

As some of you know, I have worked on a number of frame off restorations and have 2 BCA Gold/Senior cars. One of them has been driven everywhere since it's

frame off restoration in 2001--Flint, San Diego, San Jose, Los Angeles and the BCA National in Dallas this year. The other gets trailered to distant meets. So, I own both trailered cars and driven cars. I still believe that we need the Driven Class in the BCA, but I hope Pat and his committee will consider the recommedations that I and others have made and NOT deny a participant in the Driven Class the Driven Award unless the car has very clearly crossed the line between being a "stock" presentation and being a "modified."

Al Eichelberger

BCA President 1996-1998

BCA Board member 1994-2000, 2002-2003

Guest my3buicks

Pertectly drawn up Al!!! Maybe this should be submitted as the guidelines for this class. Having followed the formation closely of this class I also feel that this is how the class was originally to have been set-up.

I agree completely with Als philosophy! I was somewhat sutprised to hear from Pat that my 40 Super convertible ( which has been to the Meadowbrook concurs and Eyes on Classic design events) would be ineligible because I installed a dual exhaust system using 41 exhaust manifolds. This car would still probably point high enought o get a bronze or silver award in the 400 point system if I chose to have it judged there. I have driven it 100,000 miles though and would prize the driven award more.