bra performance

Chuck Parry

I previously posted a request for a used bra for a Reatta. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they rub the paint or clear coat off from wind movement. In other words, I am wondering if they are safe for the paint. I have to drive a Reatta 1000 miles from Florida to New York and I want something that will protect the hood. I can run with the headlights on to protect the headlight covers. Any ideas of how safe they are for the paint? confused.gif

Chuck Parry

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am wondering if they are safe for the paint.</div></div> No they are not. ABSOLUTELY NOT! There will always be some rubbing and get dirt behind them shocked.gif.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can run with the headlights on to protect the headlight covers. </div></div> Yes that will work.

To DonB. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used one for a while. Nothing a little buffing with compound won't cure. Better than chips in the paint. </div></div> Buffing compound will only remove more clear coat.

If paint protection is important to you use a low stick masking tape and remove every evening! Use in lip of wheel wells also and on front of mirrors and on leading edge of roof.

A mask/bra will not hurt the paint/finish itself, it is the other things that cause problems.

The backside of the mask are made with soft flannel lining. when this gets wet, it attracts dirt, the dirt and water combine to form a rubbing compound.

You must remove and clean the mask reguarly to prevent damage. Most owners put them on and never take them off until it is too late.

To EDBSO,

That sounds very logical. I only need this protection for the long ride from Florida. What masking tape exactly our you refering to. Can you give me some examples? Is this a painters tape or what and how much of the front do I need to cover. I was hoping to find some of the white protective material that you see on cars coming directly from the factory.

Chuck

Barney,

Thanks for your reply. How difficult is it to put the bra on the car? I do not want to leave this on the car. I would only use it for long trips where there is a greater chance to recieve chips from bugs and stones. What do you think about applying the blue tape suggested first to keep the hood from getting rubbed by the bra movements from wind at high speeds?

Chuck

Guest DTerry

Actually there are only two kinds of tape: The kind that won't stay on, and the kind that won't come off. grin.gif

Guest EDBS0

Chuck, after thinking about it a bit more "I think there may be a bra compromise solution.

For me (and you will require input from other users) the wear on the paint occured on the fender sides by the stitching and across the hood at the edge. Thinking about it, you could tape the areas where you expected wear and use a bra once these areas were protected. Just an additional 2 cts.

Hi:

I used a Bra for my trip to Flint for the meet last year and drove 6112 miles and the bra did not harm the Reatta color white. I took it off when it rained and dried and installed it with no problems. I also used it on my '90 red Reatta and my green '91 Reatta and no problems!

Art the other Reatta Tec Advisor

Attached is a picture of two Polo green cars parked together. There were about 118 made.

Have any of you seen the 3M protective film applied to the front of a car?

This if fairly new and not cheap. It is somewhat like clear window tint film but is thick enough to protect the paint. I talked to a fellow last week that had it applied to his Audi... cost about $500 to do the front, hood up about 8 inches, both mirrors, and he had a 3-4 inch strip above the windshield.

Not a lot of shops do this because of the cost. 3M claims it can be removed and not damage the paint.

I always have hung mine in the floormat holders in a doityourself carwash and blasted them clean smirk.gif

Or this recommended way works also.

Clean the bra while it is still on your car with normal car washing soap. After you clean the outer vinyl side, take it off if possible and wash the innerside (cotton / polyester) with the same soap. After that, put the bra aside while you clean the rest of you car. And then reapply the bra either after the bra has had a chance to drip most of the water off or before you drive the car again. The sheen will stay the same as long as you keep it clean. There is no need to put any dressing on it, if you do it will attract dirt and it will restrict the breathing, which dries the bra.

LeBra does make a product it recommends to apply which wont hurt the bra.